WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I've got this watch on a watch lot bought in ebay. It seems to be a Komandirskie but there are some strange things.

The dial has the tank and the Vostok logo but not any other marks (number of jewels, letters below the 6)
The rear cover has a whale (seems an orca)

The 2 first points look not so strange but...

The case is completely un-chromed! It seems a "good job" because the case is not so used but no signs of chrome plate. Only between the glass and the dial there is the original plating, and it is gold plate, not silver plate!
Anothter strange point of the case is the shape, it is different from the standard Komandirskie cases, it is bigger, but no as big as a Ministry (I think).
The final strange point is the glass, it is glass! not plexi.

The movement is automatic and works OK. After removing a screw that was blocking the mechanism, the watch loose 5 minutes the 1st day and 3 the second one. Not bad!

Can anyone help me to identify this watch? is it a franken?

Here you are some pictures:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Let's see what the experts have to say - but I'll add my limited experience...

The case would seem to be the only odd item out. The bezel, face, movement are matches given my understanding...

I have a similar face, movement and bezel in a 2000 Komandirski which was bought directly in Russia in 2001 (so I feel comfortable it's a legit example.) Note: My example's dial matches your's exactly - no "...B CCCP" or "...MO CCCP" or jewels text. The case in my example is basically circular.

Similar to this example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/VOSTOK-MILITARY-TANK-wristwatch-AUTO-NEW-0062-/120554834509?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Wristwatches&hash=item1c11a0ca4d

Perhaps they re-assembled some of their Vostoks and got the cases wrong. Any other Vostoks in the lot? Perhaps simply a quick swap to get back on track.

-matt

·
Registered
97 Posts
I should add that my case back also has the leaping killer whale - so beyond the case, and I just noticed, the crown/stem, our watches are matches. If you look at that other pic in the ebay link in my earlier response you can see the crown is a smaller size. The crown on your's is the larger one from the earlier generation.

regards
matt

·
Registered
665 Posts

·
Registered
4,219 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so I have a mid-Franken or a full-Franken :(

It's quite strange that a no-Vostock case has the same dimentions as a Vostok one for the movement, crown, case back screw and bezel. Could be Vostok case from another model? I've always seen plexis on Vostok watches but this case has a glass.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Probably a replaced rotor. All the automatics that i have seen (Generalskie, Amphibia, until mid-'90s) have no welding points on the rotor. Of course, as usual, it's just my hint.

About that case, i have seen the strangest Vostok cases in ten years, and there is always a new one - never seen till now! :-s
so did they switch back? because all of the autos i have have no welding points either and they are all 2000 on.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
so did they switch back? because all of the autos i have have no welding points either and they are all 2000 on.
Maybe it's the contrary at this point? (welding points until late '90s, no welding points since 2000)?

What i can say, all my watches with "21 JEWELS" on the dial have no welding points, and they are until mid '90s. :think:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Probably a replaced rotor. All the automatics that i have seen (Generalskie, Amphibia, until mid-'90s) have no welding points on the rotor. Of course, as usual, it's just my hint.

About that case, i have seen the strangest Vostok cases in ten years, and there is always a new one - never seen till now! :-s
Just a question Michele,
I wonder when Vostok began to put "Rus" mark instead of SU? 1992 or slightly later? It seems to me,regarding one of my amphibias which has a Soviet dial but Russian and possibly 21 jewel 2416b movement.
Cheers

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Just a question Michele,
I wonder when Vostok began to put "Rus" mark instead of SU? 1992 or slightly later? It seems to me,regarding one of my amphibias which has a Soviet dial but Russian and possibly 21 jewel 2416b movement.
Cheers
Slightly later (mid-'90s AFAIK), as SU-marked stock parts were still in use during 1992-93. Please post a pic of the watch/movement.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Slightly later (mid-'90s AFAIK), as SU-marked stock parts were still in use during 1992-93. Please post a pic of the watch/movement.
Yes, I do think so. I hereby attached the movement. Your views are appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
very strange indeed. check this out all of my 2416b's are like this
https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=68330
So what of yours 2416B have welding points? None of them?
There are 3 choices:

1) welding points first, no-welding points after
2) no-welding points first, welding points after
3) the two types of rotors were produced together at the same time :-s

Choose one :think: or some other hypothesis?

·
Registered
665 Posts
all my watches with "21 JEWELS" on the dial have no welding points, and they are until mid '90s. :think:
Mine too.

One other difference i see between both versions:
The distance from the bottom of the "B" symbol to the junction of the rotor is lower in the 21 jewels version:

21 jewels:

31 Jewels:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts