WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which one of these 3 to get. Superocean, Superocean Chrono or Chrono Avenger?

Hello

I am new here. My mate had a Breitling passed down to him when his father died and it is a gorgeous watch. I love the looks of Breitling and I have only ever heard good things regarding the company. Anyway I am looking to treat myself to one and it will be something that I will not buy again, so this will be my watch for life. I just have a couple of questions.

1. Why do Breitling watches cost so much more than for example a £100 watch. What do I get for my money?
2. Overall roughly how often will the watch need to be serviced and what does it cost?
3. If I dont buy a Breitling from a authorised dealer. What does this mean? It does say on the Breitling site that you should not buy their watches online, so does this mean I will lose out in the long run?
4. Also there are quite alot of sites that sell second hand watches, how can I tell I am not buying a fake?
5. Finally - The 3 watches I currently love the look of are: Superocean, Superocean Chrono and the Chrono Avenger.

I am having trouble choosing which one as they all look beautiful.

Help on this would be very grateful and sorry if some of the questions seem stupid, I am new to this.
Thanks
Colin

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Colin,

First things first: Welcome. Second things second: There's no such thing as a stupid question when it comes to investing the sort of money it takes to purchase a Breitling. Ask away.

One of the forum experts will be along soon I'll wager, but I chuck in my twopenneth worth for a start:

For the extra money you get a lovingly (at least partly) hand crafted timepiece that is then sent to the Swiss testing institute and tested rigorously over a number of weeks to make sure that it is superbly accurate. It can then be called a 'Chronometre'. Don't mistake 'Chronograph' and 'Chronometre'. A chronograph is merely a watch with multiple dials, a Chronometre has passed the tests and is certified to prove it. Breitling's proud boast is that all their watches (for the last several years at least) are certified 'chronometres'. Off the top of my head I can't remember the exact tolerances (they are different for mechanical and quartz watches) sorry.

As to ADs, it seems there are two schools of thought. Some people will only buy from ADs, others seem happy to purchase second hand from the bay, but as far as I understand it Breitling won't allow ADs to sell their watches over the net because they feel it cheapens the experience of purchasing the watch so beware any site selling 'new' Breitlings. There is a grey market but I don't really understand that, but it will have a bearing on your warranty. I'm sure someone will chime in on this subject with more knowledge.

My watch (a B-1) is only just over a year old so I can't comment on servicing I'm afraid, once again, someone will no doubt pick this up.

As for 'secondhand' fakes, you will find several threads from members asking opinions on prospective purchases. The big thing is: get a picture, or better, multiple pictures, including the back and any paperwork, if possible.

Anyway, that's just about exhausted my scant knowledge, over to the experts!

Welcome again, and congratulations on the excellent taste in watches!

Rik:-!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for your help. I am also finding it hard to decide which one of the Breitling watches I would like, the 3 I have chosen all look amazing.

Would be good if a Breitlinger could help me out with the questions too. Please see 1st Thread ;O)

I am hopefully going to get the watch maybe this week, so quick replies will be good. It may help if I could have the overall opinions on the 3 watches and Pro's and Con's.

Thanks Again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts