WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a watch on fleabay. The seller was claiming that the watch (Sydus Brand) has a 7750 ETA movement with date and moon phase. When I checked the movement, the ball bearings did not seem right to me. Also, I don't see anywhere on the movement a "Swiss" or "7750" stamp. Further, I thought moon phase movements were 7751 (I thought the seller made a mistake with the movement number in his listing). But 7751 movements have 25 jewels. This movement has 17 jewels.

Do you think this is a Chinese knock-off? I would love to hear if you have any opinions/comments on the movement.

Many thanks in advance!!

Here are the pictures:

Attachments

Reactions: CitizenM

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
It's not a 7750, it's 7751, but it looks like what it's supposed to be at first glance. Here's a 7750. The weird regulator index, blue circle, is a dead giveaway that it's a Valjoux movement design (although it doesn't necessitate authenticity, the 7750 has clones). Look for the ETA logo in the red circle.

Cartoon Data storage device Technology Font Illustration

Here's a legit undecorated 7751:

Where do you see the jewel count? That could be informative. I believe Poljot has a clone of the 7751, and while I don't know Chinese movements off the top of my head, I'd imagine they had plenty of clones of it too. If it does indeed have 17 jewels, that would be quite vexing, since I believe the only Valjoux with 17 jewels is the 7765, but that's not helpful since that's a handwound, hence the lower number of jewels.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for your post, CitizenM!

I now see the ETA stamp on the movement. Maybe this movement is the real deal? It really doesn't make sense to put a counterfeit 7751 (which is still quite complicated movement) in a Sydus. I would think fraudsters would put it in a better brand, such as Breitling or Omega.

The writing about the 17 jewels can be seen in the first picture and the last picture. In the first picture, the jewel count is near the top of the picture. In the last picture (which has a better focus) the jewel count is on the right.

I've just read in other watch forums that ETA made the early 7751s with 17 jewels, but I can't really confirm it.

Does anyone have seen a similar movement before? Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
Moved to public.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ETA signature is underneath the balance wheel, where it should be. I also saw that to the left of the ETA signature, 7751 is written. I took a picture of the movement when the watch wasn't running. Then, I circled the ETA signature with red and 7751 with blue in the picture:
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much for your reply, Mike!

This is great news! I really scored by finding such a rare movement (an early 7551 with 17 jewels that is in perfect working condition) for a very reasonable price.

I also feel bad now. I was giving hard time to the seller, since I thought he sold me an Asian knock-off movement. It's time to apologize.

Thanks everyone for your help! I love WUS!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts