WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I first discovered Steinhart early in my WIS-dom, I've bene lusting over a Racetimer Chrono :) I'm finally ready to replace my current weekender (Tissot PRS516 auto - blue dial, blue rally strap) with one. So the obvious questions are: what color, and do I choose the strap or the bracelet?

I'm leaning towards blue for that awesome vintage racing look, but they all look good.

I'm also leaning towards the leather strap, since this will be a weekender, but the Ti bracelet is very compelling.

I guess what I'm really asking for are wrist photos and impressions.

And one more thing - do WUS members get a discount? ;-) Since both Steinhart and Gnomon Watches are sponsors.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
My preferences would be the black dial on leather or the blue dial on bracelet.
Of those two I'd pick the black on leather, it has a classy look that you could dress up or down.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
My personal choice would be blue on bracelet. You can always buy an aftermarket strap for it, or you can order both bracelet and strap at the same time when you order the watch.
Just put a note in the comment box that you would like both strap/bracelet.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just put a note in the comment box that you would like both strap/bracelet.
OK folks, I just pulled the trigger. Blue with bracelet, plus request for leather strap in the order notes/comments.

My first Steinhart. My first chrono in a long while. And what I think will be the best weekender watch I've owned to date. I can't wait :-!

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Nice call - I'm very attracted to this piece. It's taking obvious design cues from the Tudor Heritage Chrono but changes it up enough to make it uniquely Steinhart. Larger/thicker (although I'd like it thinner), similar colors but different geometry, different movement, titanium, displayback... quarter of the price. Regardless of the color I agree with those above that the bracelet would be the way to go, as other aftermarket styles are a breeze to come by.

I applaud your choice in blue as that would likely be mine as well, with black a close second. The obvious benefit with the black style is you would arguable get a bit more mileage out of it with a more neutral color palette. But the blue/white/orange vibe is uncommonly cool. Very much hoping that you do an in-depth review once you receive it.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I owned the Blue with bracelet. I loved it but it was a little too "long" for my wrist. Just be advised that blue color is more restrained and lighter in person than in photographs...

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Just received the order acknowledgment. Can't wait!

I was torn between the blue and brown versions. Brown would be the best choice for "matching leathers" with my wardrobe. But I'm a car nut, and Le Mans is one race event I follow, so this being a race-inspired watch, I had to get that classic 1970s Gulf color scheme. Besides, this is a weekender, it has to have a little pizazz!

I owned the Blue with bracelet. I loved it but it was a little too "long" for my wrist. Just be advised that blue color is more restrained and lighter in person than in photographs...
I have 7.5" wrists and have found that 40-46mm dia. is my ideal range, with 42-44mm being the sweet spot. When you say "long" are you referring to the lug-to-lug length?

How "restrained" is the blue compared to this Google'd wrist shot? Because this looks great to me.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally got mine. It is everything I hoped. I'll post pics soon. But first, a dumb question:

How the @#$%&*! do you move the crown?

It's like it's glued to the watch case - I can't get it to budge to set the time, day, and date o| My fingernails are short, and they are bending trying to pry the crown loose.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Finally got mine. It is everything I hoped. I'll post pics soon. But first, a dumb question:

How the @#$%&*! do you move the crown?

It's like it's glued to the watch case - I can't get it to budge to set the time, day, and date o| My fingernails are short, and they are bending trying to pry the crown loose.
Unscrew it first!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Unscrew it first!
In my defense, the included instructions are all in German, and none of the illustrations show the need to unscrew the crown. Nonetheless, you're right, thanks! I didn't expect that since this isn't a diver watch. (Seriously, of all my past/present watches, only my divers have screw-down crowns!) Glad I asked first.

That's really good turnaround time. Where are you located? Looking forward to seeing wrist shots.
SE USA. Steinhart does state "8 working days" from order acknowledgement to delivery on their site. My only complaint is that they didn't send me the FedEx tracking info until overnight last night. I found their e-mail after the FedEx driver showed up at my door.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quick unboxing photos:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Just received the order acknowledgment. Can't wait!

I was torn between the blue and brown versions. Brown would be the best choice for "matching leathers" with my wardrobe. But I'm a car nut, and Le Mans is one race event I follow, so this being a race-inspired watch, I had to get that classic 1970s Gulf color scheme. Besides, this is a weekender, it has to have a little pizazz!

I have 7.5" wrists and have found that 40-46mm dia. is my ideal range, with 42-44mm being the sweet spot. When you say "long" are you referring to the lug-to-lug length?

How "restrained" is the blue compared to this Google'd wrist shot? Because this looks great to me.

Yes, lug-to lug length. I have a 7.75 inch wrist (but it is more thick than wide if that makes sense) and the Racetimer metal band actually had to come BACK to my wrist because the lugs were protruding a little.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Sized it (hurray for bracelet screws!) and cleaned it up.

This may be the first time I keep my weekender on a bracelet...

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Wow, that is an exceptionally long piece. And you perhaps saved me a sizeable chunk of change. My wrist is 7" and I can wear 44" Magrette's and a 45" Deep Blue without issue but their lugs are quite short and there's plenty of clearance to the edges of my wrist. Although my wrist is wider than thick (your point makes total sense) so perhaps balances out. Don't understand what you mean by band having to "come back" to your wrist.

Yes, lug-to lug length. I have a 7.75 inch wrist (but it is more thick than wide if that makes sense) and the Racetimer metal band actually had to come BACK to my wrist because the lugs were protruding a little.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Looks fabulous. What is your impression of the color - is it consistent with the reference photo you posted earlier? I'm looking forward to seeing that on a blue/white/orange NATO. I think it's unfair that this series is often dismissed as a ripoff of the Tudor Heritage Chrono. While the color palette is similar, and both have very angular geometry separating the dial, there are plenty of unique elements with this watch for it to stand on its own.

That aside, how wide is your wrist (as opposed to circumference)? It looks like you're right at the limit for lug length and I want to compare my own to see this is just going to be unrequited love for me.

Sized it (hurray for bracelet screws!) and cleaned it up.

This may be the first time I keep my weekender on a bracelet...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts