WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have this Universal Geneve with a 24 hour ring around the dial, which I see is often described as a WWII/Military model (however true that may or may not be).
It has a Universal 262 movement, which puts it early 40's according to Ranfft guide.
However, the movement is signed Universal Watch Co, which UG stopped using in 1937 according to their official site.

20180710_214936.jpg
20180710_215136.jpg

Would it have been made between in the early 40's and still have the earlier company name stamp?
Or would it be a late 30's model? Did UG use a 262 in the 30's?

It's confusing to me, sure someone on this forum can shed some light.

·
Registered
257 Posts
First of all, lovely UG, that 24h ring and those hands are absolutely gorgeous!
Now, I'm making an assumption here (so please forgive me if someone will correct me later on): Ranfft dates the movement pictured on the website, it doesn't date precisely when the production of the movement started. Also, you might have noticed that the movement on Ranfft has a different placing of the "262" engraving and most of all it has a serial number on it. On your movement, instead, there is a "15 fifteen jewels" engraving where the "262" mark usually is on later models and the "unadjusted" engraving where the serial number is placed on the later models. My assumption is that yours is a genuine 262 pre-40s movement (considering the "universal watch co" engraving as well). It would definitely be correct with the design of the dial too. Also, if this might help, here's a link to another UG which looks exactly like yours, UOW engraving on the balance cock, as per US import regulations, included:
https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/369-universal-geneve-mens-wrist-watch-smal

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First of all, lovely UG, that 24h ring and those hands are absolutely gorgeous!
Now, I'm making an assumption here (so please forgive me if someone will correct me later on): Ranfft dates the movement pictured on the website, it doesn't date precisely when the production of the movement started. Also, you might have noticed that the movement on Ranfft has a different placing of the "262" engraving and most of all it has a serial number on it. On your movement, instead, there is a "15 fifteen jewels" engraving where the "262" mark usually is on later models and the "unadjusted" engraving where the serial number is placed on the later models. My assumption is that yours is a genuine 262 pre-40s movement (considering the "universal watch co" engraving as well). It would definitely be correct with the design of the dial too. Also, if this might help, here's a link to another UG which looks exactly like yours, UOW engraving on the balance cock, as per US import regulations, included:
https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/369-universal-geneve-mens-wrist-watch-smal
That link does look to be the same watch model.
Even have a match on the case, just didn't include pic here, but mine has #964299 / 212139 engraved on the back.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Indeed, it is the same. That said, the movement might be pre-40s but the watch itself I'm pretty sure is post 40s, I'd say '42 according to the UG serial number charts and based on your serial number 964299 (212139 should be the ref number): 1942 to 1943 - 900.000 to 1.000.000
Also, if the dating of the s/n is correct, then this UG cal263 with the same characteristics of your cal262 (pre-40s) and similar s/n, then this listing is correct as well:
https://farfo.com/vintage-wristwatches/universal-geneve-vintage-military-watch-circa-1942/

It was rather normal to use older components on newer watches so I think that even UG could have done that too.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the great info ErreCi, knew I could count on WUS!

Reactions: ErreCi
1 - 7 of 7 Posts