WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, so I’m looking to expand my collection and get my first G Shock. I had a square Casio as my first watch as a kid and it’s about time I revisited the digital space…. I also want something that is tough as nails so I can wear it while doing activities that I wouldn’t want to damage one of my nicer watches.

I have done a ton of research and decided on one hard requirement: tough solar. I would really like atomic timekeeping but that’s not a deal breaker. I would also REALLY like a compass but don’t care at all about altimeter or barometer.

I’d also like to keep size to a minimum as I have small 6.75” wrists, and I prefer a circular dial.

Ana-digi preferred but size is more of a priority.

My research has revealed that this is a game of give and take - it doesn’t seem possible to get EXACTLY what I want despite there seemingly being thousands of models available. While I can see this devolving into a horrific tale of me buying 10 different G Shocks, for now I’d like to get some community support/advice on selecting #1.

I have the following in my sights:

G9300-1: this seems to be the front runner. Has the solar and compass, but no atomic timekeeping unless I can figure out how to get the Japanese version, and that’s like $100 more so not sure it is worth it.

GW6900-1: is smaller, has solar and atomic timekeeping, but no compass which I’d really like to have.

GG-1000-1A: VERY cool, love the Ana-digi, has all the features I want but it’s just big… I’m worried I’ll regret it and won’t want to wear it if it looks silly on my wrist.

GWG1000-1A1: pretty much same issue as above.

GWG-1000-1AJF Also under consideration but at this point I’m frankly overwhelmed at the sheer number of models and differences…I think this is the same as above but is the Japanese market version with sapphire crystal?

If anyone has any advice or suggestions for selecting amongst these, or other suggestions that are on the smaller side that have solar, atomic, and compass along with Ana-digi, i would be eternally grateful.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
I definitely recommend the GW-9300. Yes, you have to pay extra for the Multiband 6 version, but it's going to be the most affordable and wearable G-Shock with all the features you listed.

Your other option is a Pro-Trek. The PRW-30 has all those features (plus altimeter/barometer) for a similar price, and wears smaller than any of them.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
G9300-1: this seems to be the front runner. Has the solar and compass, but no atomic timekeeping unless I can figure out how to get the Japanese version, and that’s like $100 more so not sure it is worth it.
<--- Link to the watch you want!

I've bought several watches from this Japanese dealer and had very good experiences.

Just ante up the bucks and get the one you REALLY want. 😎

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

I've bought several watches from this Japanese dealer and had very good experiences.

I am close to just pulling the trigger on this, but I really would like to find something similar with all the features that I want that is Ana-digi - the Ana compass is so much cooler!!! I also just like the look of the Ana-digi g shocks more. They appear to be significantly larger, though.

·
Registered
152 Posts

For around $60 less than that Mudman he could get a Rangeman, which is a much better watch, imo.

I recently got a GG-1000-1a3 Mudmaster. Except for solar, it’s got everything you want. For me, solar is a newer thing, so I’m used to changing a battery every 5 years or so. Not a big deal.

·
Registered
509 Posts
All Ana-Digis are large watches: (three Mudmasters shown)
Font Parallel Rectangle Slope Pattern

* I like the GG-1000.It has compass and is cheaper than the GWG's but is not solar/atomic and it has mineral glass instead of Sapphire.

* The GWG-2000 is lighter, thinner and more modern than the GWG-1000 but also more expensive. Is narrower than the other two as well

On the digital side:

Watch Clock Font Analog watch Video camera light

* The GW-9300 is smaller than the GW-9400 but the Rangeman is normally considered the G-Shock that gives you the most bang for your buck

* The GW-9400 is smaller (except in thickness) and lighter than any of the Mudmasters and is a little bit more modern (by two years. Newer V3 triple sensor) than the GW-9300

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Material property

6.5" wrist

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All Ana-Digis are large watches: (three Mudmasters shown)
View attachment 16256961

* I like the GG-1000.It has compass and is cheaper than the GWG's but is not solar/atomic and it has mineral glass instead of Sapphire.

