WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

All my life I've worn cheap, < $30 digital watches. Lately I've been thinking it'd be cool to have a nice, higher quality analog watch.

Just to give you an idea of what I'm like and what I'm looking for: I'm a young guy in my very early 20s and most of the time I'm wearing a white or black T-shirt and jeans, so I definitely don't want anything dressy or too flashy. I wouldn't be buying the watch to impress others -- just myself.

I've got ~6.5" wrists (slightly smaller actually) and I don't mind spending a couple hundred, but I think I'd prefer a quartz to an automatic as the inaccuracy of an automatic would most likely drive me nuts.

Chrono would be very cool, especially if it can time greater than 30 minutes to an hour, but it's not absolutely necessary.

Also, whatever watch I chose would be going on a NATO or Zulu strap as I think they provide such a great look.

Any ideas? I really like the look of the Seiko 007 -- in fact I almost thought it was "the one" -- especially this slightly modded one, but unfortunately it's an automatic. Is there an identical quartz version of the watch out there? I've seen a couple that look sorta similar but they're either discontinued or very expensive in comparison.

I also like this look (though I'd probably go for a more subtle black strap with maybe an orange stripe) -- though that Victorinox is a bit on the high end of what I'd like to spend, so I'd like to see if I can't find something a little less expensive that I like first.

Suggestions (and pictures) would be appreciated. Thanks guys! b-)

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
If you like the 007, I would suggest the SBCM023. Its discontinued now, but you can still get them. I think this on an Orange NATO would look insanely awesome.

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
+1 - sounds like the SBCM023 is the watch you're after - it's slightly over your budget though ($300 I think). Another alternative would be the Citizen BN0000.

Reactions: zippofan

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
The previous suggestions are surely your best bet. There's also the Momentum 1M-DV00B8B that could be added to the mix.

81TuiHmgiSS__AA1500_.jpg

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Perhaps a Luminox?
You should be able to find several models in your price range with quartz movements.

·
Registered
126 Posts
i'd look into seiko some more. they have tons of quartz watches in the $100-200 range and they have a reputation of quality and value per dollar.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
I've been lusting after this Seiko chrono for awhile now. Older model...but it is a beauty. Looks good on both leather and nato IMO.

Not my pic or wrist :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys!

@mike120, etc al.: The SBCM023 isn't bad, however it's a bit pricier than I'd like, especially for the feature set. Perhaps it'd be a different story if it cost roughly the same as the 007. Also, I was really looking to get the hands replaced by MCWW but according to their site, the SBCM023's movement can't accept the replacement hands (at least not the Plongeur hands he offes on his site).

@TheJohnP: Never was a fan of that style of watch, thanks though.

@Foxglove, I saw that Citizen before, and I like it.

@ZASKAR36, I also like that Seiko you showed; do you know what model that is?

Right now I'm really eying the Seiko SNDA65/67. I love the 12-hour chrono -- if only it had an alarm, then it'd be almost perfect. Just have to decide whether or not the "Black Ion Finish" on the SNDA65 is worth the extra $12. I think it might be.

So I'd say, for now, it's probably between that Citizen AT0200-05E pictured above, and the Seiko SNDA65, with me currently favoring the Seiko:

Citizen pros: Eco-drive; more ticks on the small second subdial (one for each second); slightly less expensive. A bit of a bolder look than the Seiko.

Citizen cons: Chrono only measures up to 60 minutes; no millisecond chrono subdial; not quite as attractive as the Seiko (to me) at least going by the pictures online, though it is a nice looking watch.

Seiko pros: From the pictures I've seen online at least, I think it might be a little more attractive; 12-hour chrono; 1/20 second chrono subdial.

Seiko cons: Fewer ticks on the small second subdial (only one for every 5 seconds -- why Seiko, why? though I guess after a while you'd be able to tell exactly what second it is).

Thoughts? Opinions of the quality of these watches?

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
That Seiko Black PVD chrono model is SNN217. There are other variants. I know there is a stainless steel version SNN215.

·
Registered
853 Posts
My two centavos. Jeans and T-shirt guys (of which I am one, but not always) is to get a tool watch like a Fortis and either a rubber strap for times when you may get it wet playing, or a heavy, leather strap. I think bracelets look better with a nicer outfit personally. I like heavy, and even aged leather for this. Simple, not "gaudy" designs.
KISS. Don't look like someone sold you a cheap knockoff downtown. You don't even have to get it new, the forums here have some good deals from members. Don't rush it. Spend time looking at all the makers of watches.
Hamilton, Fortis, Sinn, Ball are all good places to start (IMHO)
Ask questions. And good luck! Be forewarned, it's a disease. And an expensive one!

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I usually suggest Seiko in this price range, but one of the best quartz chronographs under $300 is the Tissot PRS200. A search here will yield a ton of threads. Perfect for your wrist size.

Reactions: zippofan

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
You've got some great options with the Citizen and Seiko's, and you've clearly done some research on them already. If you want even smaller, the Momentum Titan II, at 35.24 mm is about the smallest one around.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Maratec NATO four rings are my fave, and they're cheap. They take a lickin' and the concept is that if you lose/break a pin, the watch won't fall off to a painful death on the ground.
You can get a handful of colors for less than one decent leather strap. I'd still get at least one leather piece though. Part of the fun of owning watches, to me, is switching out straps. Maybe I'm just weird!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts