WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so I like my collection now, but I don't love it. I've got a few watches on my mind that are driving me nuts. Any help or input would be appreciated. So of these two options, which collection would you want most and why:

Currently:

Sell both Seamasters and possibly VSA:

(IWC picture was borrowed from the internet)

Sell Aqua Terra and SMP quartz 2451.80:

(Panerai picture was borrowed from the internet)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm a newb but I like the bottom collection. It appears well rounded and more thought out.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I would personally go with the Aqua Terra and IWC. Both are great watches and cover more bases than the second option. You are also getting better quality IMO.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
You've done what many of us did at the beginning. And that's buying much the same thing/style over and over. I think your current, while nice, is very monochromatic. I've been going through the same transformation and have sold a couple things to add diversity. If you like the watches in the 3rd selection, you'd definitely have a more diverse selection of watches, which would cover more situations than your current collection.

Reactions: Surfrider

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
None...Why? I don't care for them.
Sorry

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Sell the Seamasters. Buy the IWC. Look for something a bit further from the rest.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The two divers are redundant, so one of them can surely go. But to figure out the rest, I'd ask myself what I want my collection to look like in the end, and use that to shape my decisions. Are you mostly interested in sport watches, or would you want some that are more dressy? Do you ever wear suits or sport coats? Do you want to have a beater you can wear in any situation without worry?

This is debatable, but I'd say the IWC, Victorinox and Aqua Terra probably work best in more dressy situations (although none are very formal), while the Panerai and the Seamasters are more casual/sporty.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really truly appreciate all the input. It definitely helps.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would personally go with the Aqua Terra and IWC. Both are great watches and cover more bases than the second option. You are also getting better quality IMO.
This is the option I'm leaning toward. Thanks.

...I think your current, while nice, is very monochromatic. I've been going through the same transformation and have sold a couple things to add diversity....
That's one of the big reasons I've been reflecting on my current collection and where to make changes.

Sell the Seamasters. Buy the IWC. Look for something a bit further from the rest.
Thanks, that's sort of my leaning. The IWC has gotten stuck in my mind and I don't think I'll be able to shake it until it's mine.

That is a very nice IWC, maybe get it in black though? you would have 2 blue dials.
Thanks, man. Actually, the IWC is a black-dialer. It just looks bluish in that picture because the angle of the photo highlights the bluish lume.

So now, anyone know where I can pick up an IWC Mark XVI? I've been searching for a long time, mostly on WatchRecon and Ebay. There's one on there now, but the seller has a pretty low post count. Argh! :)

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...Are you mostly interested in sport watches, or would you want some that are more dressy? Do you ever wear suits or sport coats?...
I've been trying to figure all this out. I wear slacks and a dress shirt to work, so I can get away with a dress watch at the dressier end, or a somewhat sporty watch, like the SMP 2254 or the Victorinox on most straps other than the super casual ones.

The Aqua Terra was selected since it's super versatile. I mean, I wear it in dressy scenarios and it works, and I wear it with shorts and sneakers; works for that too. I like to wear them a lot, so that's one of the nice things about it. As for the IWC, I like that is super versatile as well. I think it could work well in many scenarios based on the strap I used. Anyway, thanks!

·
Registered
399 Posts
You've done what many of us did at the beginning. And that's buying much the same thing/style over and over.
To me, this feels kind of natural actually, so it's not at all mandatory that one does macro-diversify. I've been slowly increasing my collection of clothes, footwear, and watches for about twenty years now (I'm one of those lucky people whose clothes seem to last forever), and if you took a look at my closet, you'd be hit by a wall of black, grey, navy, and some brown and dark green. I've never felt that I needed to add some yellow or purple to spice up things, and it's the same with my watches, so to me, there's absolutely nothing wrong with OP's current collection.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
BumpUpdate, bumpdate:

So after many mind-melting somewhat distressing, but also pretty fun marathon searches and biding my time, she's finally mine. I have a brown leather strap and RHD deployant on the way, also.

photo 5.JPG

Thanks for the input, everyone. Much appreciated.

Reactions: RBrylawski and A4VC
1 - 16 of 16 Posts