* The GWG-2000 is lighter, thinner and more modern than the GWG-1000 but also more expensive. Is narrower than the other two as well

On the digital side:

View attachment 16256977

* The GW-9300 is smaller than the GW-9400 but the Rangeman is normally considered the G-Shock that gives you the most bang for your buck

* The GW-9400 is smaller (except in thickness) and lighter than any of the Mudmasters and is a little bit more modern (by two years. Newer V3 triple sensor) than the GW-9300

View attachment 16256993

6.5" wrist

Yeah I reeeeally want an Ana-digi but at this point it looks like they’re all too big…

Is the GW9400 both solar and atomic time? Trying to decide if the extra size is worth it. I may spring for the smaller and lower-spec’d GW9300

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Yes, the GW9400 has all the features of the 9300 plus altimeter and barometer. And a white LED backlight and a one-touch stopwatch, if you're interested. At one time I had 7 Rangeman variants, so I guess I was a fan. I only had the one 9300, but if I had to pick one, it would be the atomic Mudman. It sits much flatter on my roundish 7" wrist than the Rangeman. To be honest, even the monstrous GWG-1000 sat better on my wrist thanks to the "wings" on the underside of the case.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
sounds like you need to look into protreks as well, start with the prw50/60 or prg600/650. full featured, easy to read display, direct access to sensor functions and smaller, lower profiles. can also take just as much a beating as a G, tho replacement bezels arent always as cheap or as easy to find.

out of the ones youve listed for price and wearability, you cant go past the 9300 muddies. a tiny bit tall on a smaller wrist but light and comfy.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
I am close to just pulling the trigger on this, but I really would like to find something similar with all the features that I want that is Ana-digi - the Ana compass is so much cooler!!! I also just like the look of the Ana-digi g shocks more. They appear to be significantly larger, though.
Then you might look at the Pro Treks. For your preferences, I can HIGHLY recommend what is really my all-around favorite watch - The PRW-50Y. I wrote a review here:

Watch Hand Water Analog watch Clock

For reference, my wrist is 7 inches. The PRW-50Y is going to be smaller than the big G-Shocks. It's thinner, too. It's really quite a beautiful and superbly functional watch.

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

Watch Arm Analog watch Gesture Clock

·
Registered
9,492 Posts
Yeah based on a couple things you've said OP, I think you should definitely look at Protreks. They make MANY ana-digi models in smaller sizes than Gs, and pretty much all of them have a triple sensor including compass. Many also have radio-controlled timekeeping.

As just one example out of dozens of options available, here is my PRW-50YAE-2JR.

Watch Analog watch Clock Tree Font

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Then you might look at the Pro Treks. For your preferences, I can HIGHLY recommend what is really my all-around favorite watch - The PRW-50Y. I wrote a review here:

View attachment 16257519

For reference, my wrist is 7 inches. The PRW-50Y is going to be smaller than the big G-Shocks. It's thinner, too. It's really quite a beautiful and superbly functional watch.

View attachment 16257520

View attachment 16257524
You may have sold me…

I can only find the PRW-50Y-1AJF which is on Amazon for $402, not the PRW-50Y-1ACR. Do you know the difference between these despite the former being the Japanese market version? Any substantial difference? I really like this color theme as it’s much more muted that the others.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
You may have sold me…

I can only find the PRW-50Y-1AJF which is on Amazon for $402, not the PRW-50Y-1ACR. Do you know the difference between these despite the former being the Japanese market version? Any substantial difference? I really like this color theme as it’s much more muted that the others.
I don't think there's any difference between the two. You'll hate me for this... I paid $303 for mine on Amazon in July 2020.

That said... would I pay $400 for it? Yes. I would. It's that good, IMO.

·
Registered
290 Posts
You may have sold me…

check seiya japan, have a sale going…

·
Registered
363 Posts
Not all ana-digis are huge... just a lot of them are. I've got an MSG-W100G-1AJF, which is 41 mm and wears like 36 mm. Also a little Suunto watch band compass.

Maybe see if you like an AWM-500 (45 mm, G-Shock branding), or a Wave Ceptor (ex: any of the WVA-M630 models, 42 mm).

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
If you knew it's an Abyss already, maybe it's the best to walk away and avoid falling into this rabbit hole. :LOL:

Reactions: FROG

·
Registered
1 Posts
You may have sold me…

Greetings from Sydney everyone.

Just been on a similar 'journey' - Wow Mudmasters are great. Ah, a tad large as an all rounder. Ooh ProTrek(s) looks nice.

Comparison of entire ProTrek line-up. Ani/Digi- Tough Solar:

Hope that helps.

For the record, I went with two models.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts