WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my dilemma. Me and my wife went to Omega AD here in HK and asked for the price of PO XL (my dream watch) and they gave us a reasonable price with a 5% discount.Then we went to Panerai AD in Causeway and asked for the price of 005 but unfortunately they don't have the stock instead they offered the 111 (last piece). Upon trying the 111 that is where my confusion began. But sad to say we left the store without buying anything, because I cannot decide which one to buy. Then my wife told me to make up my mind first. On our way to the train station, we saw a Rolex boutique then I told my wife, why don't we try to ask for the price of the Submariner. Upon learning the price of the Rolex 14060M, which is much cheaper than the 111 it added more to me confusion. Until now, I'm still undecided.

* Can anybody tell me which watch has the cheaper maintenance cost

Things I'm considering...

- Rolex Submariner 14060M (Classic design, higher resale value)
- Panerai 005 (big dial, can use different strap to suit my needs, resale value???-no idea)
- Panerai 111 (big dial, can use different strap to suit my needs, resale value???-no idea)
- Omega PO XL (8500 movement) (my first choice, dream watch, just became confused upon knowing price of the Panerai and Rolex)

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Well, Panerai is a kind of a Fashion Brand.
Rolex arevnice, Omega too. Not an easy choice!

Of my modern watches, I would say the Panerai gets most wrist ime since I bought it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had nearly the same list of watches to choose from when I was shopping for a graduation present. I went with the Panerai 112, I really don’t like the Panerai logo on the dial which is why I stayed away from the PAM000. I think the Panerai logo looks too modern to be on such a simple and I believe very classic looking watch dial.

I am not disappointed in my purchase what so ever, but I am now shopping for a smaller dress diver, a watch I probably wouldn’t be looking for if I chose the Omega or Rolex. While my Panerai looks pretty nice with a suit it fits a little too tight under certain dress shirts, especially my French cuff shirts.

The choice is yours but I would have to go with the PAM111 or the Rolex.

Don’t forget, a Rolex looks pretty good with different straps and has a few options too, not as many as you will find with the PAM, but just sayin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here is my dilemma. Me and my wife went to Omega AD here in HK and asked for the price of PO XL (my dream watch) and they gave us a reasonable price with a 5% discount.Then we went to Panerai AD in Causeway and asked for the price of 005 but unfortunately they don't have the stock instead they offered the 111 (last piece). Upon trying the 111 that is where my confusion began. But sad to say we left the store without buying anything, because I cannot decide which one to buy. Then my wife told me to make up my mind first. On our way to the train station, we saw a Rolex boutique then I told my wife, why don't we try to ask for the price of the Submariner. Upon learning the price of the Rolex 14060M, which is much cheaper than the 111 it added more to me confusion. Until now, I'm still undecided.

* Can anybody tell me which watch has the cheaper maintenance cost

Things I'm considering...

- Rolex Submariner 14060M (Classic design, higher resale value)
- Panerai 005 (big dial, can use different strap to suit my needs, resale value???-no idea)
- Panerai 111 (big dial, can use different strap to suit my needs, resale value???-no idea)
- Omega PO XL (8500 movement) (my first choice, dream watch, just became confused upon knowing price of the Panerai and Rolex)
Yes, Bought one you loved... This is important!

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I have a panerai and a submariner, and found the Omega (after handling it from a friend) to be the best finished of the three. However, the panerai is the only watch that makes me feel bold and sexy. A submariner feels like staple in every collection, as it is such an archetypal watch.

Reactions: s.kasper90

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Price is one of my factor, since those watches are not cheap but its not the "deciding" factor. I just want to maximize the money that I spent.
The watches are close enough in price that if you forgo the one you really want because the other one is a little cheaper, you will live to regret your deciscion. You will maximize your money by picking the one you love. They are all well made watches so you really can't make a bad decision.

Upon trying the 111 that is where my confusion began.
I had little interest in Panerai until I put one on my wrist. Panerais look their best at arms length away, your arm.

Be careful, you never know where you might end up....

Cheers,
Rob

·
Registered
676 Posts
I'd suggest going with the Omega PO. It's your dream watch, it looks the best out of the three (in my opinion, of course), and you can still use many different strap choices for it. Go with your dream!

·
Registered
539 Posts
how about the maintenance cost of those watches? I mean how long it needs to be serviced after normal use
Omega's co-axial supposedly has a longer service interval, but it hasn't really been out long enough for real world confirmation. Is this going to be your "one watch"? If so, it's hard not to get the 14060, isn't it? Then again, if your heart's set on the PO XL, that's probably the one you should get. Sounds like a nice dilemma any way you slice it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
If you love the PO go with the PO.

I personally dislike Panerai's designs so you'll never see me recommend them.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'd go Panerai if I were you! I think they hold their value pretty well. I talked to a guy that bought his 111 in 2003 for $2700 and recently sold it for well over $4000. Plus they're very easy and cheap to maintain and the straps are great! A couple months after buying his 232, my dad has accumulated a total of 7 straps and the collection just keeps on growing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank You for all the replies.
@donut: you're making me envy with your post. hahahahaha.

If I have a free time this weekend then I'll try all those watches and see who will catches my heart!

·
Registered
6,914 Posts
I'd go for the PO on personal preference, as I love the look and Omega quality. Buy your dream.

·
Registered
14,790 Posts
Go with the PO. Why? Because it's your dream watch.
My thought is that as soon as you spend more than a few hundred dollars we're really buying luxury items and most but not all rationale goes out the window.

Here are my thoughts on the watches in question...
Rolex - A true classic and will always be in style in and hold it's value well. The public's perception of Rolex is a massive turn off for me.

Panerai - A very cool watch, especially when it's not one of the big over sized models. They seem a bit pricey for what they are but I can't seem to find unhappy Panerai owners. They do not seem to hold their value as well as the Rolex and Omega.

Omega - The 8500 PO is legit! The fit and finish are top notch. The co-axial escapement is one of the biggest advancements in watch making in a long time and now they've paired it with their in-house movement. The watch takes a lot of styling cues from the SM300 so it's also timeless classic and not something that going to look dated.

At the end of the day they are all solid choices but I don't see myself paying Omega and Rolex dollars for the Panerai and the public's perception of Rolex leaves the Omega as the last man standing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts