WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody! I need some help finding a watch for my wife. She loves this Michael Kors watch (pictured below) I got her years ago. It lasted for about a year and then died. New batteries only last for a week or two. I really want to get her a similar watch that is mechanical. Looking for 34-38mm, yellow or rose gold case (would consider steel), preferably under $2500 (new or lightly used), and must be mechanical.

I am leaning toward a Nomos, but would love to see what other options are out there!

Thanks In advance!

·
Premium Member
IWC Porsche Design Titan, IWC Pilot Spitfire, Sinn EZM 10
5,051 Posts
My wife loves her Hamiltons (formerly MY Hamiltons). She didn’t want me bothering to fix her Rolex DJ or Cartier Tank (which only needed a battery). When her Hamilton needed service? “Here. Fix this.”
The Nomos is a nice upgrade. Stowa is a good recommendation too. Do you want to approach the high side of your budget? Also, is this a surprise for your wife? Or would she even want to offer assistance to you? I know my wife would brush it off. She actually thinks Rolex is fussy. She wouldn’t mind repairing a $500 Hamilton for $180, but doesn’t think spending a grand on a $6k Rolex is worth it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
So many brands making automatics for ladies, Bulova, Tissot, Rolex, Tag heuer, Cartier, Rado, Longines. Have fun with this and post photos.

·
Registered
544 Posts
The overall look of that watch is a traditional German look I think, and a lot of German companies make similar things; the prices vary a lot based on the materials and movements. The Junghans Max Bill is a classic one designed in 1961 by a major figure in modern art and design in Switzerland and Germany; Max Bill was a student at The Bauhaus and a founder of the Ulm School Of Design. They sell a version of this watch at the store for the Museum of Modern Art, which I thought was cool.

They make it in automatic, hand wound, quartz, and atomic clock synchronized, with a few different color combinations and looks. I have the hand wound, which is 34mm, and I like it a lot (you can get it for around $600). The automatic is 38mm, and costs around $900.
7871910B-96D1-4233-B7D9-451429ADE713_1573512678296.png

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My wife loves her Hamiltons (formerly MY Hamiltons). She didn’t want me bothering to fix her Rolex DJ or Cartier Tank (which only needed a battery). When her Hamilton needed service? “Here. Fix this.”
The Nomos is a nice upgrade. Stowa is a good recommendation too. Do you want to approach the high side of your budget? Also, is this a surprise for your wife? Or would she even want to offer assistance to you? I know my wife would brush it off. She actually thinks Rolex is fussy. She wouldn’t mind repairing a $500 Hamilton for $180, but doesn’t think spending a grand on a $6k Rolex is worth it.
Ideally I would like to stay in the $1k-$2k range, but I want something that will last her forever (with necessary service), so I am not afraid to pony up more upfront for something with a great track record. To answer your second question, yes this will be a surprise. I think she would be overwhelmed and discouraged if I were to include her on the 'hunt'.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The overall look of that watch is a traditional German look I think, and a lot of German companies make similar things; the prices vary a lot based on the materials and movements. The Junghans Max Bill is a classic one designed in 1961 by a major figure in modern art and design in Switzerland and Germany; Max Bill was a student at The Bauhaus and a founder of the Ulm School Of Design. They sell a version of this watch at the store for the Museum of Modern Art, which I thought was cool.

They make it in automatic, hand wound, quartz, and atomic clock synchronized, with a few different color combinations and looks. I have the hand wound, which is 34mm, and I like it a lot (you can get it for around $600). The automatic is 38mm, and costs around $900.
Absolutely beautiful! Junghans is a contender for sure.

·
Premium Member
36,381 Posts
Might look at the women's selection from Christopher Ward and some Mido's for another couple of suggestions.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
It sounds like you are going to jump from quartz to an automatic for her. Several years ago, I wouldn't have considered doing that for my wife as she would be put out by having to reset it constantly when it sat long enough to run out. Then I bought her a Datejust and got a winder in the deal. They make the perfect combination as she just keeps it in the winder when not wearing it and it hasn't stopped since we bought it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have a look at the Laco classics as they are an absolutely delish watch.
Sticky! You're the man. Just ordered a Cottbus 38! The determining factor was the lugs being 18mm rather than 20. I think that will fit her better in the long run. I will post pictures once it comes in. Thank you all for your help/suggestions, it was not an easy choice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts