WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a black SNK809 that fell of my wrist when removing it for the night and hit a hardwood floor from about 4 feet. It immediately starting running 10 minutes fast per day or about 0.5 sec per minute. I have tried the "taps on the back" and on the side and such but it is not working. I have a tool I 3d printed to unscrew the back safely if that is needed to fix it. I do not think the adjuster arm has enough travel to compensate for that kind of error.

Here are some close up pictures of the movement.

1005151526.jpg

1005151526a.jpg

Other than running fast the movement seems to work fine. Surely there is a way to fix it. I would be very appreciative of your help.

Thanks so much in advance.

Bob

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Sounds like the impact may have displaced the hairspring, it may be hung up on something making it's length shorter and causing the crazy gain. Look at it under a loop and see if you can see where it is caught up.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
You've probably knocked the regulator out of position, they usually make an approximately 90 degree angle with the other lower lever (do not touch the lower lever that points to the case). Heres a pic of the lever that might need nudging towards the centre of the watch to speed it up.

PICT2188.JPG

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Sounds like the impact may have displaced the hairspring, it may be hung up on something making it's length shorter and causing the crazy gain. Look at it under a loop and see if you can see where it is caught up.
This is definitely worth looking at. I had this exact problem with a watch of mine that suffered a shock.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I've heard/read about this before, but don't remember exactly where... Do a search either here in WUS, TZ forum or SCWF. The solution I read about was pretty simple, if it's a case of the spring somehow being displaced or caught up on itself. You are supposed to take the watch and slap it really hard in the palm of your hand to free the spring. I know it seems a counter intuitive thing to do but I'd try that before opening up the watch to regulate yourself. That would be a last resort, Seiko movements are notoriously hard to regulate yourself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! I did not expect that much response. Thank you all!

I did try the tap on the front and back trick and it did not help. I did however, get a 10x loupe and take some pics with my camera. The spring is in the slot on the end stud and regulator stud. However, I found a funny curve in the spring about where the "K" and "O" is in Seiko. I have highlighted this part of the spring in the below pictures. I have compared this to the pictures of other 7s26's innards online and cannot find one that has this curve. Does like look like a bent hairspring? The spring is not broke, per se, it still oscillates, albeit fast. I am attaching pictures below to get your opinions.

Thanks a ton!

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Here is a picture (borrowed from the web) of a new 7s26c which is the movement in your watch:

7s26c.jpg

Unfortunately it shows the same bend in the hairspring in the exact spot as you photo, so no this is not the cause of your problem. It is supposed to have this geometry. Changes have been made to the 7s26 movement, four versions at least of this movement including the "c" revision that you have, so you may have been looking at pictures of a version other than the movement in your watch. If you can find a watchmaker in your area, not a jewelry store unless they have one on staff, they can probably diagnose this pretty quickly and fix it for you. If they charge more that half the price of a replacement Seiko of the same type, just buy a new one.

·
Registered
196 Posts
This watch is $65 on amazon.

Buy a new one and take this one apart to learn some .....

·
Premium Member
61,645 Posts
We are all enablers of the worst kind on here so give in and treat yourself to a new watch. If you catch any grief for it you can always say the guys on WUS made you do it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Sticky! The watch was a family gift so I have a good reason to repair it. To thicken the plot a bit, the watch appears to be magnetized too. I have a nice compass that will spin when it is about a cm above the watch face. It is strong enough to reverse the needle when the watch is oriented properly. I think I might pick a eBay demagnetizer and try it. Do you think magnetization could throw a watch off 10 min a day?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I have a black SNK809 that fell of my wrist when removing it for the night and hit a hardwood floor from about 4 feet. It immediately starting running 10 minutes fast per day or about 0.5 sec per minute. I have tried the "taps on the back" and on the side and such but it is not working. I have a tool I 3d printed to unscrew the back safely if that is needed to fix it. I do not think the adjuster arm has enough travel to compensate for that kind of error.

Here are some close up pictures of the movement.

View attachment 5579425

View attachment 5579441

Other than running fast the movement seems to work fine. Surely there is a way to fix it. I would be very appreciative of your help.

Thanks so much in advance.

Bob
Set the watch down, let it completely unwind ..... You want it to be completely unwound ..... this is important if it's snagged and it may be snagged where you can't see it. The way you describe the running that's probably what you've got ..... If there's any wind on the spring it may not free itself when you try the following

Gently tap the side of the case with an open palm, a few times on one side and then the other, this may unsnag it ..... get it going again and hope for the best .....

Reactions: BrentYYC

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice! I let it run down completely and did the case taps as you suggested. Unfortunately it still runs 1 second fast every two minutes.

So, I rolled back the sleeves and took the case apart. I removed the spring hoping that if something was stuck in it, it would fall out. I did not see anything and put the spring back in. I only had to remove one screw and it was relatively easy. Alas, it still runs one second fast every 2 minutes.

I did notice that my tweezers seemed to stick to the arm which held the spring. I have never noticed my tweezers being magnetic, and I use them quite a bit. I assume if it was the bar that was magnetized, it would effect the spring movement, since it is steel as well.

I have an el-cheapo ebay blue electric demagnetizer coming in the mail. Hopefully it will cure it.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Thanks for the advice! I let it run down completely and did the case taps as you suggested. Unfortunately it still runs 1 second fast every two minutes.

So, I rolled back the sleeves and took the case apart. I removed the spring hoping that if something was stuck in it, it would fall out. I did not see anything and put the spring back in. I only had to remove one screw and it was relatively easy. Alas, it still runs one second fast every 2 minutes.

I did notice that my tweezers seemed to stick to the arm which held the spring. I have never noticed my tweezers being magnetic, and I use them quite a bit. I assume if it was the bar that was magnetized, it would effect the spring movement, since it is steel as well.

I have an el-cheapo ebay blue electric demagnetizer coming in the mail. Hopefully it will cure it.
Now you know, only use non magnetic tools near a watch, especially one with the case off .....

Are you near a Best Buy ..... ask the girl at check out to zap the watch a few times, that's how they deactivate the magnetic strips in security packaged items ..... If it's magnetized that'll fix it for ya .....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I received my demagnetizer last night. I held the demagnetizer button in while I let the watch rest on it for several seconds. Then, while holding the button down, I drew it away slowly, letting the button go when I was about 2-3 feet away.

There was no change in the time keeping. It still runs 10 min fast per day.

I did the routine several times. The demagnetizer was very powerful. The whole watch vibrated and it made the lights dim!

I have visually checked the spring, even removing it from the case and replacing it. I have demagnetized the watch. What else should I try? I really would like to fix it and appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I received my demagnetizer last night. I held the demagnetizer button in while I let the watch rest on it for several seconds. Then, while holding the button down, I drew it away slowly, letting the button go when I was about 2-3 feet away.

I did the routine several times. The demagnetizer was very powerful. The whole watch vibrated and it made the lights dim!

I have visually checked the spring, even removing it from the case and replacing it. I have demagnetized the watch. What else should I try? I really would like to fix it and appreciate all the help.
Send it to me ..... and regardless of what anyone else says I did get the battery out ..... Smashed watch.jpg ..... there is a watchmaking forum here, I suggest you ask a watchmaker what they think because my streetwise ideas so far aren't doing you any good .....

·
Registered
2,415 Posts

You replaced the hairspring? Or removed the balance complete with the cock from the movement, then put it back.
This is apparently a sentimental piece and it would appear you are in over your head...perhaps it is time to try a watchmaker. Where are you located? Regards, BG

·
Registered
463 Posts
The watch has hit a wooden floor from a couple of feet.
The watch is magnetic.
You have tampered with the hairspring.
You have smacked it in your hand several times.
You have demagnetised it.

Poor watch!
Entangled hairspring is not likely, because it is a 7S26C movement. Only the B revision had this problem, the C revision had a fix for it (shorter pin near hairspring).
You may stop smacking it now :)

You could try and regulate it yourself. It is a bit tricky with this movement (no fine adjustment). There are how-to's on the web with a hacked microphone and the use of the free program Audacity.
You could bring it to a good watchmaker, it should be a VERY cheap fix (couple of dollars).
If regulating does not work, and the watch has sentimental value: Find a new movement. Here in the Netherlands I've heared prices as low as €50. (That was if you need a replacement movement for a watch bought from that supplier).

What is strange to me: the fall the watch made can not have caused the magnetism off course. But you stated the watch did not run fast before the fall. Did the compass move less then a couple of degrees after demagnitation? Test this with the compass right next to the watch.

good luck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts