WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone! Bought my first real watch over the weekend as a first step into this great hobby and went with the infamous SKX009!

Today I took my watch to Macys to get the bracelet resized and noticed when I got home that I had a protruding spring bar on the clasp in the micro-adjustment slots of about 1-2mm on each side.

I have a feeling the associate lost my original spring bar while adjusting and put in a generic SEIKO spring which was the incorrect size
Questions:
1. Is this normal for the spring bars to stick out?
2. If not, what is the exact spring bar part used in the micro adjustment clasp for the SKX009?

Thinking of taking it back to get a new spring-bar or just buying one online and doing it myself.

See below for reference:

20171208_023759.jpg 20171208_024916.jpg 20171208_025029.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
That's not normal. Either they switched a lug spring bar with the clasp spring bar or they used the clasp spring bar from a different watch. The ends of the clasp spring bar shouldn't stick out like that.

·
Registered
309 Posts
My SKX doesn't stick out like that either. I think you are correct in assuming they sent you home with a different micro-adjust spring bar. I don't know where you bought your watch, but are you sure it didn't look like that before you went to Macys to have it sized? If it was fine before, I'd head back to Macys and see if they can make it right.

I hope you get it sorted. Let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jon and Beer for the confirmation! May just order a new bar and put it in myself. Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Lol it’s a fat Seiko springbar meant for attaching the strap. The ones that attach the clasp to the bracelet are smaller and thinner. Looks weird.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Lol it’s a fat Seiko springbar meant for attaching the strap. The ones that attach the clasp to the bracelet are smaller and thinner. Looks weird.
Totally agree. Let me also add that most likely the clasp has 20mm. Hence, if the spring bar is a 22mm, then it has to stick out.

·
Premium Member
64,774 Posts
The other spring bar on the clasp is the length that one should be so you can tell that it’s not right. Assuming it’s “wrong” who knows when it got in there?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I did the same thing when I removed a couple links from my SKX007 bracelet. Had to dig around to find the right spring bar on the table and finally found it. It’s not the same that’s for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Another point: those low quality "watchmakers" usually do not have a Seiko fat bar available. Given that he put one in the clasp, I will not be surprised if the guy messed the things up to the point that your watch currently does not have the two fat bars in the lugs. I would take the watch to a better place and have the bracelet assembly properly checked.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Totally agree. Let me also add that most likely the clasp has 20mm. Hence, if the spring bar is a 22mm, then it has to stick out.
Nope, that's not it. You wouldn't be able to use a 22mm spring bar in an application that needs a 20mm.

The end of a spring bar that fits in the hole is called a pivot. The correct spring bar for the micro adjustment clasp on the bracelet uses a spring bar with a shorter pivot.

Reactions: Seiko Madness
1 - 12 of 12 Posts