WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please, help me in the identification of granddad's watch.
Grandpa brought this watch from World War II.
The watch was wound last time somewhere in 50's (according to my dad), then one of lugs was broken. My dad found this watch after granddad's death in 1967.

This watch has sentimental value for me as my grandpa dead 6 years before my birth and this is only one thing remained from him.

On the face wrote: ORMO
On the back:
Boden
Edelstahl
R&W

0_DSC00950-01.jpeg
0_DSC00944-01.jpeg
0_20170309_212712~01.jpg

·
Registered
647 Posts
What a nice thing to have from your grandfather. Sadly I cannot help you with information about it. If it was mine is have the lug fixed by someone competent. Movement cleaned and serviced and crystal replaced...the rest of leave as it is.

·
Registered
208 Posts
That movement has me stumped. Something at the back of my brain says "FEF/Fleurier," namely the way the dial feet are held in place and the shape of the balance bridge. But that is just food for thought.

I'll second Replate It for case repairs. Repairing the broken lug isn't nearly as big of a job as you might think.

It would be wonderful to bring your grandfather's watch out of the drawer and onto the wrist.

Reactions: WuStig

·
Registered
397 Posts
The movement is actually from the AS 984 family. Quite common and if parts needed it's a good thing.

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: AS 984

The movement on your watch is a simpler one with 15 jewels (17 was max) and without shock protection.

Ormo is actually a German brand from Raisch & Wössner KG in the city Pforzheim (famous horological center in Germany). The bran was registered in 1930.

The poor case was also made in Germany by Raisch & Wössner KG (Pforzheim) as R&W in an oval shape is their registered logo.

Ormo is not an unkown brand. Seen some watches online.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it was mine is have the lug fixed by someone competent. Movement cleaned and serviced and crystal replaced...the rest of leave as it is.
I'll second Replate It for case repairs. Repairing the broken lug isn't nearly as big of a job as you might think.
It would be wonderful to bring your grandfather's watch out of the drawer and onto the wrist.
As it seems the last time this watch was serviced sometimes in 50's. I'm going to bring it back to life. As I sad, this watch has sentimental value for me

The movement is actually from the AS 984 family. Quite common and if parts needed it's a good thing.

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: AS 984

The movement on your watch is a simpler one with 15 jewels (17 was max) and without shock protection.

Ormo is actually a German brand from Raisch & Wössner KG in the city Pforzheim (famous horological center in Germany). The bran was registered in 1930.

The poor case was also made in Germany by Raisch & Wössner KG (Pforzheim) as R&W in an oval shape is their registered logo.

Ormo is not an unkown brand. Seen some watches online.
Thanks for information

·
Registered
208 Posts
Nice catch!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hope you keep us updated on the progress of this watch. I think the dial will look great under a new cyrstal.

I am also having my grandfather's watch brought back to life. After months of looking i finally found the part i need to get the ball rolling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts