WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been back and forward deciding if I can justify the leap to Rolex and more specifically the polar explorer II 16570 and after some deliberation and many hours spent both consciously and subconsciously I’ve decided the 16570 will be my next purchase.

My budget is around £3500 however I’m prepared to go slightly above should I need it. Am I right in saying chrono24 is the best place for me to look and consider purchasing from Europe? Models in the UK seem to be more expensive and USA is out of the question due to import fees.

I understand tritium was used up to 1998.

When was solid end links used? I always wear my watches on the bracelet so no lug holes does not bother me.

Should I be looking for one post 2003? I don’t think I can afford a 3816 movement model within my budget. Again should I consider no box and papers as long as it’s from a store?

Sorry for all the questions this is a big step up from my previous Seiko marinemaster 300 purchase at £1100

·
Banned
7,741 Posts
Honestly I would check out HQMilton. They are top notch and if I recall they ship internationally.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Should I be looking for one post 2003?
why 2003?

I don’t think I can afford a 3816 movement model within my budget.
fwiw, the price difference at a jeweler here between a 2004 (3185 movement) and 2008 (3186) was only $200 CDN. and afaict, all else was pretty much equal.

Again should I consider no box and papers as long as it’s from a store?
as i never intend to sell mine, yes, i would have considered that. especially if it knocked down the price some. i also got a 2nd opinion from my watchmaker about my own 16570 purchase, and his "blessing" gave me piece of mind. that would have been even more important if it was just the watch.

are you going for black or polar?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should I be looking for one post 2003?
why 2003?

I don’t think I can afford a 3816 movement model within my budget.
fwiw, the price difference at a jeweler here between a 2004 (3185 movement) and 2008 (3186) was only $200 CDN. and afaict, all else was pretty much equal.

Again should I consider no box and papers as long as it’s from a store?
as i never intend to sell mine, yes, i would have considered that. especially if it knocked down the price some. i also got a 2nd opinion from my watchmaker about my own 16570 purchase, and his "blessing" gave me piece of mind. that would have been even more important if it was just the watch.

are you going for black or polar?
I thought after 2003 was solid end links?

I’m looking polar. I don’t think my budget would allow for a 3816

1 - 6 of 6 Posts