WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,Whilst my requirements might not be specific, I'm looking for ideas for my next watch.
Although my current collection is somewhat modest (well.. I've three watches, really, which is a shy number compared to the signatures to some users here!), I'll be expanding over the next month or so.
I have a $10,000 limit (in Australia), and whilst I was certain of what I wanted the last time I bought one (12 months ago, got an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean), this time I'm not so sure, as my budget is almost double what it was.
I've considered the idea of getting two $5000 watches, but essentially some of the more expensive pieces are a bit hard to say no to.
I'm particularly keen on the IWC portuguese range: something that has a classic look.
I've considered the option of a Rolex Submariner, but it looks a bit over the top in terms of bulk. My Planet Ocean (45.5mm) is already big and heavy.
Obviously breitling will be out of the question, too.

Any other ideas of what might be out there for this price range?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
How about a dog instead of a watch? Maybe a German Shepherd. Just a thought. If this is a serious request, then I would start brainstorming and researching styles on your own instead of allowing others to sway your opinion. Something that is this large of a purchase should be something that you want, not something that we want. Best thing to do is to go to a fine jeweler and try on a few of their watches. Good luck ;). :-!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.
It is a genuine request. Not so much asking people to choose for me, but to get ideas of what's out there.
I feel bad about going to watch stores, look around, and walk out if I don't like anything.
In any case, whilst when I bought my Omega they had it in stock as it's a fairly popular model, there are a lot more watches out there than a jeweler would carry.
Which is why I'm asking for suggestions of what to look for/look out for.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
Thanks.
It is a genuine request. Not so much asking people to choose for me, but to get ideas of what's out there.
I feel bad about going to watch stores, look around, and walk out if I don't like anything.
In any case, whilst when I bought my Omega they had it in stock as it's a fairly popular model, there are a lot more watches out there than a jeweler would carry.
Which is why I'm asking for suggestions of what to look for/look out for.
Well, I suppose it's a mindset and it comes with job experience. If you have ever been a salesman or worked in retail, you don't typically feel as bad. For me, I felt bad looking around and trying things on when I knew I COULDN'T buy something. But now that I know that I could if I wanted to, I don't feel bad about it, and I actually feel insulted if they don't ask me if I want to try it on or at least ask if I need assistance with anything. Just try thinking about it this way. You aren't leading anybody on if you are being genuine about wanting to make a purchase. You are just trying to see what products they can offer you. Trust me, they want to be able to impress you with something they have. They make commission buddy ;). They aren't insulted at all. They just want a chance at making a sale. If they don't make a sale, well, you will probably be the 564th person who walked out with nothing that day :p. I doubt they will remember you, or care if they don't make a sale :p.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I would find somewhere around me that has a high end mall or something like that, that has multiple AD's, and do some comparison shopping, with that chunk of change.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
How about a dog instead of a watch? Maybe a German Shepherd. Just a thought. If this is a serious request, then I would start brainstorming and researching styles on your own instead of allowing others to sway your opinion. Something that is this large of a purchase should be something that you want, not something that we want. Best thing to do is to go to a fine jeweler and try on a few of their watches. Good luck ;). :-!
I understand a dog costs about $10 - 12,000 over its life-span; a cat, somewhat less at $8,000 or so. And my advice to you regarding a watch is similar in one respect: get something you love. Other than the unavoidable realities of an upper budget limit, I think looking for a watch at a particular price point is going about it backwards. Should you reject that Portuguese you really love at $7K, or that nifty diver at 5K because the transaction will give you too much change back?

Find what you love that's in range and if there's change back from your ten thousand dollar bill, start a fund for your next love. We can't know what will make your heart stir. This should be your job and your joy. Buy quality, and buy what you love. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Personally I think IWC Portuguese is very nicely finished but a little plain. You can spend 2-3k and get a really nice looking watch that is similar in looks to the IWC. For around 3K I'd look at MeisterSinger. For a 10k budget I'd look at Glashutte Original PanoMactic Lunar XL, Chopard 1937, Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece or the more adventurous Chopard Tech Twist (above budget) and Linde Werdelin SpidoLite II

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I am a big Montblanc (MB) fan. At $10000 Aus you are well in range of some of fantastic MB offerings that compete, in my opinion, with watches above their price range. Here is the latest forum discussion on MBs: https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/montblanc-thoughts-640270.html

I am going to recommend two MBs. First, the Nicolas Rieussec. An very unique piece, in-house MB R200 movement, 43mm, vertical clutch, column wheel, comparitively rare. Look for the 106487 and 106488, white and black guilloche respectively. They just announced (Jan 2012) a new version of the R200...the MB R210 dubbed the Nicolas Rieussec Hometime. A little more expensive and likely not in your stores until much later this year. I prefer the simplicity of the MB R200 watches.

The other rec is the Timewalker Twinfly Flyback. A sporty column wheel, vertical clutch chrono using the in-house LL100 movement. It is a new watch as of 2011. There is a PVD covered limited edition, of which there were 300 made. There is a high polished SS version that is a little dressier. There is also the newly announced (Jan 2012) Grey Tech which you won't find until much later this year either.

There will be many of the standard recommendations, so I figured I'd get the unconventional recommendations out of the way. Good Luck!

Nicolas Rieussec MB R200

Montblanc Timewalker Twinfly Flyback:

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
If you're looking for something classic, and with your budget, I'd definitely look at Jaeger LeCoultre. The Master Dualtime is a great watch

(image from prestigetime.com)

If you want to get a heirloom quality dress watch (not a dressy watch, but a proper dress watch), the Master Ultra Thin Moon is hard to beat

(image from prestigetime.com again)

Last, but not least, you might be interested in a true gentleman's watch, the Grande Reverso Ultra Thin.

(image from prestigetime.com)

For offerings from another highly respected watch maker, Glashutte Original has some awesome watches in your price range:

The amazing PanoMaticLunar and PanoReserve

(images from you-know-where)

Congratulationss on having a wonderful dilemma. Take your time and look at lots of watches, try on as many as possible, and learn about watches and about yourself.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Just so you know, we're not being intentionally vague. But threads like these usually end up with recommendations that are all over the place. Perhaps you could give us some requirements so we can give better suggestions instead of recommending what we want for ourselves?

On that note, i recommend the AP RO, just because.

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Just so you know, we're not being intentionally vague. But threads like these usually end up with recommendations that are all over the place. Perhaps you could give us some requirements so we can give better suggestions instead of recommending what we want for ourselves?

On that note, i recommend the AP RO, just because.
I recommend anything except an AP RO... Just because :-d

But in all seriousness, check out Vulcain. Chances are VERY good you won't see another one of these on someone's wrist

·
Registered
2,170 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
If you would have asked for watch suggestions for around $100, at this point, half the members of this forum would have already eagerly replied with numerous suggestions of Malaysian made watches. Unfortunately, the same enthusiasm for higher end luxury watches does not seem to apply with the majority of the forum members.

Now, on to your question. I too am looking for a new watch roughly in the same price range and these are a few of the watches that I am considering:

39-47-13-12-14_main.jpg

5015-1130-52_main.jpg

q1538470_main.jpg

5001-07_main.jpg

The G.O. is the one I am leaning towards the most and the IWC is a close second.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I can sort of sympathize where the OP is coming from. I'm in sales (sort of) and the last thing I'd want is to walk into an AD and say "hi I'm looking for something in the $10k range, but I have no knowledge of what's out there." At best the salesperson will recommend something like a solid gold Invicta https://www.watchuseek.com/f29/sold-invicta-solid-platinum-18k-gold-watch-very-rare-603168.html with the assumption the OP is looking for style over substance.

My recommendation is to browse an online grey market dealer to get a better idea of what's available. Omega watches, Tag Heuer watches, Breitling Watches, Longines watches, Baume & Mercier watches has a number of good brands that WUS members love - Glashutte, JLC, Zenith. Take a look and post what models catch you eye. That way you might get some concise recommendations rather than people just throwing whatever is on the top of their grail lists.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I don't know...

I'd rather enjoy wearing the variety of five $2000 watches!

:-d

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
If you would have asked for watch suggestions for around $100, at this point, half the members of this forum would have already eagerly replied with numerous suggestions of Malaysian made watches. Unfortunately, the same enthusiasm for higher end luxury watches does not seem to apply with the majority of the forum members.

I doubt at all its a lack of enthusiasm, at the 10k price bracket - people have a different view of things, people that can afford a 10k watch typically know what they want, and by virtue of having that money generally know when and how they're going to spend it.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Boy what a list, I would go absolutely insane trying to pick one. But my gut says Portugese. GO is awesome, but honestly I find it over priced. Same with BP, I know its classic and it speaks volumes in person, but I'm sure it can be a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi all,
Well I appreciate all the suggestions!

To respond to come comments:
I do have a 10k budget to buy a watch. Having said that, it doesn't imply that I know much about watches, other than what I think looks good from browsing through shop's windows.
Which is why I'm here, I suppose: to get a better indication of what I should be looking FOR, instead of what I'd be looking at.

I'm glad to be getting ideas of people's likes and wants. Perhaps I'll see something that I too will like.
For example, the IWC Portuguese with the blue hands looks superb to me. Similarly, JLC would have been a brand I'd never have thought of, but now am considering instead of the IWC as they look amazing.

The Montbancs pictured above are also incredible, so from not knowing much, I have a list here, and pictures of watches that is more extensive (to a degree) to that which I'd find at a watch shop.
So thank you to all who participated!

I'll keep looking and take into consideration everyone's advise.

I'll certainly take a little video of the unboxing once I buy it!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Look at the Portuguese on your wrist, it's a beautiful timepiece. Also look at Zenith El Primero line or maybe a Rolex Daytona.

Best of luck,
Rob

1 - 20 of 42 Posts