WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
The watch arrived today, on removing the rear cover the battery that was in was a 2025 which I immediately removed, however there's obviously a gasket or 2 missing, and the LCD does appear to be goosed, I'm guessing due to a bigger battery begin inserted causing too much pressure on the LCD panel when the back was put back on, as the first image shows the display without a battery inserted, it does appear to function correctly with the correct battery, but unfortunately not legible

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,156 Posts
@BeefyMcWhatNow

I can't remember exactly, but I think depending on the module, (691 or 901), these watches took either a 2025 or 2016.

The models that fit a 2016 just have a spacer inside the metal ring to fit the smaller diameter battery. If you take the spacer out or it's missing, a 2025 fits.

I wonder if you strip the module and remove the LCD glass, that one or both conducting strips are either out of place or dirty?

I've never done that job on my 5xxxC's as I've not had that issue so can't give advice on how the LCD is secured in the module.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi.

Casio 901 module use CR-2016 (20mm. diameter / 1,6mm. thick)
Casio 691 module use CR-2320 (23mm. diameter / 2,0mm. thick)
Casio 240 module use CR-2320 (23mm. diameter / 2,0mm. thick)

They are all 3,0 volt.
The only difference between module 691 and 901 when ragarding battery, is the rubber-ring that fits around the battery on a 901-module.

Best Regards
Kairo

·
Premium Member
3,156 Posts
Hi.

Casio 901 module use CR-2016 (20mm. diameter / 1,6mm. thick)
Casio 691 module use CR-2320 (23mm. diameter / 2,0mm. thick)
Casio 240 module use CR-2320 (23mm. diameter / 2,0mm. thick)

They are all 3,0 volt.
The only difference between module 691 and 901 when ragarding battery, is the rubber-ring that fits around the battery on a 901-module.

Best Regards
Kairo
Cheers Kai, I was totally wrong then

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I neglected to mention I had the correct 2016 battery already, I'm just wondering whether the LCD is beyond repair?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Cheers Kai, I was totally wrong then

Not totally....;-)

I agree with you regarding the conductive-strips.
If not a new battery, cleaning the conductive strips and a AC-reset would help, maybe changing the polarization-film would help ? (Even if i would be surprised if that is the problem).

Kai

·
Premium Member
3,156 Posts
I neglected to mention I had the correct 2016 battery already, I'm just wondering whether the LCD is beyond repair?
Hard to say without taking the LCD out and having a good look.

I would definitely try the conductive strips as well.

Here's one of my 5600B modules, out of the case because I'm due to start a polish job sometime.

It should just be a case of unscrewing the two metal strips to get the LCD off.

The screws will be VERY short though so be careful! Also try to make sure each one goes back on in it's original position just in case they are different to each other in any way.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hard to say without taking the LCD out and having a good look.

I would definitely try the conductive strips as well.

Here's one of my 5600B modules, out of the case because I'm due to start a polish job sometime.

It should just be a case of unscrewing the two metal strips to get the LCD off.

The screws will be VERY short though so be careful! Also try to make sure each one goes back on in it's original position just in case they are different to each other in any way.

Due to the appearance of the display when there is no battery in at all, suggests to me it's not solved by cleaning the strips or AC reset, it's specific to one or 2 of the layers of the panel itself, I'm back in work from tomorrow so I've 10 less hours per day to fiddle, I'm also in no rush, so I'll look into playing with LCDs as I've never stripped one down before...

·
Premium Member
3,156 Posts
Due to the appearance of the display when there is no battery in at all, suggests to me it's not solved by cleaning the strips or AC reset, it's specific to one or 2 of the layers of the panel itself, I'm back in work from tomorrow so I've 10 less hours per day to fiddle, I'm also in no rush, so I'll look into playing with LCDs as I've never stripped one down before...
It almost sounds like some sort of burn in.

Definitely worth a strip down if you fancy a go!

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
A little update...

I didn't continue with this one as I decided that while I look for the bits I needed to repair, i'd offer it for sale at a price that would make it worth my while if it sells, and the watch sold for 4 times what I paid (to someone who has also decided to sell on without repairing, having removed the bezel which i'm assuming didn't come off in one piece)

the profit alone has now paid for another of the same model, which should arrive in the next day or 2, this one is on a band but minus the bezel, and the display looks ok from the photos, and the seller says they didn't have the means to remove the back, so i'm assuming theres nothing missing internally

once it arrives i'll update, I've seen the listing for a bezel, o ring and screw set from a seller @sodamonkey mentioned on the bay so i'll get those ordered soon, hopefully this will be up and running and firmly positioned in my collection soon, but obviously a less exciting journey than the other one could have been...

·
Premium Member
3,156 Posts
A little update...

I didn't continue with this one as I decided that while I look for the bits I needed to repair, i'd offer it for sale at a price that would make it worth my while if it sells, and the watch sold for 4 times what I paid (to someone who has also decided to sell on without repairing, having removed the bezel which i'm assuming didn't come off in one piece)

the profit alone has now paid for another of the same model, which should arrive in the next day or 2, this one is on a band but minus the bezel, and the display looks ok from the photos, and the seller says they didn't have the means to remove the back, so i'm assuming theres nothing missing internally

once it arrives i'll update, I've seen the listing for a bezel, o ring and screw set from a seller @sodamonkey mentioned on the bay so i'll get those ordered soon, hopefully this will be up and running and firmly positioned in my collection soon, but obviously a less exciting journey than the other one could have been...
Nice job mate!

I bought two of his bezels as soon as he had them, I think they sold out pretty quickly.

I've seen the set he has, but I've had the aftermarket straps before and they aren't as comfortable as the Casio ones, which can still be got BTW. In actual fact I got two genuine ones from a UK Ebay seller the other week for about £11 each.

Also, the buckles on the aftermarket straps are horrible!!

The only problem with the genuine straps from Ebay is that they always seem to be with the gold buckles, never silver. What I usually do though, (if a 5xxxC find comes with the strap, is use the original buckle to add some authenticity back to the watch.

·
Registered
30 Posts
A little update...

Minus the postage you paid on the original £25. I'm guessing it sold for £80+. If so, that's a definite score!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)

This arrived today, effectively free of charge, minor scratch next to the rem button on the glass but otherwise very tidy, seller said he couldn't get the back off to change the battery, turns out it was very tight and did take me a few minutes to get it undone, the inside was immaculate, quick battery swap and reset and up and running, gave it a little clean and sanitise

For the time being I've just slapped on a dw5600e used bezel and the bar to hold it on until the new correct bezel arrives, all the corner screws came out nicely, one was a little stiff so I took my time

Overall I'm very impressed with the condition, my already complete square collection is now complete, until I find the next one to complete it again, and again, and you know how it goes...

EDIT: I didn't notice until just now that it isn't the same version as the quick flip one I got before, so I need to be on the lookout for a bezel with gold lettering on as I have gold buckle, buttons and border...

·
Premium Member
3,156 Posts
I haven't yet, I have messaged an ebay seller, nothing back yet, are the ones you bought 3d printed ones?
I'm not sure how they are made. I would say in a mould though as they are soft resin/rubber. Isn't 3d printing stuff made of a kind of plastic?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Oh yeh of course, I've misunderstood a description that states how well they fit and are perfectly printed, but that obviously refers to the printed lettering, I should think before I post silly questions :ROFLMAO:

21 - 39 of 39 Posts