WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the last one of my oldest verge watches in the collection which I am looking at in view of dating and functioning. Dating is no problem here, approx. 1780.

The watch is in absolute perfect condition throughout, with a diamond as cap jewel. However, it is outside the limits I want to have for keeping time (on something of that age, I do not mind 30 minutes (not seconds!) plus or minus a day), but this one gains a lot more.

Before I also send it to the watchmaker, I want to try to regulate it. I understand, that this type of regulation is not shortening or lengthening the hairspring, like on later watches, but does something else. I have three questions in this respect:

1. What is happening (or what is effected) when I turn the square bolt in the middle of the disk?

2. In which direction do I make the watch running faster or slower, clockwise or counter-clockwise

3. Difficult to say, but what is the effect here? Is that within minutes/day or much coarser? Of course I can try this out, but with that watch I want to be a bit more careful.

Before I start to fiddle around, I think to remember from another watch of that type, that there is no end-stop to the left- or right turns and you can turn it through continuously. Perhaps this particular watch had a defect or is that correctly working this way.

Thanks for answers!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, from time to time you have to stop being afraid of things and loose excessive respect, even if the watch was already running when Mozart was alive. I can now answer my own question.

It's just one screw and you take off the verge bridge so see underneath. This regulator type also makes the hairspring shorter or longer (that means the swinging part) over an indirect mechanism.

I made my first attempt with a movement I have (without housing) and also discovered, that the spring was outside the curb pins. I put the spring back in and could also see what happens when I turn on the indictor square. The total distance the curb pins can move is a lot longer than on the later types of regulators.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Very cool and interesting
Thanks for sharing
Adam

1 - 6 of 6 Posts