WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
found this forum by accident, and out of curiosity hit Russian watches and sure enough someone had pictures of a watch i have. received as a gift many years ago and at the time could not find any information on it, could have been lack of internet skills and/or content. anyway, going by some pictures, i think its a version of the amphibian.

so far the info i have is reading some of the threads and reading this Vostok watches - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mine came with 2 diff set of papers and one manual, if i recall the watch was bought at a yard sale.

paper 1:
model id: 420945-42 QC:2 76 MFR date: june 29th 1999

paper 2:
model id: 431831-44 XPOM QC: 2 76 MFR. date august 3rd 1999

i just noticed i have 2 manuals as well:

manual headlines read as:

1. "Kommandirskiye" 17-Jewel Mechanical Watch
2. self-winding soviet KGB watch

would really love to fully identify this watch, any and all info/help greatly appreciated.
will post pictures after i upload them

edit: couple of pictures attached.
couple more here:
Vostok pictures by sn1p3rman - Photobucket

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
In my opinion it's komandirskie. On the dial is written "captain of the submarine". It should be automatic with 2416 vostok movement. I'm sure other members can give you more detailed info about it

·
Registered
195 Posts
I made a mistake here. If it's automatic it should be Amfibia, if it's manual winding then it should be Komandirskie. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think it is automatic, but it may malfunctioning a bit or something because the seconds hand does move a bit when i move the watch around, but it stops quick after i stop moving it. unlike my other automatic which with a couple of circles goes on for quite a bit.

thank you for the reply.

i would also like to know what the back says and what the designs mean if anyone knows.

thanks.

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Sniperman,

It seems this watch came with its own papers and an extra set of papers for another watch. It is undoubtedly a Komandirskie in Type 431 case, hand-wind movement, and "submarine commander" dial. The flat "sunrise with big bird" means it is definitely a hand-wind movement.

The sticky thread on Vostok Komandirskie and Amphibia classification should be of some help too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I made a mistake here. If it's automatic it should be Amfibia, if it's manual winding then it should be Komandirskie. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
No, there are automatic kommandirskies of that type too.

Looking at the dial design, I would say kommandirskie.

EDIT:
17 Jewels would mean hand winding if I'm correct?
So why does it state automatic?

EDIT2:
Since there are two information booklets;
It's definitely the kommandisrkie, hand winding.

And, it is definitely original.

http://www.m-watches.com/catalog/komandirskie-vostok-automatic-921831-p-151.html?cPath=26_21

This is the same dial as you have.

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Sniperman,

You can buy brand new ones from Smirs and other mail order houses, it would be less than US$41 including delivery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
whoa awesome, is there one specific way to search for like my watch, is there a model or something to go buy, because ive noticed everymodel has like various diff looks to them.

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Sniperman,

The problem with these Vostok sports watches is that there is a very large degree of parts interchangeability, and even in the factory, there's a lot of mix-and-match going on. Therefore, trying to identify a watch by dial design is an exercise in futility: an Amphibia with a Komandirskie dial would not make it a Komandirskie!

That's the reason why I started the classification project: identify the case, then you're on a good footing. And I do hope that we can adopt the case type code number as a mean of referring to any specimen too.

Say if you want to have another Komandirskie, and have found a case style you like, note the case type number (for example your specimen is 43x, and 431 means chrome finish) then you can look at the various offerings by dealers to find one with a dial design that is appealing. Simple huh? b-)

Regarding the one you linked to at Smirs, it is a bit odd because the case type is 811 but the picture is 431; the code for your dial is 831 (which says submarine commander) but the dial shown is 163 (which just says Komandireskie).

·
Registered
190 Posts
That's a modern komandirskie with a 2414 handwind movmnt, i have some doubt about the back but it's all right probably.
Enjoy it without concerns, it's a solid mule |>

·
Registered
824 Posts
That's a Komandirskie, probably produced sometime between 2000 and 2006. I have the same watch with a different dial. It looks like Vostok provided papers for both the automatic and manual-wind versions, but only the manual Komandirskie uses that caseback. The automatic movement wouldn't even fit into that case with that back on it.

It's not worth a whole lot, but it's a good watch.

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
pyjujiop,

First of all the papers for the Komandirskie match the watch, so we can feel safe saying that it was indeed made on 3rd August 1999.

I suspect the person who sold this watch to the person who gave it to Sniperman kept the Amphibia but disposed of the papers along with this Komandirskie: Type 420945 refers to a round-case Amphibia with automatic movement and a blue "KGB" dial with the insignia in the middle of the dial. Picture of this from Solod:

·
Registered
824 Posts
pyjujiop,

First of all the papers for the Komandirskie match the watch, so we can feel safe saying that it was indeed made on 3rd August 1999.
I didn't notice that the first time! o|

Well, I was only off by a few months. I've seen ones with that combination of parts from as early as 2000, but not '99.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Uff... big confusion...

as said by Sam (Seele), this watch is coincident with paper 2:

It's a Komandirskie model with case type 43 and dial 831. His movement is manual (2414 with 17 jewels).

This type of caseback was used between the mid '90s and early 2000s... so is ok too.

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Uff... big confusion...

as said by Sam (Seele), this watch is coincident with paper 2:

It's a Komandirskie model with case type 43 and dial 831. His movement is manual (2414 with 17 jewels).

This type of caseback was used between the mid '90s and early 2000s... so is ok too.
Thanks NHT; I am not too far off heh ;-)

About the case back: this is what I call the "big bird" and there are also two forms of the "little bird" as well, as far as I can tell.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts