WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I think that most of you guys might have read about my work situation last year. Well, I'm rolling with the punches again and it's up in the air until next week, but I don't think that I'll be making any further "big ticket" purchases for a little while. If that "little while" would be a few weeks or six months is anyone's guess. Everything is sort of speculative until some office realignment is laid out on Monday. I'll be just fine- my biggest gripe at the moment is having this come up unexpectedly forced me to miss some great watch sales. :-d

At any rate, I decided that right now while I still have some holiday cash left, I should make two investments in my collection.

The first, of course, is finishing the restoration of my family's vintage pieces that were handed down to me as Christmas gifts. The second is purchasing a "daily driver" to wear the majority of the time that I'm not working. I never fear wearing anything to work and having it damaged. I wear everything snugly enough to prevent any chance of it sliding down my wrist and out from under my shirt cuff. However, the last thing I'd want right now is to have one of my high-end pieces devalued because of something I do to it shooting pool after work.

The problem is that I don't really have anything I feel is "all purpose", reasonably inexpensive and still durable. If I own it, I care about it enough to be extremely fussy about condition. Every watch I own would rate at 90%+, and it comes from handling everything with kids gloves... which isn't always fun. I basically want something I can leave out, apart from my actual collection, and just toss it on after work or on the weekend.

Here is the basic criteria:
1. Hard cap of $200 on the available online price.
2. Rugged. No worries of whacking it against piece of furniture and noticeably damaging it.
3. Well-known quartz movement. Battery changes are fine, solar isn't a big concern.
4. Some sort of finish that doesn't "scuff" easily. No PVD coating or high polished metal.
5. White and black (or white and brown) in some combo. No thinking about color matching.
6. Good lume is a big plus, but not required.
7. Neutral between mineral crystal and sapphire. Potentially cracking a $100 sapphire almost sounds worse than likely having a few nicks on a $20 mineral.
8. Either a very comfortable rubber or a canvas military style strap.

Any input? I appreciate anything you might have to suggest!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse, but ..... G-shock.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Looking at your large collection, it appears that you have a number that already fit the bill. Otherwise, good excuse to add an Eco Drive to your collection. Might even be able to afford an Eco Zilla.

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
Got to be the CWC G10. ETA quartz, battery match to make changes extra easy plus it's British military issue so has a bit of a story to it too. Well under budget at £90 or £100 with date.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
I would suggest the BM6400. I have itmon a 5 ring Zulu currently and this thing is awesome.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I know I already chimed in with my vote for the G, but I hadn't drank my coffee yet

Have you looked at Tawatec? The E.O. Diver is a little over your "hard cap" of 200 clams, but they look like a very substantial timepiece, and seems to have a low profile for what it is.
-Black carbon-fiber case with white lettering on the bezel and the dial.
-Ronda movement
-Lume is tritium, so no worries there
-Thick mineral crystal
-Offset crown at the 4 o'clock position
-Available with a NATO, rubber, or leather strap
-2 year warranty on the movement, 10 year on the lume

I am very fond of it, it will be the next piece in my collection :)

·
Affordables Moderator
17,574 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that Jon, I hope things work out for the best for you.

You know I am a fan of Citizen, and the BM6400 has been on my list for awhile, hopefully I'll pick one up this year. Also, look at the basic Victorinox models like the original and pieces in their "Active" collection (Victorinox Swiss Army), I just got the Renegade and it is a wear it and forget it kinda watch IMO.

·
Banned
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys, he's already got about 6 Gs.....
....oh hang on, it's ocmj, 6 wouldn't be nearly enough for him.
:-d
Hey, cut me some slack- in the event that I'm ever 200m deep in mud and not water, I'll still have a handful of different watch choices. b-)

I really appreciate all of the feedback. The one thing I should have thrown in there would have been a big one- which is that I'd prefer an analog watch and not a digital (such as the G's). I would have thrown that in there, but the fiance got home just as I was typing. I wanted to hurry and finish the post prior to the "you've got to be kidding" look that comes with me asking for watch purchase ideas. :-d

Right now, I have to say that I'm really, really impressed with both the CWC G10 and the Victorinox Renegade. Both of them look exactly like the style I'd pictured in my head. I know there are several watches in my collection I could pull out and use for this purpose- even my Casio Super Illuminator on it's NATO would work well, as would all of the nice Seiko pieces that have been suggested so far.

I think the attraction to the CWC and Victorinox is the "tactical" styling. That look makes me feel even less concerned about the watch accumulating a few signs of wear. Along the same lines, the EO Diver looks like a very nice watch to consider. The tritium gave me the idea to look at Luminox- I like the black face / white marker Navy SEAL watches, but there are about a half-dozen design variations and I'd want input from an actual owner.

At any rate, thanks for the well wishes Griff. I'm sure everything will turn out just fine. That's one nice part about being 25, not owning a house or having kids- you can squeak by with only rent, ramen noodles, and even just one watch per month if things get really bumpy for a while. ;-)

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
A couple of my favorites - Android Octopus (now available in qtz), and any of the plethora of Seiko SNN-series 2-eye chronographs. The Android is my go-to for days on the beach, yard work, or as today - tearing down the pergola over the patio in the back yard. Miyota-tough, day and date, 200m WR, and a black dial is an option.

My SNN came on a bracelet, but it's on a black strap now. Was classy on croc-print, but is sporty on a flieger strap. Very versatile, and thin enough to fit under most cuffs, even at 42mm+. The movement is available in cases down to the 36mm range, so there are LOTS of case styles out there. Got mine on the bay for <$100.

Clair

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you can come up with an extra $15-35 bucks there's the Torgoen T10 that might fit your bill. Seems like good value for the money to me and it sure looks cool.

9484.jpg

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
I'm considering getting a Citizen BM6400 as well. However, one WUS member mentioned that after nearly 3 years of wearing his, his young son picked up the watch and flung it onto the ground. The hands fell off. I'm hoping it was just an issue with his particular BM6400.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I'm considering getting a Citizen BM6400 as well. However, one WUS member mentioned that after nearly 3 years of wearing his, his young son picked up the watch and flung it onto the ground. The hands fell off. I'm hoping it was just an issue with his particular BM6400.

That could easily happen with alot of watches... depends on the force of throw, how it lands, what it lands on, etc..

I've recently bought a BM6400, and worn it virtually everyday, it seems pretty robust.
OK, so it's not in the realm of G-shocks for toughness, but then not much is really is it.

I don't throw my watches around, but equally I don't exactly "think" about them when I'm wearing them... if they get knocked or scratched then so be it.
In fact I usually choose a watch knowing it will get knocked about a bit at some point.

The Citizen seems fine.

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
That could easily happen with alot of watches... depends on the force of throw, how it lands, what it lands on, etc..

I've recently bought a BM6400, and worn it virtually everyday, it seems pretty robust.
OK, so it's not in the realm of G-shocks for toughness, but then not much is really is it.

I don't throw my watches around, but equally I don't exactly "think" about them when I'm wearing them... if they get knocked or scratched then so be it.
In fact I usually choose a watch knowing it will get knocked about a bit at some point.

The Citizen seems fine.
Thanks for that.

To be honest, I'm seriously liking the look of the BM6400.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts