WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ,
I have to say I really like this watch, it is scratched and battered but the face to me has always been quite inviting - I think it is the font of the numbers. Here's my question to you all. I need a little help deciphering what Seiko this is? I bought it about 10 years ago from a Jewellers going out of business. I have discovered that I can replace the old kinetic capacitor ( I have ordered it online - $20) , but the black "o-ring" on the screw down case back seems to be worn. Is it possible to get one?

I am being cheap on this, I was quoted $150 to get it fixed but I'd rather try to do it myself. Not worried about getting it back to 50m water resistance or improved accuracy (I know people here will exclaim!)just back to working ! Here's a pic of my watch. Thanks in advance.:thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Re: Help needed to decipher this kinetic Seiko?

If this is your first time into a watch, I would be very hesitant if I were you. Replacing the capacitor is not a difficult job (just finished doing one in my Seiko 5M23 10 minutes ago), but you need to have the right tools - good watch maker screw driver set, at least a 3X loupe, plastic tweezers, a case back opener, rubber gloves help to keep body oil off the new capacitor & a really good set of replacement instructions with pictures. The caseback O-ring is easy to find & relatively cheap; don't forget you will need a little silicone grease on the o-ring for reassembly. The price you were quoted is high & it is a fairly easy job, but just remember that one slip & you could ruin the watch. Here's a link with pictures & a reasonable writeup on how to change the capacitor:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/7844...o+Kinetic+Capacitor+Replacement..........long
Those tiny screws look big when a macro is used on the camera; in real life, they are VERY tiny. Good luck!

·
11,552 Posts

I have a couple Kinetics that need the cap replaced and I was going to send them to this guy. I do not have experience with him, but he has a regular shop and seems to know what he is doing from all the info on his website. There is a section here where people can recommend services they have had done or ask about dealers, ask if anyone has used this guy.
Good luck, post a follow up so we know how you made out.

http://www.yellowstonewatch.com/kinetic_short.htm

Seiko/Pulsar Kinetic Capacitor Tuneup $70 (a $145 value)
(incl. return priority mail shipping).

Kinetic Capacitor Replacement,Clean Case ,New Caseback Gasket
Seal Stem and Crown, Seal Pusher, Pressure Test, Clean Band,New Stainless Steel Spring Bars, Fully Charge and Test,1 Year Warranty

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for the reply - I do a bit of model railroadinng so am accustomed to small! But I am very weary. I can't seem to find anywhere to get the O-ring from though. I will post my (hopefully) success here. I do like this watch very much but have not worn it since it wont keep time (5 mins at best!)
As ever this place rocks!

·
11,552 Posts
diva,

This post made me send out my Kinetic for repair, got it back from Yellowstone in less than two weeks. Wearing it now, seems to work great!

Just thought I would let you know, in case you had not found a place yet.

Gary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts