WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a really annoying problem and I need some advise on what I am doing wrong.

I have recently purchased a 1970's Seiko 6139.7160T "helmet" chronograph.

Seiko watch.jpg

When I first got it I gave it a quick shake and it started working straight away :-!. I then proceeded to wear it for a week and it ran just fine. Then one morning it had stopped when I got up and I could not get it to restart. I have tried all manner of different things but I could not get it to run. I can hear the rotor moving around and there is a clicking sound as if it is charging but it refused to start o|.

I sent it back to the dealer I bought it from and when he checked it and opened it up it ran fine and everything was working as it should be. He gave it a shake for 20 seconds and the watch ran for 4-5 hours. I have now received it back from him, but again I have stuggled to get it to charge and run:-s.

Perversly I wore the watch today to see if it would run under normal daily movement. After about an hour of me wearing it the watch started working and then proceeded to work all day. Unfortunately it has now stopped again and I cannot seem to do anything to get it to run again. o|

What the hell am I doing wrong. All of my other watches have a manual wind option so I can get them started that way, but I have never had this kind of issue before with any of my mechanical watches.

The frustrating thing is that this is my first Seiko purchase and I was looking to purchase a Black Monster next. From what I can tell it has a similar (if more modern) variation of the same movement, and I am starting to get put off Seiko.

Please can somebody advise me how to get this watch to wind. Is there a technique or trick to winding this movement?:think:

Any help would be much appreciated !!!!!!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
That sounds like a hairspring problem, probably caught on one of the holders tap its side on the palm of your hand a couple of times to see if it dislodges, if not its a trip to the watchdoctor Im afraid.

Pete

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
That sounds like a hairspring problem, probably caught on one of the holders tap its side on the palm of your hand a couple of times to see if it dislodges, if not its a trip to the watchdoctor Im afraid.

Pete
I appreciate your enthusiasm but this just plain bad advice.

Firstly, these old calibres never had the problems with hairsprings that the latest generation of 7sxx, 4rxx and 6rxx movements inherited. Slapping any watch around is not sound advice; even if others, who should know better, suggested it.

The OP's 6139 is about 40 years old and if the service history is unknown, it is due(probably way over due) for a thorough service. More than likely it has old and congealed oils and maybe even some dust bunnies in it ;)

If this was a Swiss piece and had not been serviced for that length of time; it would have stopped decades ago. A proper cleaning and lubrication should restore this watch to the point where it could give another 40 years of trouble free service :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Ahh thats the advice I was given for one of mine although a lot newer, also I have seen this posted in lots of places, but your advice sounds better, much better.

·
Registered
Unabashed Casio G-Shock fanboy
8,352 Posts
I also think it needs a good servicing. I'm surprised it even started up after 40+ years of lying around in the back somewhere. The fact that can hold a charge for a relatively inconsistent number of hours is a telling sign that it needs a servicing. It does suck because you'll be left without a watch for a month or two, if you send it away. But the time and money spent is worth it if you like the watch.

But damn, a 40 year old watch that can still roll in 2012 for at least a little while, that's really impressive. b-)

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. According to the dealer I bought it from the watch has been serviced. Unfortunately I still cannot get it to run. I think I will have to take it to my local watch repair man to see if he can pop the back off and spot anything obvious.

Out of wondering is there a technique to winding these watches. Should I be holding it crown up or down? Should it be upside down? Should I be flicking as I shake? I just want to know if there are any better ways to wind these watches.

Any thoughts?

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Thanks for the responses. According to the dealer I bought it from the watch has been serviced. Unfortunately I still cannot get it to run. I think I will have to take it to my local watch repair man to see if he can pop the back off and spot anything obvious.

Out of wondering is there a technique to winding these watches. Should I be holding it crown up or down? Should it be upside down? Should I be flicking as I shake? I just want to know if there are any better ways to wind these watches.

Any thoughts?
Face up and swing it from side to side. If it is in good shape, you shouldn't have to 'flick' it.
If you are in really good shape, you can actually get the rotor spinning continuously and that will charge it up a lot quicker; but it will definitely stress your shoulder :-d

Should that not appeal to you, there are always automatic winders to be had.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just got an 6139-8020 another day. The dealer also say it was serviced 2 months ago.

When I open the watch, I guess when he say servicing, he mean oiling and basic stuffs, not the type of full service you will get from a watchmaker.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts