WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this 1976 Accutron arrived in the mail today. I have a couple of questions. Should the small 3 pointed piece to the right of the watch be loose like that? From a google search it looks like this sits underneath the battery, is there a trick to how it should be placed? Also, the battery strap doesn't have a screw for the loose end. Does it just slide under the edge of the black cover? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The movement number is 2191.10 if that helps at all.

Thank you.

IMG_0511.JPG IMG_0513.JPG

·
Registered
737 Posts
These pictures might help. The + should show on top of the plate...the + (positive) portion of your battery should go into the battery well first. Note the way the battery strap is secured.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for posting those. I think this one may have other issues as it won't hum or run...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wouldn't recommend it on a customer's watch, but I've plucked the fork with my fingernail when the gentle bump didn't fire it up.
Hi, I've bumped and pinged the case more than I should admit to now... How do I pluck the fork?

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Hi, I've bumped and pinged the case more than I should admit to now... How do I pluck the fork?
Only done this on a 2-coil, 218 movement. There's the space between the coil cups at the very top of the fork. I put my fingernail on the side of the castellated timing clips and pushed about 1mm towards the outside of the movement and let it slip off my nail. Make sure not to hit the coils.

On the 219, you might be able to pluck the tine without a coil to start it. This would drop the chance of hitting the delicate coil.

At any rate, when you pluck it, you should see the index wheel move. If it doesn't, something's really messed up.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi, thanks but you kind of lost me. How do I get to where I can see the index wheel?

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
The four jewels in the center of the movement, the very bottom one is the center of the index wheel pivot. You should see movement easily visible to the naked eye for the index wheel and the first one after it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi, I can see the wheels moving but it still won't run. Think I need to put it away. It's driven me crazy enough for one weekend!

Thank you to everyone for their replies.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi,

Any thoughts on whether It's worth trying a 1.35V Accucell? I suspect the more likely culprits are the coil or circuit board and I found a tech bulletin online which shows how to remove these but doubt if I'll be able to tell whether anything's wrong visually?

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
My experience with the 218 movement is that it'll hum just fine with either battery and the voltage matters the most for how well the pawl finger grabs the right number of teeth on the index wheel.

Might be time to consult a professional on this one. :-(

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, I didn't really think another battery would be the solution and this is the only tuning fork I've encountered so far...

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
If you really want to jump down the Accutron rabbit hole, you could get the test set. For the 214 and 218 movements it's called the Accutron Model 600 Test Set. I don't know if it'll work with a 219 movement. This would let you determine if the coil is damaged and is an open circuit.

I suppose you could hack something together with a multimeter and a low-voltage power source to determine if the coil is conducting electricity, but I'd be very careful about putting too much current through it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thanks, that's useful to know. I think the rabbits are safe for now..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts