WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I posted this in another forum (high-end watches) but wanted to get everyone's opinion. I have decided to make my first high-end watch (Pre-owned). After months of research, I narrowed it down to two watches. To my surprise, both of these watches are available and at the same price. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

2009 AP RO 15202
1994 PP Nautilus 3800

i really like the style of both watches. I am biased toward PP brand but am concern about the size of the 3800. I have seen a lot of debates on the 5711 vs the 15202 but didn't see anything on the 3800.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
congrats on your decision and excellent choice on both,

I usually tend not to try and sway people regarding their choice between watches, and I wont start :)
and I'll go with the generic reply of get the one that you like best regardless public's opinion

but for me, personally, I like the Nautilus as well; (1) looks better (subjective) and, (2) should hold better value

cant really go wrong with either choices

·
Premium Member
71,391 Posts
If you're leaning towards the PP then that's the obvious way to go unless, of course, you are concerned that it will be more than just a little bit big on you in which case you must try one on. (not exactly easy I know)

·
Banned
159 Posts
Just like ari.seoul said the Nautilus 3800 has much more value and looks way better, although they are both great choices

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The Nautilus 3800 has caliber 330 SC which is a Patek in-house movement. The AP you stated has caliber 2121 which is based on the JLC caliber 920. Nothing wrong with the 2121 and it's a historically important movement but the 330 SC is a more robust movement. I'd say if it's a wash on the asthetics, the Nautilus is better as a daily wearer and the AP is better as a collector's watch.

I would also keep in mind condition and the fact that either piece would likely need an overhaul upon acquisition to the tune of ~1100 USD

·
Registered
112 Posts
Both watches are excellent and it really comes down to personal tastes. Out of the two I prefer the look of the Nautilus but I would definitely understand if you went for the Royal Oak as both are absolutely stunning sports watches.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Both great watches, the Patek will be more recognizable to the untrained eye and likely hold value better. All things equal i personally like the AP more.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Both are great watches. You cannot go wrong. While all things being equal the Patek might be the way to go, if the watch doesn't fit, it would be far better to go with the AP then try to make a watch fit.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone. I just wanted to provide an update. I decided on the PP 3800. The size isn't really an issue. It is small when I look at it side by side with the RO jumbo but it's fine on my wrist. The deciding factor was how comfortable it was on and it's not very flashy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts