WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my beautiful girlfriends 21st birthday is coming up in a month, and I would love to buy her a special timepiece to commemorate this milestone.
I have slowly taken her from zero interest in watches, to a place where she happily browses ebay with me for hours on end.

That said, she is frustrating as hell to buy for! The watches she has expressed interest in are lower quality fashion watches, and while I am happy to cater to this, I feel as though I should buy something that while pleasing to her, will also last the distance. I will present some of the watches that she has expressed interest in, to give you an idea of the aesthetic she enjoys.

This is the one she identified as her favourite:

dkny-ny4983_198416.jpg 590x400_aHR0cDovL3Rpa3Rha2Rlc2lnbi5jb20vc2tsZXAvbnk4NDcwL255ODQ3MF8xLkpQRw.jpg

She also found these appealing, but was not as enthusiastic:

technomarine-moonsun-ceramic-TLCCB02C-14117-watch.jpg BU1770.jpg rado-true-jubile-black-ceramic-ladies-watch-r27655732.jpg

She has a small wrist, so anything bigger than 36mm will probably be out of the question. She is also a big steampunk enthusiast, and loves open heart/skeleton dials, but can't stand the feminine variants which inevitably feature hearts and the like over the dial. She also hates cluttered dials, which I know is at odds with all the chronographs I have shown.

Anyway, it's apparent that each watch will be taken on a case by case basis, as I find watches that fit her criteria that she loathes, and some that break all the rules that she loves.

Anyway, a few loose guidelines that I have picked up from her:

• No gold/2 tone
  • No overly feminine touches (Hearts, butterflies etc)
  • No colour (especially in the stones if there are any)
  • No overly busy dials. 3 plain chronograph dials seem to be the busiest.
  • Doesn't like bracelets she deems 'manly'. IE: sports bracelets
  • No leather bands or rubber
  • No mother of pearl

Some things I have noticed her trending towards:

• Ceramic watches are nice, but not 2 tone (black/stainless etc)
  • Simple diamond/CZ hour markers OR diamond/CZ bezel. But not both at once

My criteria:

• Budget is around $1000. Less would be nice, but can spend more for the perfect piece.
  • Quality! This is meant to be a lasting piece.

Basically what I would like from you guys is a spitball session! If you can think of any watches that meet some of these parameters, let loose! I plan on showing her everything. We are in a semi-major city in Australia, so most of the big brands are here, but a lot of the smaller ones are not, or display a reduced range. I am not afraid of buying online and from overseas.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Shane

·
Registered
605 Posts
If she likes ceramic then i think Rado is your best bet, they are at least a decent swiss watch maker.
This is right at your budget and seems to be what she likes.

Would prefer an auto of course but a ceramic auto for under 1k probably isnt happening.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
DKNY actually looks quite nice in both colors. But if simple design and ceramic material are your (her) thing, then Rado is certainly the first watchmaker to check...

Reactions: skorN83

·
Registered
41 Posts
Basically every second girl I know has this, and loves it. Sure, it may not possess the horological value of more expensive brands, but it doesn't seem like that's what you girlfriend is after; as well as liking the look of the watch, she may appreciate a well known designer name such as Michael Kors instead.

Ok so it turns out I can't attach an image, here is a link http://images.bloomingdales.com/is/...&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

·
Registered
447 Posts
My girlfriend has a Michele and seems to like it. This one is 35mm Ceramic. They have more blingy ones too.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Do you have a Movado Customer Store near you? They're usually in the Outlet Malls. If you do, go there and check out the Ebel Sportwave line as an option.

The above example can be found on Amazon for about $1200, but I'm betting you can get if for less at the Movado store and get the AD warranty to boot.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
does she want new?

if she doesn't mind pre-owned, is there a brand that she gravitate towards to?
for $1000, could definitely take a look at Chanel, Cartier, Tiffany, Tudor, Longines (Dolce Vita), Baume et Mercier, TAG Heuer, Raymond Weil (Jasmine, Noemia), Oris (Aquis Date, Big Crown)

best of luck ~

·
Registered
580 Posts
I've got recently one of my friend this: Bulova 96P15 (I see no reason buying an automatic to a constantly watch changing non-WIS person).

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys, I have compiled a veritable who's who of the ladies watch world to run through some ideas with the lady. If we can't find one out of this pile, then I'm just going to by something for myself!

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys, I have compiled a veritable who's who of the ladies watch world to run through some ideas with the lady. If we can't find one out of this pile, then I'm just going to by something for myself!
Well, no offense to your girlfriend, but if after all this, she can't find one she likes, then yes, you go buy yourself something!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I suggest looking at the Bulova Precisionist line. Since it seems you have halfways infected her with the watch bug, she might enjoy knowing that her watch is also damn precise.

Search for "Bulova Precisionist Women" on Amazon.

Here are a couple of nice pieces (although both of them have a mother-of-pearl dial - but you did say that she might like something irrespective of her rules):

Bulova Women's 96R153 Precisionist Brightwater Swirl pattern Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

Bulova Women's 96P115 Precisionist Longwood Diamond MOP Dial Steel Bracelet Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Rolex Daytona.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Why not just respect her wishes and buy the DKNY? That's a really pretty watch, especially in the cream.

If she had canvassed you in the same manner, you had stipulated your preference yet she ignored you and surpised you with something you liked less...what would you think?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Why not just respect her wishes and buy the DKNY? That's a really pretty watch, especially in the cream.

If she had canvassed you in the same manner, you had stipulated your preference yet she ignored you and surpised you with something you liked less...what would you think?
I think this is the best advice you could ever get here. I may or may not know watches, but I do know women.:roll:

Dean

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts
I agree with DDD and Loco... we'll not crucify you if you bought your gf a fashion watch, particularly if it's one you know she likes.

That said, you want a quality, long lasting piece. And that DKNY probably ain't it.

Christopher Ward has a bunch of nice women's watches, some automatic, and most within your price range. They're not exactly the blingy ceramic style, but there are a few more options for you.
View All Dress/Classic Women

·
Registered
21,042 Posts
With your budget, both Rado and Michele are within reach, which has a lot of watches that satisfy the current white ceramic craze.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts