WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to fit a NATO strap to a submariner The problem I am having is there doesn't seem to be enough distance between the spring bars and the watch case. The strap is 1.5mm thick. I can't seem to get the other end of the spring bar into the hole. If I fit the spring bars and try to thread the strap through, the strap will not go between the gap between the bars and the watch case.

This is the strap:

Nylon Watch Strap NATO G10 "Strong" Black 20mm | eBay

I am using the standard Rolex spring bars that came with the watch/bracelet.

Do I need to get "thinner" spring bars? Or do I have to accept that I need to fit a "thinner" NATO strap?

The thing is, the 2mm thick NATO one I have is really nice and feels much nicer quality than the other 1mm thick ones.

Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have a few NATOs, though they're all the thinner ones. (Just checked one and it's about 1.25mm) These fit my Explorer II, and I'm assuming a Sub would have the same case spacing.

If I were you I'd just get some standard 20mm spring bars and use them instead of the thicker ones designed for the bracelet, especially if you like your strap.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
That's a ZULU strap, not a NATO. The Maratac NATOs will fit but not the ZULUs.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
on some rolex forums there's a guy who sells thinner zulu's intended for wear on a sub:I bought a few last year and they work. Can't recall his name or what forum, but it's probably not hard to find.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
on some rolex forums there's a guy who sells thinner zulu's intended for wear on a sub:I bought a few last year and they work. Can't recall his name or what forum, but it's probably not hard to find.

After a couple of requests, I looked around and found Mark's ebay store:
moelarrycu | eBay
hope this is ok to post?
The nylon material is thinner so it fits a sub.

·
Registered
453 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hmmm... I've never used them, but wouldn't curved spring bars be just the right solution here?
High Grade, 100% Stainless Steel Curved Spring Bars 1.5 mm thick
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/curved-spring-bars-186918.html (see post #6)
The above thread seems to indicate that there are some concerns about the strength of curved bars, which would be a concern. Can someone with more experience on this topic chime in?

Perhaps this wouldn't be as big of a concern with most NATO-style straps as you'd have to lose both spring bars to lose your watch.

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
I have worn many many different NATOs (including Maratac and Phoenix/Corvus), and my favorite by far are those sold by Ken Danks of The Strap Shop at http://www.watchworx.co.uk/pages/lwb/NatoG10.htm.

Here is one on my old Sub (with thick spring bars).

These are also the straps used by Project X designs on their Limited Edition Rolex mods. (Borrowed pic)

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
I've never used them, but wouldn't curved spring bars be just the right solution here?

yes, they could work for straps, but then you would need two sets of bars, one for straps and one for the bracelet as the curved bar won't fit with the end links.

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
This is an amazing watch. I very much echo your taste. Now if I could just source a Non-COSC 14060 in that condition for a reasonable price...
Thanks, man. Mine was a D serial 14060M and I was very happy with it. Prices have climbed a bit this past year, though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts