WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

The three watches I have from Ball are shown below. Given my apparent taste, are there other Ball watches that you think would be interesting to me? I tend to stay with a brand for a while until there is no other model that appeals to me, and then I move on.

Sorry for the large image sizes.... :)

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Thanks,
R

·
Registered
20,970 Posts
Reactions: Rhyalus

·
Registered
20,970 Posts
Both watches have sunray dial, the main differences are :

- Trainmaster CE : applied arabic numerals, day-date movement (2836), transparent caseback, available exclusively in Chronometer grade, 5ATM.

- Fireman Victory : applied markers, date-only movement (2824), solid caseback, Elaboré/Top grade movement, 10ATM.

You can't go wrong with either of them.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I would second LVT on the Victory and CE as dressier pieces. Both among the dressier and more aeshetically pleasing designs. Personally i am zeroed in on the Deepquest .. just because! and the ceramic diver. The victory is more likely to meet budgetary approval right now though :(

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I would go for the Trainmaster Cannonball. Same size as our moonlight specials. I have the cannonball in white. The dial has sort of a baby blue color due to the blue hands. Very nice classic and antique look to it. The acuracy one the watch is great.

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,594 Posts
I've always admired your diver TMT. Some day I will add one to my collection. So here are my suggestions:

My surprise (to me) favorite Ball watch is my Aviator Dual Time. Best everything watch I've ever had combining big date, second time zone that you can actually tell the time on and lume up the kazoo. I have both the strap and bracelet for this. With that combo it goes with anything I wear.

For dressy watches I did like the new Red Label but it is not enough yet to unseat my Train Master Power reserve on the black crocodile strap with deployant. The Blue spade hands, enamel dial with classic numbering is about as close to perfect as they come. The power reserve adds with out overly complicating things. There is no doubt on the heritage of this one.

Last every Ball collection needs a Fireman. I personally recommend either The First Mile or the Night Train. The Night Train is the watch that first peeked my interest in Ball watches and the first Ball watch I bought. Since it comes on a strap it generally is stored in a case and not my winders. So I find the date warning indicator and the 24 hour display great for knowing when it is safe to set the date out of the box. This is not needed as much if you do not rotate watches. I prefer the B&O "the First Mile" model Firemen to the base since it has a tube on the second hand and the white or blue dial options are outstanding. It is a pure and simple watch that is super easy to read and a great looker. Both of these are extremely balanced on a strap and seem to be weightless after a little time on the wrist.

Reactions: Rhyalus

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone for their input.

I think you guys may have hit it on the head - go for one of the dressier Ball's.

My collecting has a method (though it is still madness). I like watches that do something "different"... the Moonlight LE was my first moonphase watch, the TMT was the thermometer, and the Diver worldtime has that awesome city disk. I just scratched an itch for a 24 hour watch, and I have other goals as well.

Right now my Maurice Lacroix is my dress watch, but perhaps I need another.

If there are any other unique features on Ball watches, please don't hesitate to point them out to me.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond!

R

·
Registered
884 Posts
Gotta pulse meter dial? I find that a bit more useful than the tele/tachy-meter watches....

Ball used to make a Roman numeral watch...I'm sure there's one out there to be had if your patient....

The space master orbital has a switch thingy that effectively locks the rotor...kinda like an optional manual wind...and I think it has a gmt hand.

There is also a watch (the Moonglow?) that has the tubes behind the dial...really clever illumination tricks on that gem....wasn't there also a Ball with an illuminated moon? I could be wrong, but a cool idea...who needs to know the moo phase when it's bright out?

An applied marker watch would complement your collection...so many choices here...my favorite is the mad cow (which IMHO is an almost perfect sporty watch).

A guilloche dial would be a nice addition too (again, choices...I like the regular spacemaster...or the ridges of the Arabic ii chronometer ii and that new watch {red label?}).

A double sub dial chrono would be cool too...like the magnate chronograph...doesn't that have a gmt hand?

The über deep diver (the new one...whose name slips my mind...someone help me...the deep quest?) would be unique in anyone's collection...

As samanator pointed out, a dual time is a neat feature...I love his aviator...reminds me of a cockpit.

There are soooo many great options in the Ball lineup...but I'm out of ideas. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts