WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I am new to this forum but I recently bought this Omega Seamaster DeVille.

I tried to find information about this model from the Omega database but could not find anything even when I searched with the cal. number.
Since I am very new to this it might be that I just somehow failed to use the database search engine. :think:

But here is the info:

It should be cal. 284 and according to the seller it has 20 jewels (though it says 17 on the mechanism?)
The number is 16.xxx.xxx and it is made during 1958.

This is the info from the seller.

So since I did not have such luck finding info about the model could someone else help me? Thanks in advance!
Here are also pics of the watch.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Metal Fashion accessory

·
Registered
470 Posts
There are numbers on the inside of the caseback which I can't quite see in the photo. Probably 4 digits then a dash? Put those 4 digits into the omega vintage database.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
There are numbers on the inside of the caseback which I can't quite see in the photo. Probably 4 digits then a dash? Put those 4 digits into the omega vintage database.

Yup just found out which model it is.

But compared to my Omega it does not look anything like that... So is my watch a different version of the same watch same as nowadays there are for example Planet Oceans which are made out of different materials such as rose gold or stainless steel?

Can't get the link work so here is the model number: 2938

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hmmm, the 2938 is a straight Seamaster, not a De Ville. It also has a coat hanger S in Seamaster. Yours doesn't have the coat hanger S, and the second S is also a slightly different font. That makes me think it is possible it is a replacement or repainted dial?

Yes, each model came with many many different dials. However, they all would have used the same font and same "branding" (although there are always exceptions to this).

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
As CanbOmega has suggested, the watch is not a De Ville. The 2938 is a handwind calibre 284 watch whereas most De Villes were automatics and produced later than this piece.

As the dial has been refinished incorrectly with the De Ville livery, the piece has identity issues and 'purists' would probably opt fopr an all-original version of this model.

Cheers
Desmond.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As CanbOmega has suggested, the watch is not a De Ville. The 2938 is a handwind calibre 284 watch whereas most De Villes were automatics and produced later than this piece.

As the dial has been refinished incorrectly with the De Ville livery, the piece has identity issues and 'purists' would probably opt fopr an all-original version of this model.

Cheers
Desmond.
Hi guys and thanks for your info I really appreciate it.

Would you say that the identity issues would be fixed if the dial would be correctly repainted since all of the parts including the dial are original?

BTW does anybody know if this watch has an Omega logo on the strap buckle and which kind of strap did it originally have?

Regards MrOswald

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hi guys and thanks for your info I really appreciate it.

Would you say that the identity issues would be fixed if the dial would be correctly repainted since all of the parts including the dial are original?

BTW does anybody know if this watch has an Omega logo on the strap buckle and which kind of strap did it originally have?

Regards MrOswald

To collectors, a repainted dial can never be correct. It is virtually impossible to get it 100%. You could hunt for a correct replacement dial on eBay, also check out watchco in Australia, who have omega service dials available.

Re straps - they were dealer sold accessories, so you should feel free to do whatever you want on this. Personally I don't see the point of an omega buckle - expensive, and for little purpose

·
Registered
61 Posts
For this watch, I agree wholeheartedly. If this was a high carat vintage though I'd probably disagree on the buckle. I spent £100 GBP sourcing a 9 carat vintage buckle to go with my 18ct De Ville (and Birmingham hallmarked.. my home city!). With a watch of that quality, it'd be a shame not to have a vintage buckle - and I'm a perfectionist so it had to be gold. But for a steel watch, it's not worth the expense.

Re straps - they were dealer sold accessories, so you should feel free to do whatever you want on this. Personally I don't see the point of an omega buckle - expensive, and for little purpose

1 - 8 of 8 Posts