WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
24,488 Posts
Metallic blue? Look for one of these. Probably a hundred bucks. I don't know the exact model number, though, because I'm not in the market and I didn't ask.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I thought a good start for me would be to look at the movements of watches since that's the heart of the watch but there is really so much to know about!
Forget about the movement. Seriously, in your price range the movement isn't even worth thinking about -- if you buy from a good brand, you'll be getting a perfectly good movement and that's all you really need to know.

Before you spend too much money, you might consider an entry-level Orient or Seiko 5 watch. There are some really nice automatic watches out there for under $200 (some for under $60). For example, this guy cost me a whopping $48 (SNK793):
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Product
Or this guy can be had for $150 (SNZH57, also available in blue. I've always thought it would look amazing on a distressed brown leather strap):
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
In fact, just Googling "Seiko 5" will show you an absurd number of attractive, reliable, and inexpensive watches.

It's really common for a person's tastes to change and evolve pretty quickly after they get into watches. You could always buy something less expensive now and then get something nicer later when you've got more of a handle on what you like.

·
Banned
759 Posts
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and the world of watches. I've been looking around and trying to do research on the various automatic movements (I want to buy one for myself), but I'm not sure what to go with as an entry level. I don't have a thousands of dollars to throw down on my first automatic, but I'm willing to go up to about $500-$600.

Price aside, I'm also wondering if anybody could help me with the types of movements out there and the prices I should expect, like a Miyota 82S series or a 9015? There's just so many, and I don't really understand them all even after combing through articles on these movements :-s

So far I've been using solar watches (family loves solar energy)..

Thanks in advance for the help!

Zach
Get mine.

But I think you should give us an example of what your looking for in terms of looks.

These are my watches. Both automatic. I can't imagine any expert here to say anything bad about either of these 2 movements. The Tissot is a 2824-2 (probably one of the most used swiss movements there are), and the Seiko has a 4R36, which is a very reliable Japanese movement. Sort of the Japanese equivalent to the 2824-2, although it hasn't been around that long. It is a relatively new movement.

Seiko Stargate- $300
Tissot LeLocle- $490

I'm sure you can find them cheaper online.

In my opinion, if you want a first automatic watch that is reliable, you can beat up and wear every day and will cost <$300, you can't go wrong with a Seiko diver. Anyone of these guys on this forum (which are experts, I'm not), will never argue with anyone getting a Seiko Diver.

If you want a 100% no risk every day beater automatic, get the SKX007 Seiko Diver. The pictures don't do it justice. It is a very nice looking watch, and you can change the straps to whatever you like. Nato, Rubber or bracelet. My reason for choosing this one is because you can dress it up or dress it down. You can pretty much take it out of the box, put it on and never take it off. Shower, play sports, wear a suit, do whatever with it.

Whatever rocks your boat. A true classic no BS watch. You'll own it forever.

You can check the specs on the different movements, but why bother. For guys like us who aren't real experts, what I do is I look at the brand. Tissot uses ETA movements. ETA are in 80% of swiss watches sold. So, I bought it. Later on I found out what a 2824-2 is and it turns out it is a real work horse. I think since the 80's.

Seiko is possibly the most respected Japanese brand name in watches.

Tell these guys to show you a picture of their personal collections. Between their Rolex and their Omegas and Patek you will almost always find a Seiko Diver.

Seiko won't build you a watch with a crap movement. No way. So whatever it is that it has in there I'm sure will be a good movement.

I found out what a 4R36 was after I got home and had bought the watch. All I knew was, I was buying a Seiko and whatever was in there I'm sure is good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Wow, thanks guys! Perhaps I would still look around and maybe consider a cheaper watch that looks good.

Thanks for all your input!

Zach

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
With the eur fx right now I would take advantage of that. Maybe Steinhart, sapphire and eta movements on the cheap

This is 320 eur

This is 463 eur

Assuming you live outside the eu

All fit well within your budget, good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 25 of 25 Posts