Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Tissot prc200

Votes: 5 22.7%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and i am in a little jam. I want to get my boyfriend a watch for Christmas my spending limit is anything under $750 new or used. I have done a lot of looking around and researching and i have narrowed it down to 3 watches.

1.Tag Heuer formula 1 mode
l WAH1110.BA0858
2. Tissot Prc200 model T17.1.586.52
3. Lum-Tec Combat b16

Months ago he looked at a Tissot Prc200 and was fond of it, however he said it was a little small on his wrist. The Lum-Tec b16 is what he seems to like the most, he has talked about this watch
a lot saying he loves the look of the watch, also its automatic witch he likes. The Tag Heuer Formula 1 I came across on my own and don't know much about. Because he loves the looks of the Lum-Tec should i pull the trigger? If any of you have a Lum-Tec what do you think? I am open to all suggestions! Thank you all for your help!

·
Premium Member
40,143 Posts
Get him what he wants. The LumTec is a decent watch, and he's probably be happier with that than either of the others.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
If he felt the Tissot was small he will probably think the same of the F1.

·
Registered
620 Posts
The Lum-Tec would fall into the pilot watch category and there are lots of different brands available with models similar to the LumTec b16. It sure looks like a nice watch and I would get him this one before the others you mentioned.

If you want to individualise your present a little, but stay with the style, you could for example chose the hamilton pilot auto (http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/collection/khaki/aviation/pilot-auto/h64715535) or the laco Fliegeruhr B, (https://shop.laco.de/de/Fliegeruhren-B.html) although the latter might not make it to the States on time for christmas (if that is where you reside)

If you do a forum search for "B dial" you should find lots more options.
Good luck!

·
Registered
14,078 Posts
You know he likes the Lum-Tec so I'd go that route. I've owned two or three of them are they are some of the best watches in that price point but I think Christopher Ward is little nicer. These are similar to the pilot style Lum-Tec. It's very easy to add a black strap if he really wants the all black look.

C8 Pilot Mk II - Vintage Edition - Brown - C8-kVKT-MK2 - Automatic - Antimagnetic; Incabloc Anti-shock; Superluminova; Exhibition back - Swiss Made

Swiss Made Christopher Ward C11 MSL Vintage Edition Aviator automatic watch with leather strap

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
As a man with very specific tastes who is married to a woman with very specific tastes, I shudder a little whenever well intentioned folks go out on a limb and try to "find something that someone else would like". It might work but if you've got a clear stated preference, don't second guess that...at least not with a watch.

I didn't try to guess when it came time to buy an engagement ring. Perhaps it wasn't romantic but she got what she wanted.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Sounds like he really likes that B16. I say go for that. When it comes to watches, get him what he really wants or he'll never really feel satisfied. I did the same thing for my 13 year old daughter last week for her 13th birthday. She asked for a purple baby g, and my wife found a white one that was on sale at Nordstrom. I could tell though my daughter only sort of liked the white model. I did a little searching and found the purple jelly version of the same watch for a little more money. Gave it to her last week and she is ECSTATIC. Loves to wear it and play with the functions. I'm sure your boyfriend will feel the same about the Lumtec.

I actually have my Lumtec M41 on today. Lumtec makes great watches and the fact that they are an American based company in Ohio and hand assembles their watches here in the states is icing on the cake.

·
Premium Member
66,582 Posts
Just to be awkward I voted for the Tissot because I like it best BUT your BF like the Lum-Tec so that is the one to get.

·
Premium Member
32,501 Posts
I second Christopher Ward for another option. They are nice and not ordinary. Good options and great customer service if you want something a bit different.

I also think your boyfriend would find the Tag too small if he thinks that of the Tissot.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I had 2 C.Wards. Quality watches.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
The Lum-Tec b16 is what he seems to like the most, he has talked about this watch a lot saying he loves the look of the watch, also its automatic witch he likes.
A present should be an item the recipient likes and wants. I think you know the answer to your question... If in doubt, take him to a store, or even browsing online, and have him pick one out that he likes and buy it for him. Sure, it's not as "nice" as having a surprise in a box, but at least there is no fear that it's not what he wanted.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Why not buy the LUM TEC and then post pictures of potential boyfriends to give it to, post a poll and I'm sure your new WUS friends here would be happy to give many and varied opinions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts