WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to finally fulfill my dream hobby of making straps. As a first-timer, do any seasoned professionals
have any advice on good leather/appropriate tools/thread I should stock up on to get started??

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
736 Posts
The best investment to get started will be a good round knife, skiving knife, T-Square, starter set of hole punches, stitching punches, needles, contact cement (not rubber cement), divider for marking a straight line to punch your stitching holes. Tandy Leather is a great place to get started, reasonably priced tools and decent quality. eBay is also a good source for thread, tools and even leather. If you have a Tandy near your house you can buy scrap pieces of leather at a very reasonable price. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. Best of luck with your adventure!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
The best investment to get started will be a good round knife, skiving knife, T-Square, starter set of hole punches, stitching punches, needles, contact cement (not rubber cement), divider for marking a straight line to punch your stitching holes. Tandy Leather is a great place to get started, reasonably priced tools and decent quality. eBay is also a good source for thread, tools and even leather. If you have a Tandy near your house you can buy scrap pieces of leather at a very reasonable price. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. Best of luck with your adventure!
Listen to Shawn-He makes a nice strap

Reactions: okiwen

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Thanks Watchdaddy! Just trying to help a brother out. Figuring out what tools you actually need is the first hurdle. You know what you want it to look like but not quite sure which tool you need to do it! I am learning new tricks everyday and having a lot of fun doing it.
I agree I just purchased a strap from u from the bay
I'm William in Surprise,Az.
Told u we would talk again

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts