WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone. I have been wearing the Swiss Army Watch my wife gave me for law school graduation for about a dozen years. It's great. Has sentimental value etc. But I am now looking to buy a nice watch. For career, to let myself know that I have earned it, because I want a treat etc.

I am an attorney at a medium-sized, fairly laid back law firm in the mid-Atlantic region. And am generally a fun loving guy; don’t need to wear a suit everyday. But still need to be professional.
After thinking I would get a Shinola then thinking better of it, then considering some Fortis Terrestis, some Stowa, some Nomos, I have decided on either the Ortis Artix Complication or the Frederique Constant Runabout Moonphase. I like that the FC is 43 mm – big enough to be big but not gargantuan; love the Arabic numerals; and it’s about $400 cheaper. But love the fact that Oris has day and month along with that same date. I do, however, dislike the two dots on either side of the crown on the Oris. And the Oris face is 1 mm smaller. The watch I have now has a black face so I want a white one. And also want good night time illumination which is hard to find. So any thoughts there would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
60,591 Posts
You've got no chance of getting an unbiassed opinion from me as I would get the Oris over almost anything else in a nanosecond. The presence of batons over Arabic Numerals would just make the Oris more of a cert for me.

·
Registered
337 Posts
While I happen to like both companies as a whole and think you narrowed it down to a couple of very good options, I think sticky hit the nail on the head in reference to the arabic numerals.

I like the font of the numerals on the FC, however on this style of watch, it makes it seem less sophisticated, less classy, or "cheaper" in a way.

But really, get what your instincts are telling you to get since they are both very nice.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I prefer the look of the Oris, not just because of the batons vs numerals. The colour of the dial speaks to me more.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I like both brands. Between these two, I'd go with the Oris because I'm not as big of a fan of Arabic numbers. Stepping beyond these two, I really like the FC slimline moon phase but not sure if that's in your price range.

·
Moderator Public Forum
21,910 Posts
The Oris looks better to me for a couple of reasons. The FC numerals make an already full dial just a bit busy while markers look more balanced. The Oris case from the bezel to the lugs looks much more attractive. The FC case is a bit too rounded for me.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I happen to love the FC. I like it in gold even better. I also happen to like Arabic numerals-easier to read with a nanosecond glance. Only thing I don't like about the FC is the size-43mm is too big for my wrist.

·
Banned
404 Posts
I've put them side by side.
The FC hands are more legible, the numbers are also bolder which makes it so easy to quickly glance at the time and also $400 cheaper.
I assumed movements are similar?
Decisions, decisions but make sure you try them on your wrist before buying.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
I love sporty Oris watches and I don't like classic Oris watches but I think this Oris watch is more pretty than FC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts