WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the bug! As a newbie I really want to get my collection going. I'm struggling between a Seiko Orange Monster and a Tag Heuer Formula 1. I know it' comparing apples to oranges (literally :). Here is what I am debating:

1. The OM is a great value watch. It would be my first automatic and diver. It's also known to be a great collector watch.
2. The Tag is more a luxury watch. Deep down I may like the idea of having a "Tag" on my wrist. The problem is do I want to spend 2-3x more for that on my wrist? Oh yeah and of course it is a quartz (which can looking at previous threads could open up a whole can of worms).

I've been debating about this for a while. Any help and opinions would be appreciated!!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
owning a TAG is overrated....and a quartz one even more so. I own one. Don't get me wrong its a nice watch but if i had my time over again i'd buy an automatic.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for your input. Mat, just wondering what you mean by the Tag being overrated. Are you referring that the price tag does not meet the value/quality you get for the watch? Quality control issues? Sorry, I'm not well versed with Tags except for friends that have the non-authentic kind :-d.

·
Registered
514 Posts
hey mate, I just mean that as naive young watch fans, TAGs seem awesome..the brand of watch we aspire to own...when really..in the grand scheme of things they really don't hold a candle to many many other watch manufacturers (in my opinion!) My quartz aquaracer for the most part has been a very tough and reliable watch, although it has had to be returned to the dealer post change of battery because it stopped working....it had to be serviced..which was done free of charge because they were the ones who replaced the battery only a few months earlier. Quartz "beaters" are great, but if you're going to buy a quartz i wouldnt buy a TAG..Omega or any other similar "high end" brand. It is a lot of money to pay for a quartz watch. In my opinion if you're wanting a TAG, keep saving and buy an auto. Just my 2c mate. I know nothing about orange monsters, but given its an automatic, as mentioned above, it'd be a great watch to get you into appreciating watchmaking

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well, coming from someone that started off with an OM, I would recommend you doing the same.

Tag is a respectable brand, but kinda bland and a brand without much character vis-a-vis the plethora of brands out there. The only Tag i'd consider getting is the Monaco, given its history. The OM on the other hand, is a fantastic watch that gives you tremendous value for money. It is also a cult classic and a must-have for many collectors.

Furthermore with the money saved up, you can start planning for your next watch.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
OM is a great start to a collection.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My 2 cents, i have a Tag indi 500, and its a really comfortable watch, and it does look the part, i also have a Bench £25 digital, also very comfortably, they both get wrist time, what im trying to say is, dont think about value, like the watch first, then look at the price, if you can afford it get it if not save up for it, its all about the watch, not the money,

my wife was got me a watch for my burthday last week, said i could have ond at £300, but i chose one at £100 as its what i really wanted,

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I've owned both. Tag seems to take a beating on this forum, for some reason. I liked the F1 I owned. I think, though, that you'll get more "bang for your buck" from a Seiko Monster, particularly if you get it for less than $200. I love Seiko divers, in general, though. The only thing I don't really like about the monster is the hardlex/mineral crystal.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your opinions and input! I think I'm going with the OM. Maybe I'll pick up a Tag used a get a good price:).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts