WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first post after a LOT of reading!

I'm about to get my first mid range watch, and I feel like I've gone way down the rabbit hole. I've been doing a lot of reading on it (from ABLOGTOWATCH: Internet's Most Popular Watch Blog, with Watch Reviews, Watch Industry Information and Trusted Watch Media, to this forum and others) and I think I've narrowed what I'm looking for down.

At the moment, as you can see from my list of timepieces I'm interested in, I'm a bit all over the place. The only things I'm definite on is that I don't want a leather strap, so whatever watch I pick will have to at least look good with a metal strap, and I don't like seeing the watch workings from the front (clear back is fine, in fact good). I prefer automatic.

That said, here is what I'm thinking of at the moment with links to where I found them:

Maurice Lacroix Les Classiques Mens Chronograph: Maurice Lacroix Les Classiques Mens Chronograph LC6058-SS002-130

Rado Rado Hyperchrome XXL automatic chronograph (650.0275.3.015)

MeisterSinger No 3: MeisterSinger: Detail_en

Raymond Weil: Freelancer 7730-ST-20001 Mens Watch - Freelancer automatic chronograph Steel on steel black dial | RAYMOND WEIL Genève Luxury Watches

IWC: IWC Schaffhausen | Fine Timepieces From Switzerland | Collection | Portuguese Family | Portuguese Chronograph

Philip Watch: Orologio cronografo automatico, Collezione Wales - WALES - Heritage - Philip Watch

Sinn: https://www.sinnwatches.com.au/content/6036-model-vi

I know the IWC is probably out of my price range, but included it as a watch I really like.

Are there any suggestions for other watches that people think I might like? Don't worry too much about price. Sadly here in the Philippines its tough to find any of these to see/try on so I'm waiting on a trip to the States to check them out in person. I'm really intrigued by one hand watches in particular (the meistersinger).

Thanks for your help and I hope I didn't break any rules with this forum post and I can continue to learn about timepieces with help from people here.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi!

Thanks for the feedback. Good point, I really should have given a price range. Up to $5k USD.

Reactions: ancreanchor

·
Registered
798 Posts
If it your first pretty decent watch, I would guess you would want something that is versatile. Something that you can wear casually or with a suit. From your list the IWC looks like your 'grail' watch - and very nice too :). If it is out of your range at the moment, the Sinn could be a good choice. They are good VFM and well respected on the forum, although I havent seen many posts on the Frankfurt range. IMO it looks a handsome timepiece.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you need some efficient assistance from forum members you will need to narrow down your 'short list". Otherwise you will get quite dispersed responses as we are quite comprehensive and opinionated 'cult'.
If you follow your budget first, take the IWC out (although it would be my personal choice to purchase). Follow the simple rule of 'form, function, beauty' and arrive with two shortlisted options. And then send us your question again. Basically, help us to help you. Good luck.

Reactions: jt67

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Not sure I'd want to drop 5G's without positively, absolutely knowing what I wanted. If you learn anything from visiting this forum, you'll learn that individuals' tastes are very fickle, thus the huge number of nearly-new watches listed in the sales forum.

I'd suggest that you start cheap, build your way up, learn more about watches, movements, what you like and what you don't. You can "prototype" watch types like chronographs, etc. by buying cheap before you spend big.

I have also noticed that most new collectors or people that get interested in watches seem to first gravitate towards chronographs. But chronos have some disadvantages also (e.g. generally thicker, more expensive to maintain, sweep seconds hand that only rotates when the timer function is working, etc.) and I'd be afraid to spend a lot on one without really knowing what I was getting into and whether I was going to like it.

Anyway, I may be way out of line here, but from reading your post, that would be my advice -- start small; start cheap; learn what works and what doesn't for you before you drop big money on a watch.

P.S. Maybe $5k isn't "big money" for you. For me, it's about 10 times more than I'd spend on a watch anyway, so what do I know?

Reactions: jt67

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you need some efficient assistance from forum members you will need to narrow down your 'short list". Otherwise you will get quite dispersed responses as we are quite comprehensive and opinionated 'cult'.
If you follow your budget first, take the IWC out (although it would be my personal choice to purchase). Follow the simple rule of 'form, function, beauty' and arrive with two shortlisted options. And then send us your question again. Basically, help us to help you. Good luck.
Thats a great point. Worth noting that I do have a few watches already in the low range and am looking for something a bit different. I've spent a bit of time yesterday and today browsing and thinking about my likes and my biggest struggle is I'd like a lighter face (white, or cream) as my existing watches are all dark face, but with a metal strap that isn't as easy to find as I'd hoped, and you'll notice many I linked to are dark. Not essential but something I'm leaning toward.

Here is a pros and cons and also I've taken a few out:

Maurice Lacroix Les Classiques Mens Chronograph - Maurice Lacroix Les Classiques Mens Chronograph LC6058-SS002-130

Pros: Love the look, white face, metal strap, price is pretty good.
Cons: would prefer something that stands out a little more, but will definitely try this one on.

Raymond Weil: Freelancer 7730-ST-20001 Mens Watch - Freelancer automatic chronograph Steel on steel black dial | RAYMOND WEIL Genève Luxury Watches

Pros: Similar style to the above (but dark face). I like the look despite the dark face. Price is comfortably in my price range.
Cons: Well, its quite similar to a few I own already, if a much classier brand.

IWC: IWC Schaffhausen | Fine Timepieces From Switzerland | Collection | Portofino Family | Portofino Chronograph

As you can see I've changed the IWC I'm after but yeah... realistically, its out of my price range.

Pros: Simply gorgeous, white face, metal strap, ticks all the boxes
Cons: Price!

Philip Watch: Watch Wales collection - WALES - Heritage - Philip Watch

Pros: Attractive watch, similar to the Raymond Weil. Again comfortably in my price range. Slightly out of the ordinary brand (as far as I know anyway) which I like.
Cons: Similar to some I already own, just like the Raymond Weil

Sinn: https://www.sinnwatches.com.au/content/6036-model-vi

Pros: I like the slightly less cluttered look without the additional dials, looks simpler and cleaner. Price is good.
Cons: Couldn't find any Sinn watches with lighter face and metal strap.

And in my readings I've found some new ones:

Longines: Official Longines website - Longines Swiss Watchmakers since 1832

Pros: White face, metal strap, good price, ticks all the boxes right?
Cons: Well except for the circles overlapping the 3 and the 9 which I didn't notice at first but just jumped out at me, would need to try this on to check it wouldn't bug me.

Ball Chromometer Red Label 43mm: Welcome to BALL Watch
Another new one I found last night.

Pros: A different look. Grey face, comes with a metal band (though I had to google a lot to find pics of it), simpler dial and I like the look. Price is good.
Cons: I worry it would look a bit washed out in person.

I personally am not fussed on chronograph vs non chronograph, if there are non chronograph that look the same I'm happy to check them out. I understand the implications (except the extra depth, wasn't across that), I'm more into the fact that I can tell the time and the look. I do find watches with no extra dials a bit too bland but happy to be led down that path if there's some really classy looks out there.

I'm not sure if thats narrowed things down or just expanded things more!

If I had to shortlist two (taking out the IWC unless someone thinks I could pick up a second hand one for close to $5k):

Maurice Lacroix Les Classiques Mens Chronograph
The Longines

Any other suggestions pop up?

Thanks everyone for hte time and guidance which I sorely need.

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
I second the Aqua Terra 8500. Price is in your range. Dial is what you are looking for. It is good model to go with strap for a different look.
899244d1354990311-omega-aqua-terra-8500-23110422102001-20.png

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi, I forgot to mention this but there's a big Omega store here and I've tried quite a few on (including this one) and not liked them. You are 100% right it should tick all my boxes but I was left underwhelmed. The large markers next to each number on the dial really jumped out at me visually. Eek sorry now I feel like I'm being super picky.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts