WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello -

I have recently developed an interest in automatic watches, having learned that my grandfather's been wearing the same Omega watch since WWII. I've been reading about the industry and going to shops for a couple months now. Would you help me?

Here's what I think I'm looking for:
1. I think I want a Swiss movement, though only because I don't know better probably.
2. Titanium or stainless band. My current watch is titanium and it's quite light. Don't care for two-tone.
3. Date and/or day window is really nice.
4. I'd like a portion of the movement to be visible. I previously thought that was my most important criteria and bought a Swatch Body and Soul (please don't flame), but have since learned that I really like hour markings.
5. 38mm is the widest I go, and thinner is better.
6. Sapphire crystal face so it doesn't get scratched.
7. $500 max

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Welcome to WUS!

It seems like you have done some good research already.

1. There is certainly nothing wrong with Swiss movements. They tend to be accurate, refined, and reliable out of the box. But you're right to keep an open mind for others, especially Japanese.

2. Titanium weighs half as much and is that weird gray that always looks tarnished to me. It costs more too. I'd skip it and focus on the other things for now.

3-6. Noted.

Here are the watches I'd be looking at:

Seiko Spirit. Top-Right two watches on this page. What do you think? Has everything except the nationality. ;)

Seiko 5s are a huge series, have day/date, but only a Hardlex crystal. But the prices are so nice, starting around $60. Look on Amazon.

This one has everything you're looking for again, except the nationality. It even displays the balance through an aperture in the face! $110 + $20 shipping. Price can be found on this page.

For the full Swiss treatment, check out Tissot. They have an automatic version of the PR50 that meets all your criteria. Their site isn't really link-friendly, so you'll have to look yourself.

Also, look up Steinhart watches.

Let us know what you end up with!

-Jeremy

Hello -

I have recently developed an interest in automatic watches, having learned that my grandfather's been wearing the same Omega watch since WWII. I've been reading about the industry and going to shops for a couple months now. Would you help me?

Here's what I think I'm looking for:
1. I think I want a Swiss movement, though only because I don't know better probably.
2. Titanium or stainless band. My current watch is titanium and it's quite light. Don't care for two-tone.
3. Date and/or day window is really nice.
4. I'd like a portion of the movement to be visible. I previously thought that was my most important criteria and bought a Swatch Body and Soul (please don't flame), but have since learned that I really like hour markings.
5. 38mm is the widest I go, and thinner is better.
6. Sapphire crystal face so it doesn't get scratched.
7. $500 max

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
It may also be worth noting that you can score a pretty nice vintage Omega on ebay for $500. It will probably have an acrylic crystal though. Scratch prone, but easy to polish. Water resistance may be an issue, but you'd have a top-class watch and continue the family brand tradition.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually tried on the PR50 this afternoon at a jeweler... I was nearly ready to purchase it. Perhaps I will do so! I asked the gentleman what he would recommend as a starter Swiss automatic and he pointed that one out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts