WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning fellow watch enthusiasts :)
i would first of all like to sincerely wish anyone and everyone reading this the best of health in these awful, hard and trying times.

A little snippet about me, I currently own several watches, ranging from a Rolex Submariner 200m cca 1980+, Cartier Pasha Seatimer, numerous Casio's and several "trivia" watches.
I received the Rolex from my father for my 18th birthday, i wore the watch for years on end after which i wore the aforementioned Cartier. During this time, i noticed that each of these two magnificent marvels of engineering were off in terms of performing the task they were built for, telling the time accurately, seeing as this inaccuracy bothered me immensely, i set these mechanical watches monthly against an atomic clock ofcourse.

This, to be frank, bothersome and needless activity started my quest for finding a watch that does it's, de facto, job. Bearing this in mind, i have been using various atomic Casio's, most notably of which the Bear Grylls model, the awesome Gulfmaster triple sensor all black and lastly i bought a Casio full metal "square" B-5000.

The "solar battery module" has been replaced by Casio once already in the "square" Casio, but alas, the same problem reared its ugly head again in December of last year. I have sent the watch back to Casio, or the dealer rather, and am now in the process of trying to determine my next step.

I have done my homework and have come upon the Longines VHP Chrono, as the main contender, i would prefer the chrono model, with a blue dial and rubber strap.

My question is as follows, has anyone had any real world experience with the Longines VHP chrono, post 2018 so the "new" model, i would like to know if they have indeed achieved the specified accuracy rating of +/- 5 SPY as well as any pertinent information that a fellow enthusiast regards as such.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Curious as to why that level of accuracy is required?
Thank you for reading Dan :)

I would be satisfied with a watch that actually delivers on a claim of +/- 5 SPY (of course without any synchronization) although the plethora of Casios i own have genuinely been on an atomic level of precision, for example my Gulfmaster triple sensor hasn't skipped a beat since i got it in 2014, of course this type of technology does require synchronization and is very susceptible to macro geological factors such as geographical location, density of clouds and so forth...

As far as i can gather from other people's limited experience with post 2018 Longines VHP models the overall impression is that they have managed to make a product that does in fact deliver...some issues regarding the exact positioning/landing of the second hand came up but this varies and is not too common an occurrence, i have NOT found anyone that has measured real world precision...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As to why that level of precision is required, I presume it's my own faulty wiring, so to speak, i personally am genuinely satisfied by absolute precision (although i am not German :) )... i also have come to the conclusion that if i use a watch it should be an instrument that tells the time, and that does so as accurately as possible, within sane parameters of course, i know that certain timepieces already exist that deliver almost absolute accuracy ie 1 +/- SPY (Citizen Caliber 0100 but this is a pocket watch and cost quite a lot of money)

In my very humble opinion it's quite absurd for anyone not looking to draw attention to oneself to purchase a timepiece with the price tag of a quality saloon car that is in fact "off" by 15+ seconds a DAY?! i think that any generic quartz is precise to within +/- 15 seconds a month so the only reason for getting a mechanical/automatic watch, that looks exquisite, is made by a premium watchmaker, and is "off" by 15 seconds + a day is pure self decoration

·
Registered
243 Posts
it's quite absurd for anyone not looking to draw attention to oneself to purchase a timepiece with the price tag of a quality saloon car that is in fact "off" by 15+ seconds a DAY?
You may be misunderstanding the reasons why people like and buy mechanical watches, I think it's seldom to do with attention or indeed accuracy.
Remember that every watch tells the time perfectly accurately, perhaps not to your specific time reference but perfectly accurately!
I'll leave this great quote to summarize the conceptual and abstract nature of time.

"Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so..." Douglas Adams

·
Registered
243 Posts
An interesting point though, I wonder who / what decides on "the" time reference, is it the GPS satellites?
I have a Casio that takes a daily time signal from something like that so that should be pretty accurate.
Just been looking at those Longine and they look lovely especially the blue dial VHP chrono and the GMT.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Fascinating stuff

UT0 is Universal Time determined at an observatory by observing the diurnal motion of stars or extragalactic radio sources, and also from ranging observations of the Moon and artificial Earth satellites.

UT1 is the principal form of Universal Time. While conceptually it is mean solar time at 0° longitude, precise measurements of the Sun are difficult. Hence, it is computed from determining the positions of distant quasars using long baseline interferometry, laser ranging of the Moon and artificial satellites, as well as the determination of GPS satellite orbits. UT1 is the same everywhere on Earth

UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) is an atomic timescale that approximates UT1. It is the international standard on which civil time is based. It ticks SI seconds, in step with TAI. It usually has 86,400 SI seconds per day but is kept within 0.9 seconds of UT1 by the introduction of occasional intercalary leap seconds. As of 2016, these leaps have always been positive (the days which contained a leap second were 86,401 seconds long). Whenever a level of accuracy better than one second is not required, UTC can be used as an approximation of UT1.

So the best we can hope for is within 0.9s

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
During this time, i noticed that each of these two magnificent marvels of engineering were off in terms of performing the task they were built for, telling the time accurately
For mechanical watches, that purpose was lost 50 years ago. Like all commercial products, watches are primarily designed to make a profit. After the quartz watch was invented, accurate timing has never been the strong point of mechanical watches ever again. They sell for other reasons.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Here's the most accurate watch I own; in fact, I use it to set my mechanicals too. It has been accurate to the exact second, minute, hour, day, and date since the day I purchased it over 5 years ago. No battery changes either.

Change time zones, pull out the crown, dial the second hand to the time zone you want, and press it back in. Dazed and confused about what time zone you are in, press two pushers in, and the Satellites set the watch to the correct time.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I have the plain 3 hander, not chrono model. Its currently running 6 seconds fast according to time.is. I think the last time I set it was last year at DST switchover, so about 1 year give or take a few days.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.