WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help !!! ( Urgent !!! - NO joke !)

I just wanted to wind up my Avenger Seawolf, so I unscrewed the crown and I started to wind VERY SLOWLY...and...I see that the crown is in wrong positition.....:-( :-( :-(

Totday it is the 2nd January, and I see that the half of the two is vanished and the half of the coming 3 is apperared.

And....it is now 20.19 PM !!!! :-s :-s :-s

Have I damaged already the gear ???

What must I do ?

And what can I do to avoid that the crown is in the wrong position ????

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
Calm Marc,

Read Zen and the Art of motorcycle maintenance, and start again tomorrow.

(meant is the best possable way ;_)

Al

Marc you in Oxford???

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Marc lives in Belgium ;-)

So "I do noooothing" ??? ( Just like Manuel in Fawlty Towers ? )

·
Premium Member
8,237 Posts
Marc - chill - nothing damaged - if you do what you did, then what happened will happen b-)

1. Wind it a full turn and let the date drop to the 3rd
2. Press crown in & screw it up.
3. Go for a beer, a curry, a video & to bed.
4. Tomorrow morning after your coffee n museli, unscrew the crown and let it simply pop out (but dont pull it out 1 click)
5. Gently wind it a few dozen times to power up the mainspring.
6. Gently pull it out 1 click and wind through the complete date wheel to the 3rd again
7. Gently pull out to 2nd click & adjust hands to correct time.

That's what I'd do - what about the rest of you guys?

si

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx....I am a little bit more calm now.
I will pray that everything's all right....:think:

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I would go with Si, theres nothing to worry about.

Enjoy the watch

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would go with Si, theres nothing to worry about.

Enjoy the watch

OK, but I change the beer for a good French wine ! :-d
Thx Lou...

But can someone tell me ( please ) what CAN happen between 8 pm and 3 am with a mechanical watch....
It still isn't clear to me...

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
8,939 Posts
Hi,
To put it simply the gear that changes the date might be damaged.
During the hours 8pm-2am the movement engages this gear.
When the date has changed this gear is no longer 'in play' so the date can be
advanced manually if necessary. You have tripped over the date wheel by moving the crown and the change gear. As the others have said this shouldn't be a problem. If you advanced the date 25 days this might have caused unnecessary stress and damaged the gear but this is not a certainty.
So as the guys said, a small drink, your choice of refreshment, and in the morning you should be free to set the correct date and get a feel for how the crown and stem feels. It does take a bit of practice. But its not rocket science :).

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,
To put it simply the gear that changes the date might be damaged.
During the hours 8pm-2am the movement engages this gear.
When the date has changed this gear is no longer 'in play' so the date can be
advanced manually if necessary. You have tripped over the date wheel by moving the crown and the change gear. As the others have said this shouldn't be a problem. If you advanced the date 25 days this might have caused unnecessary stress and damaged the gear but this is not a certainty.
So as the guys said, a small drink, your choice of refreshment, and in the morning you should be free to set the correct date and get a feel for how the crown and stem feels. It does take a bit of practice. But its not rocket science :).
:) (still a LITTLE bit worried, you see ;-) )
But, I guess it will be all right if so many friends came to "rescue" me...;-)

Thx for the info !

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Hi, Marc. Good on ya'! I like the way Simon advised you...

but of course he has quite extensive professional experience.
Is Simon a watchmaker or so ?

Thx to all for your sympathy...

Mostly I am (abnormal) very careful with my watches, my photography equipment an my wines....( euh... and also with my wife :-d )

But an accident can happen quickly....

·
Registered
8,242 Posts

Is Simon a watchmaker or so ?

Thx to all for your sympathy...

Mostly I am (abnormal) very careful with my watches, my photography equipment an my wines....( euh... and also with my wife :-d )

But an accident can happen quickly....
Are congratulations in order? Is this what you're trying to tell us?

Todd

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Are congratulations in order? Is this what you're trying to tell us?

Todd
Hi Todd,

Is my English soooo bad ?:-d ;-)

Let's have it another try:

1) I would thank everybody for al their reply's.

2) I would say that how careful one can be, there is always the risk that something happens....

Is this better now ?

·
Premium Member
8,237 Posts

but of course he has quite extensive professional experience. Happy New Year, Si! Good to hear from you again! :-!
Cheers,
Ron
Cheers Ron |> - I've been hanging around Dive Watch forum for a while - boys are growing so budget for Breitlings diminished & am picking up hints for some quality bargain divers. Still loving the Navitimer & Seawolf & recently been wearing my SO which has only seen light of day once in a year or more!

I certainly have extensive experience in beer, curry & sleep & in hearing my beloved say "chill - forget that stupid watch, its past ur bedtime"

grace

si

·
Premium Member
8,237 Posts

Is my English soooo bad ?:-d ;-)

Let's have it another try:
1) I would thank everybody for al their reply's.
2) I would say that how careful one can be, there is always the risk that something happens....
Is this better now ?

Your English is great Marc, better than our Flemish (?) Anyway - that Seawolf is a fantastic watch - your yellow dialled one is a legend - I love mine - its extremely rugged outside & the Breitling reworked 2824 is simple & tough as nails. Enjoy it.

si

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Your English is great Marc, better than our Flemish (?) Anyway - that Seawolf is a fantastic watch - your yellow dialled one is a legend - I love mine - its extremely rugged outside & the Breitling reworked 2824 is simple & tough as nails. Enjoy it.

si

Thx Simon !
I first felt in love with the B1 - which is the PERFECT tool watch - and oh sooooo beautiful - but since I have the AS, it's every day a true dilemma to choose....
I can't get off my eyes of that yellow thing....even when I'm driving....:roll: ;-)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts