WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been looking to get my first watch yet i have a budget around $150. I know Seiko, Citizen, and Orient all make good watches and I have a few that I like. I would like solar powered but would be happy with an accurate automatic. I hear everyone talk about sapphire being sought after but is it necessary?:think: Most of the watches I am looking at are not sapphire. Well anyways, here are the watches I have been looking at, which would you get and why, and if none of them I would love recommendations. :-d

Thanks!

These are in no specific order.

Orient Men's CEM65001B "Black Mako" Automatic Dive Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

Seiko Men's SSC001 Alarm Chronograph Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

Seiko Men's SNE215 Sporty Dress-Solar Classic Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

Seiko Men's SNQ123 Classic Perpetual Calendar Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

Seiko Men's SNE039 Solar Black Dial Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
With a budget like that.. Im sure eventually someone will say it. So ill cut to the chase. Seiko Skx007. Its one of the best affordable watches and right up your price range. Its automatic. Its tough. It will work for everyday since its your only watch.

·
Registered
7,200 Posts
SKX007 or 009 or a Black Mako. Both are very nice. You can find black makos as low as $60 used and in pretty good shape. SKX's are going to be quite a bit more. Rakuten.com seems to have the lowest prices on the SKX's ($118-134 I think). I believe several people have bought from the site without issues.

·
Registered
27,204 Posts
007 is a great watch value, but mine is anything but accurate, it's off by about 15 sec/day which seems to be a deal breaker for you.

This thread needs pics

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
007 is a great watch value, but mine is anything but accurate, it's off by about 15 sec/day which seems to be a deal breaker for you.

If + or - 15 seconds a day is a deal breaker, I think he should go with a Seiko Solar Quartz.

My 007 was amazingly accurate the first couple months I had it. I'd set the time back hacking the seconds hand, and over a week later it would still be within 5 seconds of the atomic time standard. But that was last year. Since then, it's taken some hard knocks and drops, and was on my wrist when I low sided my motorcycle. Now it runs about a minute slow per day.

On that note, my Orient Bambino with a very similar movement to that Mako has been within 10-15 seconds per day since new. (Usually it's a little fast both on and off the wrist)

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Any specific Seiko Solar recommendations or does it just come down to personal preference?
Basically whatever style you like. I like SSC015, SSC017, SSC019, SSC021 (chronograph divers in various bezel colors) SSC081 (compass dial) and SSC 007, 009, (chronograph pilot).

I've seen the Pepsi bezel SSC on a rubber strap for as low as $160 on amazon. The other models are a little higher, but all can be found for under $200 if you shop around.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
None of the watches you showed had dive bezels and some were a bit dressier anyhow, so the 007/Mako aren't the right style anyhow. When I see the ones you posted, I think Citizen. I can't search right now from my phone, but there should be a ton of Eco-Drive models in those styles. Just my two cents.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using a monkey.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
To me, a sapphire crystal is a huge difference maker, and its pretty difficult for me to wear watches without one (except in rare cases, those with domed crystals for vintage looks). Sapphire makes a watch feel heavier, and it just seems a lot more solid to me with a sapphire crystal. If $150 is your limit, you are going to have very limited choices in a mechanical watch in sapphire, and probably none in a diver. Is sapphire necessary? No. I just find it really really nice, and once you've had it it's pretty difficult to go back.

What you might want to do, is stick with a basic Seiko like the Monster or 007 which are great divers for the money and then you can always add a sapphire crystal later if you choose to for $40-50 (plus whatever your jeweler/watchmaker charges to install it). If you don't want a diver, I suspect that Citizen probably makes something quartz with a sapphire crystal close to your price range if you search the deals. This might be more in line with what you want anyway.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would go with the orient mako. I have one since three years and I bought a sapphire crystal from yobokies and replaced the stock one. I was lucky was the movement because it gains around 2-3 seconds a day. But I wear it every second day because I have other watches which are not automatic. Still happy with the black mako and never regretted it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's hard to go wrong with Orient or Seiko. I have several Orient automatics and all are well made and reasonably accurate. By "reasonably accurate" I mean that I don't notice any accuracy issues. I don't check against an atomic clock, but I would notice if it gained/lost more than a minute over a week.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Have the black Mako and love it. It keeps the time fine. Get the watch you want!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts