WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a pocket watch from a local "junk shop" because I liked the design and the movement appears to be in good condition. I am going to have it serviced by a watchmaker, but I was hoping someone may know something about the maker and the movement.

The face of the watch says "Walton" at twelve-o'clock and "Swiss" in the six-o'clock position. The movement only says "17 Jewels" and has not visible serial number. The case was made by "S.W.C. Co. Scepter." I have attached a few photos. If you can offer any help, I would appreciate it! Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
7,743 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
The case was made by the Star Watch Case Co, founded in 1897 in Elgin Illinois. The Scepter model is a gold filled case. The watch is probably by a jeweler who sourced his movements from Switzerland, hopefully someone else can tell you what it is.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! That is a good start. The movement wants to work, but I think it has been overwound. I am going to take it to a watchmaker next week. I have several older watches I would like to get running again!

·
Registered
846 Posts
There is no such thing as 'overwound'. If anyone tries to sell you something and explains away a non-running watch by saying it is overwound, they either don't know what they're talking about, or are trying to scam you. If someone were to forcefully attempt to turn a stem and crown past full wind, something would break. If you turn the crown and it seems to be wound fully, it probably is. If it is not running, it could be any number of things causing it, but it certainly isn't overwound. Overwound is Horse Hockey.
That's my 'overwound' rant.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is no such thing as 'overwound'. If anyone tries to sell you something and explains away a non-running watch by saying it is overwound, they either don't know what they're talking about, or are trying to scam you. If someone were to forcefully attempt to turn a stem and crown past full wind, something would break. If you turn the crown and it seems to be wound fully, it probably is. If it is not running, it could be any number of things causing it, but it certainly isn't overwound. Overwound is Horse Hockey.
That's my 'overwound' rant.
Good to know! The movement does try to run, but stops after a few seconds. I hope some maintenance will bring it back to working condition!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts