WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to switch things up a bit and have been rethinking & consolidating my collection.
Here's what I have so far:
  • VC Overseas Gen 2 47040 "Deepstream" on Rubber / Leather / Bracelet - my versatile "all-rounder" and daily. Will work in a pinch from super casual to anything but super tie formal. 150M water resistance which is all I would ever need. (Pic: )
  • Grand Seiko SBGN003 Quartz GMT - This will replace the Rolex 16570 Polar Explorer which I'm planning to offload. It's a lot cheaper but even more meticulously finished, and the quartz movement is helpful as this will be a grab & go travel / "beater" watch for when I don't want to draw any undue attention.
Originally I thought about getting a BLNR on Jubilee for that versatile, dressy-ish sports watch, but the idea of paying 60%+ over premium doesn't sit well with me and I've branched out to looking at other brands, JLC and Lange in particular.

Assuming a budget of ~$20K, what is a Lange that would best finish off this collection? I was thinking a Lange 1815 Up/Down in White Gold as a dress watch albeit slightly toned down in formality due to the two subdials that are chronograph-like. I reckon having the flexibility of switching between a brown strap with contrast sticking & OEM black crocodile would look great from when I'm wearing a shirt at the office to when I'm suited up.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I find it hard to give the OP different model suggestions when that was not listed as a preference. The Lange 1 and the 1815 are two totally different breeds. Both premier watches but stylistically different. Suggesting a Lange 1 to someone who likes an 1815 is like telling someone to get a McLaren when they really want a Ferrari. Two totally different options yet similarly in the same general vicinity though. To the OP do you want a McLaren or a Ferrari or could you do with either? Or do you just want any supercar regardless of brand?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I find it hard to give the OP different model suggestions when that was not listed as a preference. The Lange 1 and the 1815 are two totally different breeds. Both premier watches but stylistically different. Suggesting a Lange 1 to someone who likes an 1815 is like telling someone to get a McLaren when they really want a Ferrari. Two totally different options yet similarly in the same general vicinity though. To the OP do you want a McLaren or a Ferrari or could you do with either? Or do you just want any supercar regardless of brand?
So I was definitely looking at the 1815 U/D primarily over the last few days, but I'm also now intrigued by the Lange 1 Luminous 101.029. The calf strap with contrasting stitching combo + lumed dial also helps tone down the German stoicism on some of the more serious looking Lange 1 models.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So I was definitely looking at the 1815 U/D primarily over the last few days, but I'm also now intrigued by the Lange 1 Luminous 101.029. The calf strap with contrasting stitching combo + lumed dial also helps tone down the German stoicism on some of the more serious looking Lange 1 models.
Awesome. So you’re good with a variety of choices! That’s great. You can be happy with others. I shared a similar but slightly different story about a close replica of the Lange 1 (panomaticlunar) which I bought but then sold quickly and purchase the 1815 Auf/Ab. Various reasons but to be honest I still wouldn’t myself at least have been happy if I bought the Lange 1, at least mostly as it was my only watch to wear and now I’m dailying the up down with everything but total absolute casual wear. Never looked back and I love it. I know the Lange 1 is iconic but it could not be my daily watch and I only was seeking one for all uses.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I am biased towards the 1815 up/down since I eventually plan to switch out most of my watches for the 1815 chrono later down the line. But the 1815 in my opinion is more versatile because of its simplicity (over the lange 1), with the arabic numerals, this little white gold and blue handed watch can easily dress up/down

·
Registered
93 Posts
Since your VC and GS can handle situations besides maybe formal occasions, either the 1815 or the Lange 1 could work. You sound like you want some versatility out of your third watch though in terms of dress code, and I think the 1815 would be better suited for that role over the Lange 1.

I personally really like the Lange 1 and would be willing to wear it in less formal situations, but excluding my bias towards it, I would go with the 1815.

I know this is the Lange sub-forum, but you mentioned JLC as well. Definitely take a look at some of their stuff like the Reverso and Master lines.

·
Premium Member
Lange, Rolex, Jaeger LeCoultre, Blancpain, Breguet
220 Posts
I have a black dial Grand Lange 1 and find it can be dressed up or down, depending on the strap. I agree that it is “less” dressy than the white dial versions. It does not wear large, the lugs are short, and with a manual movement, leather strap with buckle, and moderate thickness it is not heavy.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a black dial Grand Lange 1 and find it can be dressed up or down, depending on the strap. I agree that it is “less” dressy than the white dial versions. It does not wear large, the lugs are short, and with a manual movement, leather strap with buckle, and moderate thickness it is not heavy.
I would love to see some pictures if you have any!

·
Premium Member
Lange, Rolex, Jaeger LeCoultre, Blancpain, Breguet
220 Posts
Here are photos of the original strap and an Aaron Bespoke charcoal ostrich leg strap:
88CC44B5-E692-4F10-A9DE-988EE5A6C4F4.jpeg
79726CA1-AFF2-4E8B-B542-D170BBDDF19B.jpeg

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am in the same boat, contemplating on buying a Lange but not sure which own, currently own PAM 233k , Bell and Ross SKeleton blue dial, VC, Tudor Black Bay, Tag connect
AD from newyork sent me mail if i buy blue dial lange 1, they will throw the buckle for free which she said is worth 3k not sure
i like 1815 and lange 1, also do AD offer any discounts on new lange ?
Tks

·
Registered
95 Posts
The 1815 U/D is awesome, never a wrong choice. In that price range, you can start looking into some used Patek watches, too – maybe a 5196?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts