WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used titanium Seamaster Professional Chronometer from eBay...it looks great and keeps time accurately, but the hour hand for the chronograph feature won't stop! It keeps turning even when the chrono is not running. When I press the reset button it zeros out along with the second hand, but then starts running again. Is this normal? Is this a well known fault which can be easily fixed by an Omega AD? The watch came with an original box but no signed warranty card, only a warranty certificate with a serial number on it.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Spackler. I'm sorry to hear about the trouble with your SMPCh, which certainly isn't normal. I don't want to alarm you, but are you certain it's genuine? If you could post some photos, we could confirm. It sounds like it's going to need to go in for repair, though.

eric

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks eptaz...Is it possible that this is hour register creep? Or does hour register creep just creep, not run constantly?

I took the watch to an experienced jeweler (not an Omega AD though) who said that he believed it to be genuine, but of course I'm not 100% certain. It came with outer and inner boxes, two instruction booklets, a warranty certificate, and the plastic Omega tags, as well as extra links. I will of course have to take it to an AD to be absolutely certain...and probably to get this problem diagnosed.

Here are some photos of the watch: The first one doesn't really give you an idea of the problem because I had just reset the chronograph.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
The good news is that the watch is genuine. You're correct that hour register creep is something different, and it's not typical of Valjoux 7750-based movements.

I'm not a watchmaker, so I can't even offer an informed guess as to what's going on, but we have some guys around here, who know a lot more about this kind of stuff than I do. In the end, your going to have to see a watchmaker.

It looks nice, though. These are generally solid, rugged, watches with dependable movements. It should offer you many years of enjoyment...once you get it fixed.

eric

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reassurance Eric. I looked at it closely, and found the serial number on the 7 o'clock lug where the Omega site says it should be. This number matches the number on the warranty card. I'll just have to take it to a service center, get an estimate, and see if I can get some $ back from the seller for the repairs! (He advertised it on eBay as functioning perfectly....)

I'm still very excited about the watch, thanks for your help!

·
Registered
583 Posts
I've stripped down, cleaned, reassembled and oiled a seamaster chrono 1164 /val 7750 movement and can confirm why the hour chrono hand keeps running. This wheel at 6 o'clock is actually always in continued drive from the main spring barrel via a direct gear drive. The actual wheel directly under this hour hand is constructed as a friction fit sliding clutch drive with a plastic brake that holds or releases the top of the wheel which operates the hour hand indicator. When you set the reset, a separate arm presses against a heart shaped cam to set the hour hand back to zero/12 position. The problem is your plastic brake is not holding when chrono stop or chrono reset is applied. Either the plastic brake is worn out, broken or missing (due to bad previous service). Failing this the wheel's friction clutch has too much friction which is overwhelming the brake's hold and simply needs some oil lubrication as advised in ETA's servicing of this chrono hour wheel. This is actually very easy to fix during the next servicing, with worse case a new replacement brake arm needed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You guys are impressive :-!...Within few messages he got good answers on authenticity and possible problem with the watch...No wonder why I keep coming back here ;-)..

·
Registered
583 Posts
No problem. I actually own the exact same watch in Ti since 1999 & got to know the workings of this wonderful work horse movement which I personally feel is in it's ultimate guise as the reworked Omega 1164. I actually prefer it over the 3301 movement with the column wheel mechanism.
If you really want to see a great write up on this 7750 movement then the article by Walt Odets is at: http://www.timezone.com/library/horologium/horologium631672313433425752
Photos and description of the workings of "The 12 hour accumulator" are pretty well shown in part 2 of this link. However, Walt suggests that care should be taken in not overusing the chronograph function due to lack of jeweled holes to support the hour wheel accumulator. I totally disagree, as the drive to this wheel is always in constant use, so if anything you are wearing out the friction sliding clutch mechanism built into the wheel when the chronograph is actually in the stopped position. IMHO less wear occurs to this wheel when the chronograph is actually running.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts