WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New poster here. I am planning to purchase my first iwc 3714(white dial with gold hands) from a local AD some time next month(also my first luxury watch), and am not sure how much should I ask for when I first start negotiation. In general what's a good starting point for this watch and what end result should I expect? I have two dealers available in my city, does that make a difference or not?

Thanks and any input would be appreciated!:)

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
Look at the grey market prices and try to get it down to as close as possible as those. Thats what someone told me. Pity ACE cant sell outside the EU anymore because they had super deals that didnt even require negotiating.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
New poster here. I am planning to purchase my first iwc 3714(white dial with gold hands) from a local AD some time next month(also my first luxury watch), and am not sure how much should I ask for when I first start negotiation. In general what's a good starting point for this watch and what end result should I expect? I have two dealers available in my city, does that make a difference or not?

Thanks and any input would be appreciated!:)
A good price for it is retail and whatever discount you can get.

Just because X poster got X amount doesnt mean every one who buys will get that amount.

There are a number of factors such as

Maybe the model wasnt desired at the time the buyer bought so a better discount could be had than is available now.
Perhaps the buyer had spent a serious amount with the AD previously so they gave a discount as a gesture of retaining goodwill
ETC, ETC.

People should treat a discount as a nice optional bonus but instead seem to expect it as an automatic right which it isnt.

Buy the watch because you want it and want to own it and not because you are getting a good deal as if you dont like it then it doesnt matter how cheap it is.

You may be doing the above but too many people post "I can get ............ at ........ price should I buy it"

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just ask if there are any discounts available on the watch. Most of the time I've been able to get some wiggle room. If the price they quote you doesn't seem like a good value, shop around some. I was at a Tourneau and the salesman told me that for certain brands they can't sell them for any discount because the mfg tells them not to. IWC was not one of those brands.

·
Registered
231 Posts
There is going to be a new Portuguese(in-house movement) coming soon, so maybe the price will drop or go up because when IWC stop making that model it will only be available on the used market. And I think the new model will cost a lot more like 12K+ USD.
But you should only buy it because you want it and not because the new one will cost more.

·
Registered
80 Posts
like the common consensus says, try to get as close to the grey market price as possible, but then don't forget to account for tax.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts