WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'd like to get my boyfriend a gshock for christmas but i'm not sure of which one to get and i don't want to ask him which one he wants because then it'll be too obvious. he doesn't want it for anything in particular, he just really likes them so something basic. he is active, running, scalloping, things like that but i think he just wants one because he likes the look and how sturdy and reliable they are. help!

·
Registered
27 Posts
In that case my opinion is the "DW5000SL Spike Lee" which is the reproduction of the classic DW5000C I do own the original classic one and that is a awesome watch.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Below is my opinion of the most "G-Shock - like" G-Shocks.:-x
Don't get an ana-digi or Pathfinder if he did not expressly indicate he likes those. I think they are fine, but less of a characteristic G-Shock.

Search Amazon for "solar atomic g-shock", and pick some with not too big and round of a face. For example:
http://www.amazon.com/Casio-GW9000A-1-G-Shock-Mudman-Atomic/dp/B000UV0MJS/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1320900058&sr=8-16
or
Amazon.com: G-Shock G-Rescue Watch: Casio: Watches
or slightly more extreme:
http://www.amazon.com/Casio-GX56-1ACR-G-Shock-Resistant-Digital/dp/B003URWNIC/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1320900185&sr=8-32

A comment on negative displays; they are sometimes difficult to read, or you have to have the auto-light feature on all the time, which is cool too:
http://www.amazon.com/Casio-G9000MS...EW/ref=sr_1_46?ie=UTF8&qid=1320900324&sr=8-46

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I dont know a lot about G-Shock, so no model recommendation from me ~ that's not my thing, anyway

what I would recommend is for yourself to go out there and see the type of G-Shocks that are out there

go to the store and find out about them - see them in person and my hope is one of the model will just jump out at you - you know your boyfriend better than any of us, I'm sure you'll be able to pick one out that is 'right' for him

another suggestion is to stay away from what seems to be great sales prices, especially from questionable online shops - as there are imitations

best of luck in your search

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
I'd recommend the GW1500A (catchy name):

GW-1500A-1AV-watches-1294773755.jpg

It's about $100 at Walmart and has a lot of my favorite features. Solar powered and it syncs to an atomic clock in Colorado so it's perfectly accurate. Plus the cool honeycomb dial is a lot more interesting to look at than most g-shocks. Then you've got the digital subdials that do everything else, from seconds, to date, to stop watch, alarm, world time and so on. So it's affordable, available, does pretty much everything you'd want from a g-shock and it actually looks pretty cool.

389333_836999953404_18308506_39241570_1165728580_n.jpg
298344_837000003304_18308506_39241571_1216046585_n.jpg

·
Banned
626 Posts
Nice gift idea. Every man should own a G-Shock. :)

My all time favorite is the GW-2500 for looks and functions. It's an ana-digi.

My favorite "classic" Gs are the GW-6900 as a five button and the GW-5000 as a four button model. The 5000 is getting a bit harder to get and will be rather expensive at USD400+ but it is really special.

If you want one with a really great movement in terms of functions and not too expensive the G-7700 series is fantastic. Do not buy the negative display, though. Harder to read.

The GW-M850 is also VERY nice and almost elegant in its shape. It is not quite as huge as most others. The same is true for the 7700, btw.

I would rate these models among the TOP 10 of Gs in terms of form and function.

Now, if by scalloping you mean he hunts for scallops in the sea, a G-Shock with tide and moon graph would be just the right thing. I think the 5900 series does that and the 6900 series. Check out their website.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I just bought a GW6900 and love it. It's the classic G with atomic time-keeping and solar-power. Amazon has them for a very good price. Good luck! Nice girlfriend.

s.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
I'd also suggest the classic 6900 - in the updated version GW-6900 - worry-free and looks good, is big and easy to use. The standard black is best IMO (even though I sold mine and only have the yellow one - but the black version has a more comfy strap):

cheers, Sedi :)

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Welcome to WUS...there will be plenty of advice offered on your question. Possibly more than you hoped for! A couple of questions that might help is How old is your boyfriend, and what is the typical setting in which he'd wear a G? Work (what field), school, Casual wear, or outdoors only?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to WUS...there will be plenty of advice offered on your question. Possibly more than you hoped for! A couple of questions that might help is How old is your boyfriend, and what is the typical setting in which he'd wear a G? Work (what field), school, Casual wear, or outdoors only?

he's 20. he'd like to wear it to work, he's an electrician. i know he's also like to wear it everyday just for casual wear.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
You can't go wrong with a 6900. You can find one in just about any color imaginable, so you can decide how "colorful" he is. The 9000 series Mudman is a great choice as well, but they are a little smaller than the 6900. If you think he would like something with a little more "wrist presence," I would suggest any of the GD100 series. Again, there's some that are straight black, and others with quite a bit of color. If you really want to "WOW" him, and want to spend some $$, you can never go wrong with a Frog!!!

9000 Mudman

GD100

GDF100

Frog

And the King is never a bad idea, either!!!

King GX(W)56

Reactions: dad-the-diver

·
Registered
70 Posts
The first question is .. how much money you want to spend
Second question .. it will be the first watch? - Whether it be for every occasion or just to work?
third question .. feel like like a man or a child?
fourth question .. like sharp colors - whether he prefers the quiet colors

because my suggestion is GIEZ

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
he's 20. he'd like to wear it to work, he's an electrician. i know he's also like to wear it everyday just for casual wear.
An electrician should not wear anything with metal on his wrist.. unless he wants to risk electrocution! Therefore, no watch would be recommended by me!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i want to spend about 100 or under i'm thinking, but we'll see. its his first one and he pretty much wants to wear it for everything. and i think he want a more simple color like black.

The first question is .. how much money you want to spend
Second question .. it will be the first watch? - Whether it be for every occasion or just to work?
third question .. feel like like a man or a child?
fourth question .. like sharp colors - whether he prefers the quiet colors

because my suggestion is GIEZ

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
For over 100$ I would choose this one :-!

GW-M5600BC

GW-M5600BC-1-gshock-mens-watch.jpg

If I was your boyfriend, I would be happy with this one mentioned before, good bang for the buck

553683d1320910961-help-picking-out-gshock-gw-1500a-1av-watches-1294773755.jpg

Or this one - AWG-100-1AER

awg-100-1aer-a.jpg

·
Banned
626 Posts
Kaitlin, go with a smaller G-Shock rather than a bigger one if he wants to wear it to work. Electricians have to work in tight spaces and getting caught with a watch may mean death. Do consult with him on that issue. The HUGE GW-X56 recommended above would be a total no-go in that light.

Under $100 the GW-6900, G-7700 or the series with moonphase and tide info I suggested would work.

I'd choose two and give him a choice. It won't be a surprise anymore but believe me, we men are perfectly willing to see your good intentions and we appreciate it even more if we can have a little input and get exactly what we want. You still get full browny points for the excellent initiative and bonus points for letting us participate. Plus you get the added benefit of seeing him really excited when you go to pick out the watch. :) Most of these models are easily available at retailers. It is the models above $100 that are harder to find in a real store.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Great advice. The last time my wife gave me a choice between two Gs, I took both!

Sent from the Office of the Reincarnated President of the Republic of Texas

1 - 20 of 20 Posts