WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lovely son will be 18 later this year and we are planning to buy him a watch. We’re not exactly experts but would rather it did not need a battery. His dad has a basic Longines, which has proven very robust, any other suggestions? Budget is £2000 ish, I’d happily buy preloved if needs be. Also, best place to buy? We’re in Scotland. Thank you everyone 🙂

·
Registered
426 Posts
I would recommend a black dial stainless steel diver for an 18 year old. Every watch collection should have a stainless and black watch. For your 2k budget, you have lots of choices. Sinn as @sticky mentioned is a good, but I would recommend also looking at ORIS which is a great independent brand. Of course if you want to support UK brands, you can look at Christopher Ward, Farer etc.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Watch Analog watch Photograph White Light

I'd be thrilled to receive a Longines of any kind!
The Heritage seems about within budget.
Good for almost any occasion with a backup for rough and tumble.
And Dad's Longines will have a great companion!
Personally I see that budget and I think, "a collection of three or four Selected watches from Microbrands and established brands like Seiko with Prospex and Presage "🥰 😎
Have fun with your final pick or picks☀
"See you around, Dollface."
Always wanted to say that in my best "Bogie" impression!:LOL::cool:
Best to your young man!

·
Registered
416 Posts
I wouldn't buy a kid a watch unless he's explicitly expressed interest in watches. I've made this mistake in the past.

If he has expressed interest, your budget covers a lot of options, particularly if you're willing to look at used stock.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Maybe a nice Seiko Diver, such as:

The SBDC127
Or the SBDC125 (this one has a stainless steel bezel)

One thing you might want to think about--the size (circumference) of your son's wrist as well as the size of the watch you get for him.

There are no fast rules about this, but people with smaller wrists (say 6.5" and below) might want a smaller watch (say 38mm - 40mm watch case diameter).

Others here can chip in about this matter, too!

Good luck with your search: your son is very lucky to be getting a nice watch for his 18th!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I would strongly recommend that you involve your son in the decision. If he doesn't like the watch and therefore doesn't wear it or wears it only with reluctance, then the disappointment is great on both sides.

·
Registered
NY011 Asian Market Fugu
13 Posts
Lovely son will be 18 later this year and we are planning to buy him a watch. We’re not exactly experts but would rather it did not need a battery. His dad has a basic Longines, which has proven very robust, any other suggestions? Budget is £2000 ish, I’d happily buy preloved if needs be. Also, best place to buy? We’re in Scotland. Thank you everyone 🙂
Personally as I am OCD, Citizen offers the best quality. Bezel markings and pip line up perfectly throughout it's rotation along the rehaut.
Not to mention that I rarely take it off and it consistently runs well within Chronometer standards.
It's "only " a Miyota 8203, but the newer models are the 8204 that includes hacking...
ISO 6425 rated with a Sapphire crystal proves to be a very robust watch indeed.
Watch Analog watch Arm Plant Green

·
Registered
NY011 Asian Market Fugu
13 Posts
Maybe a nice Seiko Diver, such as:

The SBDC127
Or the SBDC125 (this one has a stainless steel bezel)

One thing you might want to think about--the size (circumference) of your son's wrist as well as the size of the watch you get for him.

There are no fast rules about this, but people with smaller wrists (say 6.5" and below) might want a smaller watch (say 38mm - 40mm watch case diameter).

Others here can chip in about this matter, too!

Good luck with your search: your son is very lucky to be getting a nice watch for his 18th!
Seiko has dropped the ball on their QC recently AND raised their prices...

·
Registered
NY011 Asian Market Fugu
13 Posts
View attachment 16716054
I'd be thrilled to receive a Longines of any kind!
The Heritage seems about within budget.
Good for almost any occasion with a backup for rough and tumble.
And Dad's Longines will have a great companion!
Personally I see that budget and I think, "a collection of three or four Selected watches from Microbrands and established brands like Seiko with Prospex and Presage "🥰 😎
Have fun with your final pick or picks☀
"See you around, Dollface."
Always wanted to say that in my best "Bogie" impression!:LOL::cool:
Best to your young man!
Especially a Seiko these days for a premium price and a crooked bezel pip that doesn't line up...

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
A little more info about interest and general lifestyle would help a lot. What activities, how he likes to dress, is he already interested in watches, etc.
Yah, this.

Personality and interests will play a large role in the type of watches that could be recommended. With a £2000 budget the options are in the hundreds and it needs to be narrowed down otherwise everyone is just going to swamp you with ideas and it won't help much

·
Registered
970 Posts
You could get him a Speedmaster from the 90s for that price.

·
Premium Member
Patek, Breguet, Rolex, Jaeger LeCoultre, Panerai
323 Posts
I think younger watch owners fall into 2 camps. First, if the owner/wearer is into watches then they are generally into specific watches/styles/etc, even if they don’t own anything fancy. The second camp could care less about a watch and would prefer an Apple wrist computer, so spending 2K pounds would be a waste. The first thing I’d do is make sure which camp your son is in.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts