WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

probably a silly question, but what's the best way to give my Breitling a clean every now and then? I've recently got an Emergancy Mission in steel with a brown leather strap. I was wondering what's the best way to give it a good clean and remove day to day grease/dirt etc.

Best wishes and a Happy New Year,

Verner

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Hi there,

Soapy water and a soft cloth, don't use anything abrasive like a scotch pad or anything. I usually use a tiny amount of fairy liquid with lotsa water.

Cheers

Bry

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you wear glasses (i do) than use the glass cleaner with the nice soft cloth. It has no alcohol and it really makes the stainless shine beautifully.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
If you wear glasses (i do) than use the glass cleaner with the nice soft cloth. It has no alcohol and it really makes the stainless shine beautifully.
Do you mean those special tissues to clean glasses ?

Are the safe for the glass of the watch ?

Doesn't Breitling have a anti-reflecting coating on its watch-glass ?

And can the coating be damaged ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
It is precisely why eye glass cleaners (like the kind you get at lenscrafters,,the one in the clear bottle which also comes with a very very soft leather tissue) are the best. the coating is allot more sensetive on my glasses than on my watch so it works wonderfully. It has no alcohol and enough liqued mixture to clean everything from grease to dirt but not harsh to make any damage. I have used this for years and everytime i resell a watch i go a very thorough clean on it. I use it on the metal band to the face and all around the case and works like a champ. I never use anything stronger and my watches look almost new years later. Grease does a bummer on a watch so you should clean it out at the very least once a week.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
holly molly. Bad grammer and big time misspelling. Sorry but posted while working.

I have here tissues for glasses.
The text says " for glasses and opical material"

Ingredients: AQUA, ETHANOL ( ALCOHOL SDA 40 )

So would it be safe ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just read the bottle it contains isopropanol which is a low form of alcohol. Not enough to do any damage. I use this cleaning for my AR coated glasses and been using it for years and no problem. So the AR coating on the saphire on the watch should be fine. I usually spray a small amount on the leather rag and than wipe the watch down. I never spray it on the watch itself. Anyway like i said, i have been using this for years on my watches and on my glasses and neither has had any problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wouldnt use washing up liquid to be honest.....it contains salt and various chemicals.

Its not that bad , but i use a hand soap just to be on the safe side.

I use this method for all jewellery, take it from me working for a goldsmiths a few years back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts