WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm buying a watch for a friend who is getting his doctors degree.
I'm looking for a classic design that can be worn daily. I would like to spend less than $1000.
A swiss brand would be nice, with a glass back (automatic).

These are the once that I found so far:

Frederique Constant Classics Automatic Silver Dial Men's Watch 303MC4P6 - Classics - Frederique Constant - Shop Watches by Brand - Jomashop
Longines Presence White Dial Black Leather Unisex Watch L48214152 - La Grande Classique de Longines - Longines - Shop Watches by Brand - Jomashop
Tissot Luxury Powermatic 80 Automatic Silver Dial Brown Leather Men's Watch T0864071603100 - Luxury Automatic - T-Classic - Tissot - Shop Watches by Brand - Jomashop

Other brands would be B&M, Oris (I don't like the back with the big text..) and Rado (a bit too expensive for the nice ones)

Any suggestions on brands / models that I should look at?

Other info:
My friend doesn't own a watch.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Personally, I like the Frederique Constant...very elegant and attractive.

One thing to consider is case size. The FC is 40mm, the Longines is 34.5mm and the Tissot is 41mm.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My guess is 34.5 is going to be a bit small for your average guy (some love it). I'd stick close to 40mm to be safe.

I was looking at some really similar watches:
Stowa has a few models and a nice looking movement.
Steinhart has a few chronographs I really like - they build them around a standard ETA movement
Tissot Le Locle Automatic has a beautiful back to it, but comes in well under 1k.
Tissot Visodate was suggested to me repeatedly. I personally didn't like the 70s vibe to the logo, but otherwise solid watch that would easily go from jeans to suit.
If he has a 7.5 inch wrist, Alpina has some great watches that can be found grey market for well under the budget - check out the Startimer series. They are 44mm. At 40mm, it'll either push you budget ($1400 for the Alpiner Manufacture on Jomashop) or else you'll be getting one without a display back. I opted to spend ore and go with the Alpiner Manufacture.

You covered Hamilton and FC - two great brands.

To get some interested suggestions - what is his degree in? Where did he go to school, or where is he from? Anything unique about your friendship?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Great recommendations so far but I would be wary regarding Frederique Constant's. I've heard that—being a young company—their finishing is hit or miss. Also, and this might not be relevant for your friend, but resale value is quite terrible for FC's. Their recent slew of Amazon deals means that their pricing is pretty volatile, casting a shadow of doubt on future value.

Hamilton's are great all-in-one watches and they really please a vast audience given how classic they are. Steinhart's are also pretty solid, and being built around ETA movements for 330-700 euro, a good pound for pound watch. Look however is hit or miss.

Personally, I think Time Exposure's recommendation is best. Has everything you need and will save you a couple hundred bucks for a nice celebratory dinner.

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
FC looks to be the best of the bunch to me, don't care at all for the others . . .

Reactions: Salva Mehtash

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mido have some nice pieces in that cost-bracket. Depending on whether your friend knows watches or not, choices would also include a Hamilton Jazzmaster and something more conservative from Oris's ARTIX range.

Of the ones you posted, the FC is the only one that really appeals. The longines is a bit smallish.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
'Doctor's degree' means a doctorate like in Ph.D? Or a medical degree?

I'll comment on the style/design rather than the brands. The FC looks very dressy, which is good for formal occasions or for a more mature man but not so stylish as everyday wear for a sporty young intern. The Hamilton or Oris Artix already mentioned would both be more versatile. I'm speaking generally, you need to look closely at your friend's style and try make your own judgement. The Swiss watch industry is extremely competitive at this price point and IMO most of the established Swiss brands have roughly equivalent quality at a given price. They will almost certainly have the same basic internals with either the Eta2824 or SW200 movements. Its then a matter of which style or design or brand image you feel best suits him.

Asides from those brands already mentioned, Certina and Epos are also worth looking at.

·
Banned
5,307 Posts
Great recommendations so far but I would be wary regarding Frederique Constant's. I've heard that—being a young company—their finishing is hit or miss. Also, and this might not be relevant for your friend, but resale value is quite terrible for FC's. Their recent slew of Amazon deals means that their pricing is pretty volatile, casting a shadow of doubt on future value.
I think the Hamilton also looks the best but similar models can be had for much cheaper from Orient Bambino III series with more color choices. As for resale value, the rule of thumb for quick sale is 50-60% the price of internet gray market price. That's true for all watches. So a $2100 watch bought at $950 will be sold at $550 as proven by last week's Ebay auctions.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Have a look at Stowa. Classic styles and arguably as good of value as can be found at your price point.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I'm really liking the detailing on the tissot, however that style will look massive at 41mm. next up will be the FC- really gorgeous, but quite dressy... it's probably the least versatile but most striking

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I would highly recommend going to see that FC in person before buying. I was quite impressed by FC after seeing and reading about them on the internet. But I am one of those who was quite disappointed by the finish on their watches when I saw and held them in person (and not their low end, their worldtimer that retails for around $4k). If you are looking for an impressive Swiss brand, at that price I think it would have to be Longines. I think the B&M at that price tend to be quartz. Tissot or Hamilton would be good alternatives.

That said, if they are planning on using it during work, I would consider what their job is. If it is a physician (I don't know if doctors degree means PhD or MD), it's usually better to wear a cheap SS bracelet that can be wash many times during the day and can take many random hits and scratches and you wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts