WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings-

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but I figured I would take a chance. My mum inherited a vintage ladies Omega and she has no interest in wearing it, so she asked me if I could put a value on it.

Apparently it's all solid gold, and the stamped numbers on the back read 711.83.52A so it must be a 711 calibre? It dates back from the 60's or 70's and it is still running.

She has been offered cash by local jewellers just for its weight in gold, but I am wandering if I should attempt selling it as is, as a watch, and for about how much?

The dial, case and bracelet appear in excellent condition for its age but further inspection is required.

Pictures below... Thoughts? Thanks very much for your help!

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
Well, given the font used, it dates to the 1970s or the 1980s.

Definitely not powered by the cal. 711. The cal. 711 is a gent's watch movement, 25mm in diameter.

The numbers on the back (on the inner side of it, I suppose, as they should be?) are a reference number, 711.8352. "711" in that reference has nothing to do with the calibre number. In 6 and 7-digit references, the first three numbers indicate certain features of the watch. 711 means "ladies' bracelet watch, manual wind (no second), non-water-resistant."
An Overview of Omega Reference Codes for Wristwatches

The movement inside is most likely a cal. 625 (although with no pictures of what's it got under the bonnet, there's no telling anything for sure, really).

·
Premium Member
7,589 Posts
In general, valuations are not provided on this forum (see sticky threads at the top for the reasons), but even if someone wanted to give you an estimate, the information you provided is not nearly enough for even a rough guess. So I suggest you check sold eBay listings for similar watches in similar condition.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much mkws. I know a little more now (I know nothing about vintage watches obviously).

Dan I'm sorry if I asked something that's against the rules. I must confess I did not read the stickies. So mods feel free to delete if inappropriate.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Ladies watches dont sell as well as mens watches so yes its worth its weight in gold, she might as well wear it.

·
Premium Member
7,589 Posts
Thanks very much mkws. I know a little more now (I know nothing about vintage watches obviously).

Dan I'm sorry if I asked something that's against the rules. I must confess I did not read the stickies. So mods feel free to delete if inappropriate.
It's not a hard and fast rule, but the sticky thread explains the reasons why any such valuation would have to be taken with a grain of salt. Frankly, I think it's even harder for ladies watches, since they are not as desirable to collectors and it is harder to find comps. If the gold content is high, and the band is also solid gold ... sadly, the scrap value may be hard to beat.

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
IMO, since it's a heirloom piece, she should keep it.

Reactions: phcollard and Dan S

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
That's a pretty nice piece. From what I've seen I would also think you would get more than scrap value especially being an Omega. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts