WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering this vintage Universal Geneve Polerouter.
The crown isn't signed. It matches perfectly in color (to my judgement) and the seller says she thinks it is original.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not original and not correct. Should have the "U" insignia.
Thanks.
What say you about the dial? It looks sharp but I've never seen this font on the Automatic and the lume markers are slightly smudged.

This is right

Thanks. What about the dial? The lume markers are kind of weird and that's an odd font used in the Automatic.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I respectfully disagree with Tony.

The finish on the dial may be original, but that cursive font "Automatic" was used only by Longines-Wittnauer (and their client, LeCoultre) on watches imported to the USA. Universal was imported by a different company.

The dots look very messy also. My opinion is that the dial is at least partially refinished.
gatorcpa

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The finish on the dial may be original, but that cursive font "Automatic" was used only by Longines-Wittnauer (and their client, LeCoultre) on watches imported to the USA. Universal was imported by a different company.

The dots look very messy also. My opinion is that the dial is at least partially refinished.
gatorcpa
Would that be a deal-breaker for you?
I paid under $400 shipped.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes. If you are going to flip it, and think it's a redial, what would you say in the listing?

Not much money to be made here.
gatorcpa
I'll say it might be partially refinished. I don't know for sure, you're the only one so far to think so (which is fine)
Also, think about it, they all have the same simple font - why choose this one on the re-dial?

·
Premium Member
13,381 Posts

gatorcpa
Agreed with gator

1 - 12 of 12 Posts