WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Omega Seamaster Prof Chronograph and am attempting to remove the Omega Bracelet. I have removed one side, but am unable to remove the other. I am using a Bergeon 6767-F and have already gone through 3 forked tips over the last 4 hours. I am exhausted and my fingers and nerves are tired. Is it possible the spring bar on that side it warped or broken or something? It wont budge!!!!!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I have a 2003 Omega Seamaster Prof Chronograph and am attempting to remove the Omega Bracelet. I have removed one side, but am unable to remove the other. I am using a Bergeon 6767-F and have already gone through 3 forked tips over the last 4 hours. I am exhausted and my fingers and nerves are tired. Is it possible the spring bar on that side it warped or broken or something? It wont budge!!!!!
Part I, it's past midnight where you live... go to bed...
Part II, if it isn't getting any easier tomorrow let us know....
Pat III, buy a watch with drilled lugs next time. :)

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
It's next to impossible to remove those bracelets with a single tip springbar tool. You need the dual tipped pliers so both ends can be compressed at the same time. Otherwise you can't slide it out.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I saw your post on Timezone. Put the watch and spring bar tool down. Drink a couple of beers and go to bed. Tomorrow, take the watch to a jewelry repair shop and ask them to look at it. If you continue, you are going to hurt your watch, or yourself.

·
Registered
21,047 Posts

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
I saw your post on Timezone. Put the watch and spring bar tool down. Drink a couple of beers and go to bed. Tomorrow, take the watch to a jewelry repair shop and ask them to look at it. If you continue, you are going to hurt your watch, or yourself.

Take it to the jewelry shop only if you really trust them, otherwise your molehill might turn into a mountain. I've been too lazy and cheap to buy the correct watch tools. My armament consists of a pen knife, needle nose pliers, and, most importantly, a stout vice grip that holds nails of varying size to get in anywhere needed. And, of course, the obligatory double small screwdrivers for getting out the screwed-in links manufacturers try to confound us with.

Really, consider this an opportunity to not give your watch to someone who doesn't cherish it like you do. Study what's going on, why the springbar is not coming out. Everybody's advice, relax, step away?; it's right on. Slow the world down. Then look at the bracelet and the lugs and the springbar and see what's goin on. (I don't get there often, but see the value of that exercise as time goes on.)

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Have had the same issues on a couple watches, had my wife help both times. Usually once I have the the bracelet off it stays off, the experience has always sucked.
Peace,
Preston

·
Registered
15,240 Posts
I had exactly the same problem - with another watch - not too long ago, and I suffered as you seem to be suffering now.
I sought help, and many of my jolly fellow WUS's were kind enough to offer many valuable suggestions.
However, I was not able to use any one of them - I had to find another method.
The spring bar is pushing 'outward' - as it should, and the force you need apply to get it to contract it is not enough, am I right?
If this is the case, it also follows that the problem is with the tool not being able to get IN properly to do get a grip where it should, and do the job. I tried every type of removal tool. No go.

This is what worked for me: don't use the usual bar removal tool. USE AN EXACTO KNIFE. It is thin enough to get in between the spring bar and side of the lug. Wedge it in, and do yer thang.
You need to pry only one side loose, and the other side follows.
Good luck!

·
Registered
523 Posts
I had the same problem with another watch.

One spring bar was too big therefore you couldn't place the tool between the insert and the outer spring bar jacket.

Also, some spring bars have no collar notches that allow you to gain purchase when using the tool (those spring bars are designed for drilled lugs but are used very commonly on non-drilled through lugs)

The best way is to break it by pulling it away from the watch and then buying some proper spring bars (only if it is a cheapo spring bar).

You can also try cutting them with a suitable tool (if it is a heavy duty spring bar).

·
Registered
116 Posts
I tried resizing my bracelet myself by using one of those stitch removal tools found in sewing kits. It worked great for my Orient Oyster bracelet but not the Swiss Army one. I knew it was time to go to a professional when the tool slipped and stuck into my thumb. As the blood gushed out all I could think of was how I didn't want to go to a watch shop, but I am glad I did or I could have done damage to the watch as well. Just let a pro handle it. It will be worth it.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
I've had a few watches give me the same problem. o|

The local jeweler took care of things, no problem for him, and a lot less frustration for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts