WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am reading the forum for some time now but this is my first post.
I have a few watches but nothing more expensive than 200 euros. I am trying to buy my first "expensive" watch so I went to a dealer a few days ago trying out the Omega speedmaster professional with the 1863 movement and sapphire crystal the IWC pilot chronograph and the Tag Heuer carrera caliber 16 auto cv2014.
All watches look nice, feel solid and well build. The dealer when he realized I am looking for a chronograph he gave me a Zenith captain chronograph el primero on leather strap to try. I was really amazed by the black sunray dial of the watch. The watch is unbelievably bright and clean.
I like all the watches and I understand that every single one of them is special for one reason or another (omega history and first watch on the moon, IWC name and legacy, Heuer race history with the carrera and Zenith with the famous el primemo movement etc.
If you had to choose one, which one would you choose and why
Thanks

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Sounds like 3 excellent choices to me and I don't own any of them, but my preference would be for the Zenith. It's the perfect size for me at 42 mm by 12 mm thick, very wearable. Plus, I do not like "tachymetre" functions at all, I think they add much confusion to the looks of a watch and are pretty much useless in daily life and the Captain is tacymetre-free, so my definite choice, although a bit more expensive and it doesn't have the bracelet.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
First of congratulations- You have excellent taste and welcome!

Firstly, I would eliminate the TAG- it does not measure up to the other 3 in my opinion- I like the IWC and Speedmaster better.

I'd probably take the Speedy over the IWC but I really like them both.

Soooooooooooooo I think it come down to this. I really love that Zenith and it probably is more dressy than the Speedy so if you suit up every day then I would go for the Zenith. If you want something a bit more versatile with casual and occasional formal dress, id take the Speedmaster. I guess if I had a choice though, i would go Zenith.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm not sure you should go from spending EUR200 on a watch to spending several thousands. Do you know enough about these watches?

Everyone is different, but I'd personally go for cheaper alternatives that would also have excellent finishes, until my tastes were a little more refined i.e you see so many watches and you don't really know what does it for you or what you like, and it's a massive investment. After you see lots of watches, something eventually talks to you. I would rather buy several watches than one big watch at this time.

Everyone is different just consider what you do carefully. There are many, many quality watches sub-EUR1000. What I mean is, don't think you need to spend big to get a quality piece.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've tried on all those except the Tag at various local AD's and I vote for the Zenith followed by the Speedy.

·
Registered
585 Posts
You have 4 good choice. It is easy to narrow down to 3 (eliminate Tag) but then it becomes (very very) difficult.

I have also lusted for theses 3 one time or another but have not bought any yet. Here is my take on each of these.

IWC: It is the only of these 3 which I was VERY serious about buying but when I put it on my wrist I just could not find a reason to spend so much money on a watch which, in the end, had a very generic movement and very common design.

Zenith: I respect EP a lot but I don't think Zenith has a design in the current range which speaks to me. Captains are a bit bland and 36000 range has those infamous overlapping dials.

Omega: Sitting right now, if you ask me which of these will I buy, I would say Speedy. It has just so much history and it wears so well that it is hard to argue against not having this one. Also, in terms price, it gives the best value, esp if bought pre owned.

PS: If you like IWC look, check Zenith Pilot. I think it is a good choice in terms of pilot design with classic movement.

Some beautiful images are in the thread but here is a preview.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

https://www.watchuseek.com/f27/latest-acquisition-zenith-el-primero-pilot-chronograph-587097.html

Ali

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Toss up between the Zenith and Speedy (this coming from a dedicated Omega guy-the Zenith is spectacular!). If you have a preference for the type of movement, auto v. manual, let that be your guide.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I know I'm swimming against the current on this forum in liking Tags. Most people here seem to think they are overpriced and do not match the heritage of manufacturers like Zenith, Omega, and IWC. However, once you get beyond a certain level of quality and reliability, everything becomes very subjective. For me, the appearance then becomes the most important factor and I think the Tag Carreras and Tag Links are among the most attractive watches out there. Certainly you can't go wrong with your other alternatives, but if you prefer the Tag, don't let folk talk you out of it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts