WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
"The automatic Cosmonaute Chrono-matic ref 1809 was released in March, the first automatic chronograph ever, beating the Zenith El Primero to the market by a few weeks. Partly because the name 'El Primero' means 'The First' a myth has grown that the Zenith El Primero was the first automatic chronograph but this is not strictly true. (The Chrono-matic movement is modular; the El Primero was the first integrated automatic chronograph movement). "

https://www.watchuseek.com/f39/breitling-cosmonaute-history-development-legend-4034.html

Can someone give me some info on the Heuer stop watch, first watch i space. Isn't there a Russian watch that should be first in space? Also, shouldn't the first tourbillon be on the list?
The El Primero (project development began in 1965) was presented to the press on January 10, 1969 in Geneva. Breitling/Büren/Hamilton/Heuer et al. realized they could not afford to wait to the upcoming Basel watch fair to unveil their project, the caliber 11 (project development began in january 1966 after Dubois & Cie, nowadays known as Dubois Depraz, had approached Willy Breitling with the idea to develop an automatic chronograph in early 1965), so they presented it to the public in Geneva aswell on March 3, 1969. Seiko began their development of the 6138/6139 integrated chronograph caliber around 1967, releasing it to dealers already in May 1969.

Zenith first introduced the automatic chronograph watch to the public, while Seiko's watch was the first to appear on the market. And while Breitling et al. were close behind the others in production, they were probably the first to put out a plan for such a watch in motion.

Regards
Undersköterskan

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

·
Registered
848 Posts
You may want to add bulova accutron to your list
This is a hard list to make - lots of good ideas here. I'd agree the Bulova tuning fork movement deserves some love. Pretty amazing stopgap technology between mechanical and quartz. I read about Apollo spacecraft using them for their accuracy -- although Omegas were on the wrists

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
...what do you all think of this one? car themed watches!
Nothing by Porsche Design? Really?

And no Daytona?

What I think is you should have done a little more research!

Reactions: Tom-HK

·
Registered
606 Posts
How about the first coolest watch in highschool... Swatch!

First coolest watch in college...Tag Heuer F1!

First coolest watch out of college...Tag Heuer 1000!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Nothing by Porsche Design? Really?

And no Daytona?

What I think is you should have done a little more research!
i agree there are many more that would have for the list, for me the Porsche design wasn't in my top ten. There were some others that I wanted to include, but alas there is only ten. As far as the Daytona is concerned, I have lots of love and it is one of the greatest watches In world, and a great racing heritage, but as far as a specific partnership with a car brand, or modeled after a certain vehicle, it isn't that. Thanks for the comment.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts